appropriate amount of torque when drilling

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Hellboy31, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Hellboy31 Brown Belt

When you guys are drilling techniques... Do you apply enough pressure to get a legitimate tap or do you simply put yourself in the correct position and then let go of the hold without really applying any pressure?

I typically apply just enough pressure to get a real tap... I do this because I'm still fairly new to grappling and I want to make sure that I'm not developing bad habits like not pinching my knees together for arm bars.

Anyway, I want to make sure I'm drilling with appropriate technique but I also want to be a good training partner.

Any advice or feedback appreciated.

2. HardEight Blue Belt

Its really gonna be up to your partner.
    The taps will come easier because it is drilling.
    There are different levels to how fast a partner will tap depending on the situation.
    They range from....
    1. Any Aikido training.
    2. Drilling
    3. Rolling
    4. Competition
    5. Da Streetzz!!!

3. Jagcorps_esq Red Belt

It really depends on the type of training. Drilling, I torque crazy slow just to be safe and to feel the tension point better. Rolling, I wouldn't say that I go slow, just very controlled with no real intention to "finish." In a competition scenario, I go controlled with the intention of quickly reaching the point of pain and then I hold, because I want them to tap. I never want to win by injury.

4. Paratoxicity White Belt

I go slowly until they tap, then I ask them where they felt the pressure/how tight it was/how they felt my weight shift. I like to make sure I'm actually doing the move correctly, and you have to lock it out all the way to be sure, IMO.

5. King Creatine Purple Belt

I crank subs when I am drilling, that way my drilling mirrors my competition form. Go hard or go home!

6. MTBJJ1249 White Belt

I'm a white belt and still have trouble finishing a lot of chokes so i ask my training partners to let me know how tight they are, and will normally work on it until they tap. I think its more of communication thing then anything else, i have never had anyone complain, and it helps me finish my submissions.

7. Bruce Calavera Purple Belt

I get really tight to mimick live rolling and I crank extremely slow and controlled so that my partner has time to tap if necessary.

8. SuperSuperRambo Steel Belt

Enough to get a legit tap, and absolutely no more. Also I apply it very slowly.

My reasoning is that you have to actually make the guy tap in order to know you're doing it properly. If you do 10 repetitions without enough force to get the tap, for all you know it wouldn't cause a tap anyway.

Now, if I'm just going for speed and movement, like armbars side to side as a warmup, then I don't go for the tap. But I don't really consider that drilling.

9. CyberFreq Blue Belt

If it's a choke or a 'safer' joint lock (straight ankle/armbar) then i go for the tap (albeit slowly), but if it's a twisting joint lock (kimura/americana/omoplata) then i just apply a TINY amount of pressure to ensure i know how and then let it go (unless we are drilling at 100%)

10. King Creatine Purple Belt

Bad philosophy. Drill how you train. If you don't train to rip arms off, you never will be able to in the street. You won't have the correct knowledge of leverage.

11. Jagcorps_esq Red Belt

Yes, it takes a lot more knowledge to understand simply doing what you are already doing...just more.

:rolleyes:

I'm thinking adrenaline will take care of this for me....since it seems to be the number one cause of injuries in BJJ competitions.

12. bora y Purple Belt

slow but tight for armlocks. chokes the same in drilling, but when i roll i put them on faster (unless it's a tracheal mofo)

13. SuperSuperRambo Steel Belt

So if I'm practicing my triangle/armbar transitions, and my training partner isn't resisting, I should go 0 to 100 on the armbar as hard as possible?

I'll take your advice but I get the feeling that pretty soon I won't have anyone to train with.

14. King Creatine Purple Belt

Yes, I'm glad you understand. Crank it hard and fast... and you're right, you won't have anyone to train with because they're scared. When people fear you, they respect you.

15. Hellboy31 Brown Belt

Thanks for the feedback guys...

16. SuperSuperRambo Steel Belt

Or because they have broken arms. One or the other.

17. RubberDave White Belt

When we drill I ask whoever I'm drillin' with how they would like to drill the tech. Most of the time we start slow then start adding resistance. We have been told that if you are working chokes that when your lips start to tingle then you have applied it right.

so it gets right down to what person you are rollin' with wants, always communicate with your partner :)

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  18. King Creatine Purple Belt

Exactly.

19. DiscipleOfPog Green Belt

If we drill something ten times to each side, I'll usually do it slow for the tap the first one or two times. Do the rest a bit faster but not for the tap. Then the last one do slow again for a tap just to make sure I've got it down.

20. BSFT Brown Belt

pretty much what i do when drilling reps. i try not to go to fast, i try to be slow and precise everytime, i had the "slow is smooth, smooth is fast" mantra drilled into me so much, i guess it stuck.