AR9...thoughts?

Here's a 9mm AR that looks to have some potential for multi-caliber from Armslist that is a private seller that is relatively close to me.

http://www.armslist.com/posts/7849956/lexington-kentucky-rifles-for-sale--9mm-ar#

$550
7849956_01_9mm_ar_640.jpg

This is one of ASA's earlier 9mm AR's and was manufactured using 556/223 lower and installing a magazine block to accept the 9mm uzi or colt style mags and the upper is a dedicated 9mm of course. One of the great things with this rifle is you can remove the block and put a 556/233 upper and have some variability.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I'd be more interested in that first one and I'd be looking to talk him down. Maybe $450. Uzi mags are cheap.

@Teppodama

My Opinion.

If you're going to get one gun, get it with some useful features for the given goal, which is making Hits. That's what counts.

If you just don't have the money, don't care about hitting anything, or have a wild hair to get something then what you listed is prolly fine.

Here's my beater gun.

Rock River 2 stage trigger

WIlson Stainless Barrel with a Mid-length gas system, (covered up cause its shiny)

Longer gas system is better.

A cheap bushnell scope

A Cheese dick strap, (it fell off already)

(Hunter Town Arms Suppressor is optional.)

I like 20rnd mags personally cause I can build better positions to make better hits

VZM.IMG_20170312_185915_resized.jpg

This was 5 shots from 100 yards using the hood of my truck for a rest. You can see because I had no rear support my Group is drifting across. It's still Minute of Hog.

VZM.IMG_20170312_185951.jpg

Cliff:

2 Stage Trigger
Stainless Barrel with Midlength gas system
Sights you can see.
Bullets and Mags n shit.
Try not to overpay for stuff that looks cool.

You can never miss fast enough to win a gun fight or shooting match.[/user]

@Cubo de Sangre
@RerouteToRemain

Thanks for your thoughts guys. Appreciate it.

ReroutetoRemain - When I saw the listing for the M&P15, I jumped online to look up some reviews. Also watched a pretty decent video from NutnFancy on Youtube. Take that for what it's worth as far as a Youtube review but he seems to be a closely respected as Hickok45 as far as knowledgable opinions. His review made it sound like a pretty decent entry level budget conscious AR.

But that's one of the reasons I ask here as well, to get information from people that know more than I do on this subject. :)

@Cubo de Sangre - Aside from the kit that apparently comes along with the M&P15 listing I have to admit I also was a bit more drawn to the first one simply due to the whole 223/556 lower. Unless I'm mistaken it would just take purchasing a 223/556 upper to convert that up and I've have the 9mm for range practice, learning drills and building familiarity with the rifle. That would be nice with cheaper 9mm ammo. Then convert to 223/556 once I actually have some techniques and skills developed.

I'm not dirt poor but money is always a major consideration for anything I have or plan to do with my firearms. I have more responsibility toward projects and upkeep around my house that need my time and finances to consider so while I have a lot of enthusiasm and am determined to get my kit together with pistol, shotgun and rifle I have to keep what I'm spending in mind.

All of my "gun money" is cash I save and set aside during a given month. No credit card usage...dug ourselves out of credit debt and barely ever use them anymore unless it's an emergency but we keep an emergency cash reserve for that as well.

@Teppodama

My Opinion.

If you're going to get one gun, get it with some useful features for the given goal, which is making Hits. That's what counts.

If you just don't have the money, don't care about hitting anything, or have a wild hair to get something then what you listed is prolly fine.

Here's my beater gun.

Rock River 2 stage trigger

WIlson Stainless Barrel with a Mid-length gas system, (covered up cause its shiny)

Longer gas system is better.

A cheap bushnell scope

A Cheese dick strap, (it fell off already)

(Hunter Town Arms Suppressor is optional.)

I like 20rnd mags personally cause I can build better positions to make better hits

View attachment 364403

This was 5 shots from 100 yards using the hood of my truck for a rest. You can see because I had no rear support my Group is drifting across. It's still Minute of Hog.

View attachment 364405

Cliff:

2 Stage Trigger
Stainless Barrel with Midlength gas system
Sights you can see.
Bullets and Mags n shit.
Try not to overpay for stuff that looks cool.

You can never miss fast enough to win a gun fight or shooting match.[/user]
How much did cost to put that together?

@Cubo de Sangre
@RerouteToRemain

ReroutetoRemain - When I saw the listing for the M&P15, I jumped online to look up some reviews. Also watched a pretty decent video from NutnFancy on Youtube. Take that for what it's worth as far as a Youtube review but he seems to be a closely respected as Hickok45 as far as knowledgable opinions. His review made it sound like a pretty decent entry level budget conscious AR.

But that's one of the reasons I ask here as well, to get information from people that know more than I do on this subject. :)

@Cubo de Sangre - Aside from the kit that apparently comes along with the M&P15 listing I have to admit I also was a bit more drawn to the first one simply due to the whole 223/556 lower. Unless I'm mistaken it would just take purchasing a 223/556 upper to convert that up and I've have the 9mm for range practice, learning drills and building familiarity with the rifle. That would be nice with cheaper 9mm ammo. Then convert to 223/556 once I actually have some techniques and skills developed.

I'm not dirt poor but money is always a major consideration for anything I have or plan to do with my firearms. I have more responsibility toward projects and upkeep around my house that need my time and finances to consider so while I have a lot of enthusiasm and am determined to get my kit together with pistol, shotgun and rifle I have to keep what I'm spending in mind.

All of my "gun money" is cash I save and set aside during a given month. No credit card usage...dug ourselves out of credit debt and barely ever use them anymore unless it's an emergency but we keep an emergency cash reserve for that as well.

I'd check gunbroker before making any used purchases. The AR market has been saturated but all this Parkland shit might have bumped prices back up. $450 for that might even be too much. But you can see what people are actually paying for something similar and then make an offer accordingly on any face to face dealings.

I'd check gunbroker before making any used purchases. The AR market has been saturated but all this Parkland shit might have bumped prices back up. $450 for that might even be too much. But you can see what people are actually paying for something similar and then make an offer accordingly on any face to face dealings.
Solid suggestion. Thank you

If money is a chief concern then you can get a better gun that fits your budget by building it. Plus, you'll learn all you need to know about the platform. If I can do it then anyone can.

Looking up the pieces.

I think I traded some competition shit for the lower. At the time I think the Bushmaster lowers with stock and rock river 2 stage was like $350

I don't see it but upper from these guys in Stainless is what I got. 1/8 twist

http://www.pkfirearms.com/rock-river-arms-16-inch-mid-chrome-lined-lightweight-single-rail-gas-block

They only show this one in Stainless
http://www.pkfirearms.com/rock-river-arms-16-inch-mid-stainless-steel-hbar-rra-tro-mid-rail

The Chromoly barrel is prolly fine for such a gun, you won't notice anything unless you're trying to drill 20 consecutive shots in the same spot and then around shot 11 the Chromoly barrels will sometimes change point of impact for the remaining 9 shots.

Here's the trigger
http://www.primaryarms.com/rock-river-arms-national-match-2-stage-ar-15-trigger-ar0093nmk-ar0093nmk

Easy to install, even @Cubo de Sangre can do it!

The scope was $189 when I bought it, here's the link now

https://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Illuminated-Reticle-223-Riflescope-Turrets/dp/B00AU6EIIY

I got it and the cheap mount that pops up on that page.

3m Horse wrap tape to cover up the shiny shit.

magpul 20rnd magazines.

Bout it.

If money is a chief concern then you can get a better gun that fits your budget by building it. Plus, you'll learn all you need to know about the platform. If I can do it then anyone can.
Do you suggest starting with the lower first? Complete or stripped? I imagine that most would say going with a stripped and then building it back up exactly the way you want would be the way to go, but are there pretty decent budget conscious completes out there worth looking into?

An Now for a Shameless Post:

Any one interested in an over weight AR upper?

I got one, the one I used to compete with before I got fat and lazy. Its a complete Match upper with a Krieger 1/7 twist fit n chambered by WHiteOak. $995 when I purchased it. Has probably 1600 rnds through it. Generally speaking its set to shoot 77rgn and 80 grn rounds. It'll shoot 69grn, but anything lighter and you'll be noticing it cycles slow cause it has an undersized gas hole to help keep from beating the gun when loaded hot for 600 yards etc...

It shoots like 10 motherfuckers, but now it only dwells in my gun safe. I'd rather have something shorter and lighter to whacking feral Hogs.

$500 you can have it and the rest of my Highpower shit, A shooting jacket, sling, glove, (blah blah etc)

Here's Whiteoaks page you can see the prices of the different barrels
https://www.whiteoakarmament.com/shop/complete-uppers.html

Here's mine. it a 24 inch, Measures .910 at the muzzle.

PM me for an email and any other details.

0513140542_resized.jpg 1.jpg 0513140542_resized.jpg IMG_5489.jpg IMG_5492.jpg IMG_5495.jpg

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    315.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Do you suggest starting with the lower first? Complete or stripped? I imagine that most would say going with a stripped and then building it back up exactly the way you want would be the way to go, but are there pretty decent budget conscious completes out there worth looking into?

If I were in the market for a budget factory gun then here's my choice. I think Ruger is a quality company so there's some bias on my part.

https://gunprime.com/product/ruger-ar-556-556-nato-16-1-black-30rd-8500/

If you want to build then you'll get a better gun for your budget and we're all happy to point you in the right direction. I think building the lower would provide more benefit than the upper. Grips, triggers, safety selectors, and stocks are things you'll likely end up swapping out on the factory gun anyway. Ideally where you spend your money though is the trigger, barrel, and optic.

@Teppodama, I'm not really the best source of information here; I owned one AR, once, for only like a year.

My comment was more on pistol calibre carbines and my opinion still stands, if you want to shoot an AR on the cheap, just get a .22LR upper.

That said, I agree with those who have said that if you're going to get a 9mm PCC, get one built around Glock mags.

@Cubo de Sangre
@RerouteToRemain

Be wary of YouTube reviews by big names. People will get shunned by companies for giving out bad reviews.

As far as the 9mm rifle. I would likely stay away from it. 9mm is actually pretty rough on parts. So if the guy wasn't using correct buffer weights(5+ oz) he could have been beating the rifle up. But yes an upper and buffer swap should cover it.

Also 9mm to 5.56 is going to feel quite different and 9mm is going to start dropping basically immediately.

A semi auto(10/22, AR, whatever) .22lr rifle for a couple hundred would probably be better. Very cheap ammo. You can buy an AR lower as well if you are worried about bans, supply, etc. Or an ar15 with a .22lr kit.

Back