ARCADE MASTER RACE GTFIH

Discussion in 'The Arcade' started by HHJ, Nov 17, 2020.

1. HHJ Fedor and Khabib Supremacist

How many of you are old enough to remember arcades?

Remember arcades man?

I do. In NYC we had one called More Fun,in bensonhurst. It was conveniently located next to the Toysrus and the caesars bay bazaar,a place where you can buy alot of wicked illegal and bootleg stuff... and also was by the water. So as an 80's kid that place was a place visited often.

I first saw Street Fighter there...first played Mortal Kombat

There was this huge,multi level arcade goliath called Funtime USA

The area where Funtime USA was near a dump,so it smelled like shit outside. It was also really hard to get to,so I didnt go often,but I do remember first playing Soul Edge there.

Those places are all gone now.

Its all gone.

Dead and gone.

[​IMG]

2. HHJ Fedor and Khabib Supremacist

TELL ME ABOUT YOUR ARCADE EXPERIENCES GROWING UP OMFG

3. Holic Sock Puppet Exorcist

4. Jose Beehive No.1 Soldier Of God Gif User

I got banned from 3 when I was a kid, there was a row of 4 though, so with the pennies i'd rob from the 2p machines, i'd go and change them in the one I wasn't banned in and go nuts for free. Good times.

I also got into a few scraps playing pool in one but can't remember all the details, just used to kick off.

5. HHJ Fedor and Khabib Supremacist

Fuckin savage

Jose Beehive likes this.
  6. HHJ Fedor and Khabib Supremacist

Thats funny...

God it smelled like shit over there. Does it say anything about that in there?

7. HHJ Fedor and Khabib Supremacist

@Holic

these reviews are from 2017 and 2020...i think they somehow still exist.........

8. ICHEERTHEBULL Brown Belt

Such good times. The best in fact. Having said that by brother bought one of those arcade machines with 3000 games on and my god the classics I loved were a rip off!! Talk about pay to win.

Did you guys ever still kind of hear the sounds when you went home after hours at a arcade ? Street fighter was a game changer! There was a machine outside a shop at the bus stop and we ended up having weekly fights with another school over that machine until the police took notice lol

HHJ and Valhoven like this.
  9. Bushpig Man. Myth. Moustache. Platinum Member

I was that little kid who never had money but spent all my time watching older kids play.

1942 was my goto with my one coin allowance.

loyalyolayal likes this.
  10. Patrick Jane 美猴王

Arcade games are amazing.

[​IMG]

Strychnine, Bob Gray and Plissken like this.
  11. treelo //Do something here

12. HHJ Fedor and Khabib Supremacist

I miss that vibe. Like nothing was cooler than spotting a new game,and wishing you could take it home.
    We have two bars in NYC that are called BARCADE that have like 20 or so old school machines. Thats something i never did back then was drink and play.

JohnSAFTAHess and Plissken like this.
  13. Valhoven Old Road Belt Staff Member Senior Moderator

HHJ authoring feelz with this one. I do remember the queues at MK and Killer Instinct cabinets blocking foot traffic but Shinobi and Ninja Gaiden being personal favourites, along with Bad Dudes in fingerless-gloved glory. It was a simpler time. No mobiles. No memes. Just fun. And skateboards. Boys were boys. Let me know if anyone else gets TKO'd by nostalgia with this one and then the bonus shuriken stage:

14. Holic Sock Puppet Exorcist

I remember at one point I got into the underground hustle by selling move lists for Mortal Kombat 3 when it first came out for like $5 a pop.

Whoever originally wrote it got most of the moves right but they lumped in so much bullshit about secret characters that didn' exist. I think I may have unwittingly been working with the Russian government.

HHJ and Jose Beehive like this.
  15. Holic Sock Puppet Exorcist

I also learned a bit of psychological manipulation in my later years, via the use of Dance Dance Revolution machines (because of course).

Hanging in Lazer Park at Times Square one day, I noticed a consistent pattern with these dancing games. A group of people, usually girls, would approach the machine but nobody would go on it. They would then argue and eventually select one or two people to try it and that person/people would inevitably fail. Then they would all laugh and belittle the test subject even though they were the ones who put them in that situation in the first place. Then they would all move on. This happened pretty often during the week.

I learned that if you ran up afterward and showed the test subject how to play, you could flip the script and get the whole group fighting over who got to play next, and keep them on one machine for hours. It's amazing how you can puppet a crowd with just a few bits of info and a little observation.

Jose Beehive likes this.
  16. jerzey devil Jerzey-Duz-It

A restaurant, because the customer is always right
    Grew up going to the Jersey Shore. Arcades are a huge part of my childhood. These are what I played most...

JohnSAFTAHess and El Che like this.
  17. Crimson Fury Elijah Modnar

Fighting games were serious business back then.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

nicapica, HHJ, Valhoven and 1 other person like this.
  18. Snubnoze707 High Level

I feel like being part of the Arcade Master Race would require owning your own arcade cabinet.

I'm unfortunately not part of that race, however I have aspirations to own a Tekken cabinet at some point in life - Tekken 3, Tekken Tag, Tekken 5 (DR) would do. And not some Mame shit, a real one.

19. Pliny Pete Puts Butts In Seats

Im old enough to remember when everything was an arcade
    Ghetto corner store has some room in the storage closet, boom now its an arcade
    All you can eat buffet has some space past those tables, boom now its an arcade
    Mexican restaurant has just enough space for a tabletop Galaga game next to the bathroom door, boom now its an arcade
    Everywhere you went, business owners were cramming arcade games into any empty space they could find to try and relieve us of as many quarters as possible
    It was a simpler time and it was glorious!

20. houjebek Purple Belt

Belgium, the land of Vandamme, beer & RED DEVILS
    There was an arcade next to the trainstation in my town.
    It had
    Mortal Kombat
    Streetfighter 2
    Later also Dead Or Alive
    King of Fighters (tounament)
    Rally Game (don't remember the name)

Good times, but very costly imo.
    I remember we went on a schooltrip to the capital and there was an arcade that had a Golden Axe... Remember that game?