Approximate Tire Flips W Oly Bar?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by 888Shogun888, May 24, 2008.

1. 888Shogun888

888Shogun888 Blue Belt

I am looking for a way to approximate a heavy tire flip because I don't have one on hand at the moment. I was thinking that if I loaded up my oly bar on one end and stuck the other end in a corner (of anywhere that will keep it from moving) I might be able to come close. Would this work? Say I put 250lbs on one end and pulled/pushed it up to head height would this be similar exercise?

I already do this set up with 50lbs to do truck drivers (like wandy was doing in his latest exercise vid) and I do one hand cleans and punches like this as well. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

2. grrthetree

grrthetree Green Belt

Not really but I saw a wrestler do that once, it would be a pretty good exercise I'd say. Ross Enamait did something like that in one of his videos.

3. takeahnase

takeahnase watching the swarm

You can flip a log or something similar. In a gym I think it would be difficult to come up with something similar.

4. Krossinc

Krossinc Design is el cool

I've seen it done many times, mostly by football teams. Remember to either do it against a solid corner or wrap a towel around it so you don't end up going through sheetrock/molding. And of course lift it from the weights, not the bar. I do like it though and I will probably introduce it in to my own routine at a later time.

5. fat_wilhelm

fat_wilhelm Black Belt

Do as you said, but w/ one modification. Get a 2.5-3 ft length of 2x6 or 2x8 and drill a 2" hole exactly in the center, both lengthwise and widthwise. After you load the weight on, slide the lumber over the bar end and use that to do your pickups.

You won't be able to approximate perfect flipping technique because the wood won't be tall enough to drive your chest into, but it'll still be a decent assistance movement.

6. takeahnase

takeahnase watching the swarm

[​IMG]

7. Chaos Mitten**

Chaos Mitten** Banned Banned

I understood what he was saying and think it's a great idea.

Your English skills:

[​IMG]

8. Klotz

Klotz Shalom

It's a good exercise but it won't approximate a tire.

9. 888Shogun888

888Shogun888 Blue Belt

thanks for all the input. I guess it is as good as I can do right now so I will give it a go and let you know how it goes. I didn't think about holding the weights to flip as opposed to the bar that was a good tip.

10. 888Shogun888

888Shogun888 Blue Belt

I gave the workout a shot just now and it was alright. It is not quite as close as I was hoping for but it serves its purpose. You don't get quite as much of a range of motion as I can just pick it up to head height. Also having to bring it back down after every rep is a little annoying. It is much more satisfying to shove the tire over rather than bringing the bar back down.

If you don't have a tire this is a good substitute. IF you have one however stick with it.

11. Urban

Urban Savage Mystic

Get a tire. in the mean time, work on other shit that's conducive to tire flipping (sled dragging, oly lifts, deadlifts, squats, etc.). Mickey mousing this shit with a barbell aint worth your time IMO.

12. 888Shogun888

888Shogun888 Blue Belt

micky mousing......eh at least I am trying something until I get a tire. But thanks for the input

13. Dirty Holt

Dirty Holt Black Belt Professional Fighter

ive gone through sheetrock a few times. make sure you either wrap up the bar, or dont care about the sheetrock

14. Biohazard

Biohazard Guest

Army Physical fitness score: 260
    54 pushups- 77 score
    75 sit-ups- 95 score
    2 mile run 13:55 seconds- 88 score
    Body- 6'2"- 183lbs

Rangers lead the way

Who puts there their PT score in the sig? Only 54 push-ups? Get them push-ups up...for a Ranger (if you are one) your score sucks, lol, my wife gets more sit-ups than you, lol...

15. Army Physical fitness score: 260
    54 pushups- 77 score
    75 sit-ups- 95 score
    2 mile run 13:55 seconds- 88 score
    Body- 6'2"- 183lbs

Really? I was in the Army for four years, and these are not stats I would brag about.

16. 888Shogun888

888Shogun888 Blue Belt

haha i hear ya. luckily my piece o crap basement has a big ass hole in the concrete about a foot deep. I filled it with sand so I shove the bar down in the sand against the solid concrete wall of the hole. Bar doesn't move at all.

17. Biohazard

Biohazard Guest

[​IMG]

18. Chaos Mitten**

Chaos Mitten** Banned Banned

Not that he doesn't deserve the shit talking, but he's not in the Army. He's a highschooler in JROTC.

19. Biohazard

Biohazard Guest

Oh, well he needs to fix his sig then...people may think he is a Ranger.

20. bSquared949

bSquared949 Guest

like this?

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rJenyS6f-C8&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rJenyS6f-C8&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>