appropriate amount of torque when drilling

King Creatine, you have given me the lulz for the day. Thanks you.

Yes, I'm glad you understand. Crank it hard and fast... and you're right, you won't have anyone to train with because they're scared. When people fear you, they respect you.

You're a troll. Without training partners, no one can train.

You have to be mutually beneficial. If you understand the technique correctly, you would know how to continue to break the arm. If I had you in a straight armbar, I wouldn't need to crank it to know that I could easily break it.

For me it depends on my training partner. If I catch a good clean submission then I will let it go and let them transition from it before they tap (while sparring).
If I get it and they defend, thats where it depends on the partner. Bigger stronger or higher ranking partner I may try to complete the sub, a smaller weaker or inexperienced partner i will just transition to something else.

for example:
Ive been getting alot of kimuras lately and alot of time in sparring I dont just rip into the submission so by me going slower it gives the training partner the time to grab the gi, belt, leg whatever thier defense is. So I know unless the guy is crazy stronger than me I can jerk the hell out of it until I complete it. But this leaves room for injury if I jerk too hard. That is why bigger guy I might try to jerk it a couple times to loosen thier grip but not go ape shit crazy on them. Smaller person I just transition to another position becuase I know in my mind I would have jerked it and gotten it for sure.

Im also the same on chokes I will not hold a choke no matter how deep it feels for more than 15 to 20 seconds. I hate when guys squeeze this shit out of my face trying to get a choke they dont have, and I dont want to be that guy so I let go if the pressure is obviously on their face and if I feel like its deep and they arent turning colors or tapping by around 20 seconds I let go.

An interesting story on this thread:
I train with a female that is crazy flexible and possibly double jointed. I put her in an americana and literally asked her 3 or 4 times while slowly cranking if she was ok and she kept saying keep trying so once her elbow went from her waist to her head I gave up the sub. Then on a kimura her hand went from her waist to where she was basically touching her head from behind her back and i gave up on that one also and decided I would save sparring with her to practice my chokes.

Edit: oh i thought you meant rolling. Hell no, in drilling I just go through the motions. I usually go until they tap once or twice but after that I just let it go once I have the control position.

Last edited:
We work for the taps and rely on the person been submitted to tap but some guys don't like verbally tapping and aren't in a position to physically tap, so you have to understand how hard your submission is in.

Back