Aqua Punching Bag 12" Head Hunter Review

TBK117

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Hey I thought Id write a mini review (and perhaps elaborate more later) on my new Aqua Punching Bag 12" Head Hunter.
This thing is awesome! A lot of the videos they post online made me skeptical because they probably are handing out free aqua bags to everyone interviewed. But this thing is no gimmick, it really is easier on your joints, absorbs impact, moves less, et.
Im waiting to fill up my 18" and have been working on the 12" Head Hunter, 35lbs, and it is really different than other bags Ive worked with. I don't have it hung from their long aqua chain, so it comes back to me faster after hitting it than a lot of the videos of Ive seen hitting it forcing me to move my head or keep my hands up.
Its especially good for elbows because I can actually land directly on the bone (it makes a specific sound) from every angle.
Let me know if you guys have any questions!

This thread just saved me about $50. There's absolutely no question the Aqua Training Bag is just a repurposed Taylor Made Tuff End buoy. The available sizes are the same for both products. The nozzle is the same. Even the markings and branding around the hoop section atop the bag are the same. Everything is the same.

So I got a 15-inch Tuff End Buoy from JMS Online Marine Supply (www.jmsonline.net) for $48, including shipping. I spent about $20 on a shackle, swivel and two carabiniers, and force-fed water from my hose into the hole without a water balloon nozzle. Pretty tough to find one of those in a dollar store in the Northeast on the edge of winter. No problem filling the bag other than my arms and feet getting a little wet.

JMS had the best price, and its service was incredibly fast. I got my buoy/bag in two days.

Aqua sells the same sized bag for $99, and it includes a swivel and chains. With shipping, the cost probably would be around $110-120. So I saved a cool $50. Stoked! Thanks again for the detective work that determined the Aqua Bag is a Taylor Made Tuff End buoy.

12247096_10206936285997501_4892058563566819269_n.jpg

things to add:
- The striking surface is not huge, despite it being easier on the hands if its swinging around and you aren't the most accurate puncher or a beginner you could hit it at weird angles. But overall its much easier on my hands and joints.
- When I knee the bag it goes flying straight up into the air, this lighter version moves around a bit because its only 35 pounds. You can catch the bag while its swinging towards you for other power shots but not for strikes going straight upwards I will let you know how the 120lbs version handles them when I try it out.
- Cant say much about customer service besides they didn't answer any of the calls I tried to make. I didn't email them or leave a message, and I didn't call them over and over so I wouldn't take this as them being difficult to get ahold of its just my personal experience. Their voicemail said to leave a message and they would get back to me and I chose not to do so.

Traveled to another gym to train and got on one of these last night. Sick bag to use. Much better than a wrecking ball

This thread just saved me about $50. There's absolutely no question the Aqua Training Bag is just a repurposed Taylor Made Tuff End buoy. The available sizes are the same for both products. The nozzle is the same. Even the markings and branding around the hoop section atop the bag are the same. Everything is the same.

So I got a 15-inch Tuff End Buoy from JMS Online Marine Supply (www.jmsonline.net) for $48, including shipping. I spent about $20 on a shackle, swivel and two carabiniers, and force-fed water from my hose into the hole without a water balloon nozzle. Pretty tough to find one of those in a dollar store in the Northeast on the edge of winter. No problem filling the bag other than my arms and feet getting a little wet.

JMS had the best price, and its service was incredibly fast. I got my buoy/bag in two days.

Aqua sells the same sized bag for $99, and it includes a swivel and chains. With shipping, the cost probably would be around $110-120. So I saved a cool $50. Stoked! Thanks again for the detective work that determined the Aqua Bag is a Taylor Made Tuff End buoy.

12247096_10206936285997501_4892058563566819269_n.jpg

Wow so cool. Could you post a picture of the hole cap or screw? Would like to compare. Thanks.

Here you go, man:

IMG_0156.jpg

Screw and unscrew with a Phillips head screwdriver. Just be very careful -- it's plastic and can strip if you torque it too hard. No leaks whatsoever because of a rubber seal and quality manufacturing.

I don't know about other brands having a screw-type cap, since all buoys like this are designed to be filled with air. But Taylor Made Tuff End buoys have this type of cap. Again, the exact cap used on the Aqua bag, since the Aqua bag is a Tuff End buoy!

Tuff End buoys are made to protect docks from large yachts, so I'm not worried about breakage. And the black hoop-buoy end attachment is load-tested to 2,000 pounds per square inch. This bag weighs 75 pounds full, so I'm pretty confident it will hold up fine. :)

Tuff End buoys are made to protect docks from large yachts, so I'm not worried about breakage. And the black hoop-buoy end attachment is load-tested to 2,000 pounds per square inch. This bag weighs 75 pounds full, so I'm pretty confident it will hold up fine. :)

Just watch those thunderous overhands, maybe take it down a notch or two so as to not exceed 2000 lbs./In.^2, you should be good then

Other notable items seen in the photos that I will probably write a review on in the future, but feel free to ask questions here:
*Outslayer 55x20 150lbs Heavy Bag in Black/Red (There website only has one color option but I contacted them and went with a color scheme from their other bags) This Bag has a smaller version of their logo, for those who enjoy the minimalist look.
*Outslayer 36x20 100lbs? Heavy Bag in Black/Red/White (isn't shown on their website, similar to a fairtex extra wide heavy bag for middle kick purposes, I don't like those half and half bags though I wanted the same striking surface on the whole bag, mine is packed very tightly, much harder than my other outslayer bag)
*Outslayer custom height stand
*Title Double Trouble Stand is in that box with the gloves sitting on top of it (haven't set it up yet but I'll let you guys know how it works out)

Last edited:
also, question- how full did you fill it/what seems to be the proper amount to get that sweet window for hittability

this looks like an interesting option for those of us living in apartments. Are there any videos of the bag being punched?

Just watch those thunderous overhands, maybe take it down a notch or two so as to not exceed 2000 lbs./In.^2, you should be good then

I'm 50, dude: I'll never be mistaken for Golovkin or Kovalev. :)

this looks like an interesting option for those of us living in apartments. Are there any videos of the bag being punched?

If you go on tje Aqua punching bag website, there is several You Tube videos in which you can see the 12" and 21" bags getting punched.

also, question- how full did you fill it/what seems to be the proper amount to get that sweet window for hittability

Filled it with my garden hose, no special attachment such as a water balloon filler. Just set the bag on the ground and forced the water into the hole. A bit wet and messy, but I didn't create the second coming of the Great Flood on my back porch.

I filled the bag with as much water as I could. It's pretty damn full. Feels good when I hit it. But I may tweak with a bit more or less water to get that perfect "feel."

Also saw the Rival boxing is selling aqua bags as well. Thinking about getting the 12" to use outside.

Thanks a lot. Just found a Canadian company that sells the same buoy. From the last picture its the same screw that I have on my Aquabag. So I guess I will soon own a 15" aquabag ;)

Just finished my first full workout on the new buoy bag pictured above. Six hard three-minute rounds, with one minute of other exercises between each round.

Holy sh*t -- this thing feels great. I'll NEVER return to a conventional bag again. I was ripping shots into this with both hands with no pain, no twinges, nothing.

My only beef -- and it's tiny -- is this bag moves just a touch more than my old, 70-pound conventional Everlast heavy bag. Just a tiny bit. But that's OK, as it forces me to move to get into position, just like in sparring or a fight. The bag also doesn't move much at all when I hit the sweet spot, which is good to train accuracy. But it has a smaller sweet spot than a conventional heavy bag due to its shape, which also is good. But trust me, the bag is not swinging like a slip bag or the smaller Aqua Head Hunter bag.

I LOVE this thing. HIGHLY recommended for either boxers or mixed martial artists.

Ok guys I measured the hanging kit they sent with the aqua bag -
Chain -35 inches
swivel - 4 and a quarter inches
carabiners - 3 and a half inches

So you can take off the chain and just use carabiners like I did, or if you wanted it hanging really long add extra carabiners to the chain.

So consider this before buying the hanging kit as you may prefer an alternative that may be better suited/adjustable for the height you need (I don't know what kind of rope they are using in that video? and I know Outslayer has their adjustable 'universal heavy bag hanger').

Also consider how much you prefer to spend (if your using a smaller model like this you might easily be able to find something cheaper to hang the bag).

Thanks a lot. Just found a Canadian company that sells the same buoy. From the last picture its the same screw that I have on my Aquabag. So I guess I will soon own a 15" aquabag ;)

Taylor makes many different sizes and shapes. Im looking at a cylindrical one. I think when full its 90 lbs.

Thanks for the review. Been thinking about picking one of these up in 12".

Thanks for the review. Been thinking about picking one of these up in 12".

One thing to note about the 12" is that its easily portable, you could take it with you to the gym and bring it back home. You could buy one of those outslayer universal heavy bag hangers and throw this thing around a tree at a park.

You could go 50/50 on it with a friend and hand it off periodically. If you don't like it you can empty out the water and sell it without worrying about a lot of wear and tear and shipping costs.

Their website says they can do custom colors if you order 10 aqua bags or more. After seeing the 1vs1 thread where members here ordered in bulk I would not be surprised if they would do customized colors if 10 forum members went in on an order together.

Photo%20on%205-1-15%20at%201.54%20AM%203_zpszuplepf5.jpg

Heres a better view of the outslayer custom color/logo bags
Photo%20on%205-1-15%20at%201.09%20AM%202_zpsbkn75rwk.jpg

As you can see rsk when I set all the bags up and put all my mats down, those double end bags your making me (I ordered a 6" and a 9" you can probably guess which ones) are going to look great, your work will be showcased well!

Last edited:
Whoever tries the cylindrical version must post a review, even if just a short recap without pics (if it goes embarrassingly bad). I'm a little cynical of how it might perform, but actually hope it goes well and am eager to hear about it. At least they're not expensive, so it should be worth the change and effort for the experiment

One thing to note about the 12" is that its easily portable, you could take it with you to the gym and bring it back home. You could buy one of those outslayer universal heavy bag hangers and throw this thing around a tree at a park.

You could go 50/50 on it with a friend and hang it off periodically. If you don't like it you can empty out the water and sell it without worrying about a lot of wear and tear and shipping costs.

Their website says they can do custom colors if you order 10 aqua bags or more. After seeing the 1vs1 thread where members here ordered in bulk I would not be surprised if they would do customized colors if 10 forum members went in on an order together.

Photo%20on%205-1-15%20at%201.54%20AM%203_zpszuplepf5.jpg

As you can see rsk when I set all the bags up and put all my mats down, those double end bags your making me (I ordered a 6" and a 9" you can probably guess which ones) are going to look great, your work will be showcased well!

That's exactly why I'm interested in the bag. I made my own wrecking ball and hanger, but lugging this thing to the park is a chore and it takes up too much space storing it in my closet over winter. I was hesitant to order the aqua bag because everyone video I saw it seemed kind of hard, I was unsure of the way it would feel.

Who's interested in a red/gold leather wrecking ball? :)

Didn't realize this was you, George. I look forward to seeing your set-up once everything is complete.

Whoever tries the cylindrical version must post a review, even if just a short recap without pics (if it goes embarrassingly bad). I'm a little cynical of how it might perform, but actually hope it goes well and am eager to hear about it. At least they're not expensive, so it should be worth the change and effort for the experiment

My only question about the cylindrical buoy would be the cap/valve design. The Taylor Made Tuff End buoys and the Aqua Bag -- which are the same -- both feature the screw-in cap valve that can be removed to allow filling with water. That valve also can be inflated with compressed air or an athletic ball needle without removal.

Bags of other brands may feature just an air valve like a football or basketball, which doesn't unscrew to allow filling with water.

Try to check a close-up of the valve. If it doesn't look like it unscrews or at least accommodates a screwdriver head, then there may be no way to put water inside the buoy.

Good luck with the cylindrical bag. But you won't be able to rip uppercuts into it like I can with my mighty buoy bag. :) I love this thing. I'm hitting harder than ever, and my hands feel fresh after six three-minute rounds of heavy bag work. Not a single twinge in my knuckles, bones or joints.

That's exactly why I'm interested in the bag. I made my own wrecking ball and hanger, but lugging this thing to the park is a chore and it takes up too much space storing it in my closet over winter. I was hesitant to order the aqua bag because everyone video I saw it seemed kind of hard, I was unsure of the way it would feel.

This thing will be way easier to lug around and store in your closet (when drained of water it takes up barely any space at all, you can infer from the pics of the empty 18

Can anyone tell me how much does the 15" bag weigh when empty/unfilled?

Who's interested in a red/gold leather wrecking ball? :)

At some point I'm going to be looking for an unfilled tear drop or bowling pin style bag (bowling pin bags might be too long though), was considering the ring to cage version because I can modify the hanging chain length myself:
http://www.ringtocage.com/tear-drop-heavy-bag-unfilled/

As you know during the winter I have lower ceilings, and since you make sure the customer is very involved in your customization process I may wind up seeing if you can make that type of bag. I'm a tall guy and want really short straps for the bag as well as the ability to hit higher up on the bag without hitting the chains (I can do this with my outslayer bags, but the ring to cage looks suspect), and it would be way more convenient just to explain it to you than go through a company and not know how the bag is going to turn out.

Also saw the Rival boxing is selling aqua bags as well. Thinking about getting the 12" to use outside.

The aqua punching bag website offers a 2 year warranty and 60 day return policy, the rival site doesn't mention anything about it. I don't think your going to have to worry about durability at all and you will probably love it but I just thought Id mention that in case its a factor in your/another individuals decision on where to purchase the bag.

I wish there was a size in between 12" and 18". I really would like a 70lbs bag. The 12" is 35lbs and the 18" is 120lbs, that's a huge difference.

Thanks for the reply. I dont live in the US so i want to know the actual weight of the bag to enable me to calculate the shipping.

A friend of mine has a 12" being delivered either today or tomorrow. I will have him weigh it empty and let you know. I know its not the 15" but maybe can get you in the ballpark.

The aqua punching bag website offers a 2 year warranty and 60 day return policy, the rival site doesn't mention anything about it. I don't think your going to have to worry about durability at all and you will probably love it but I just thought Id mention that in case its a factor in your/another individuals decision on where to purchase the bag.

The reason I would go with Rival is because they are close to home. Also, ordering from USA will not only cost me shipping, but will cost 20% more because Canadien $ is kind of shitty right now.

Last edited:
My only question about the cylindrical buoy would be the cap/valve design. The Taylor Made Tuff End buoys and the Aqua Bag -- which are the same -- both feature the screw-in cap valve that can be removed to allow filling with water. That valve also can be inflated with compressed air or an athletic ball needle without removal.

Bags of other brands may feature just an air valve like a football or basketball, which doesn't unscrew to allow filling with water.

Try to check a close-up of the valve. If it doesn't look like it unscrews or at least accommodates a screwdriver head, then there may be no way to put water inside the buoy.

Good luck with the cylindrical bag. But you won't be able to rip uppercuts into it like I can with my mighty buoy bag. :) I love this thing. I'm hitting harder than ever, and my hands feel fresh after six three-minute rounds of heavy bag work. Not a single twinge in my knuckles, bones or joints.

I believe the cylindrical bags were talking about are also tuff end by taylor made and they look as if they have the same valve.

I wish there was a size in between 12" and 18". I really would like a 70lbs bag. The 12" is 35lbs and the 18" is 120lbs, that's a huge difference.

I gotta agree. No "in between" in that.

These bags have caught my interest.

A friend of mine has a 12" being delivered either today or tomorrow. I will have him weigh it empty and let you know. I know its not the 15" but maybe can get you in the ballpark.

Thanks Taskmaster really appreciate yr help

I believe the cylindrical bags were talking about are also tuff end by taylor made and they look as if they have the same valve.

Excellent. Please let us know how the cylindrical bag works. Good luck, and happy hitting.

Back