Apple to fight absurd order to allow a backdoor for the flawless Feds

I'll admit I jumped into this thread without really reading into this specific case, and the more I learn about it, the harder it is for me to stick up for apple.

With that said, there seems to be some confusion (even within this very thread) as to whether or not apple actually currently has the capability to do what the government is asking them to do.

Is the government simply telling them to unlock one particular phone? Or are they forcing apple to develop a way to break into any iPhone?

I dunno, call me a tin foil hat wearing nut case if you'd like, but I'd be willing to bet the government wanting access to this particular iPhone actually has very little to do with this specific case.

Supposedly, it's currently not possible.

What is the Government asking for?

The FBI wants to examine the iPhone used by Syed Farook to determine wheter he and his wife, Tashfeen Malik, had planned the shooting directly with the Islamic State. The iPhone, a 5C version of the smartphone release in 2013, is locked by a passcode, which the FBI wants to circumvent. Apple would have to build a new version of its iOS software that allows the FBI to bypass certain restrictions. Apple claims the change to their software can give someone "the potential to unlock any iPhone in someone's physical possession."

So what does the court order require Apple to do?

The court is ordering the company to "bypass or disable" a feature that automatically wipes an iPhone clean of all its data after 10 incorrect password attempts have been entered. This is a standard feature on iPhones.

Technically, that would not require Apple to decrypt the passcode that blocks access by outsiders to the iPhone. It would allow the Government (and anyone else) to try an unlimited number of passwords with fear of the phone erasing all of its stored information.

In electronic security parlance, that is what is called a "brute force" attack, and all it takes is time and patience to submit a large number of passcodes. Brute force attacks are usually carried out with the assitance of a powerful comptuter, which can automatically input millions of different passwords combinations until the correct code is entered.

It would be only a matter of time before the phone security software is hacked. It works now because there is no back door.

Those things can all be applied to a rebellion here in the US too though.

1) Are you saying that causes a problem because it's unfamiliar terrain? It's a fraction of the size of our country. Our military attacking an insurgency spread out in pockets across the US would be a logistical nightmare of unprecedented proportions.

Yes, unfamiliar terrain. We're on their playing ground. They know all the tips and tricks of their own country.

2) There are plenty of caves and mountains here too. Extreme heat aside, I'd consider the geography of the US to be much more hostile than the ME, especially when you take it's sheer size into consideration.

It all depends on where in the US we're talking about. Obviously not every US citizen is going to be living in the mountains of Colorado. Most wouldn't even know HOW to do that.

3) You don't think our military would be playing even nicer when fighting against it's fellow citizens? I sure do. Doing something like carpet bombing a city would never be a consideration. Ever since Waco our federal government has handled every incidence of potential domestic terrorism with kid gloves, as they should.

Well we're talking about the government attacking its own citizens, so we're talking about a different iteration of the government than the one we're dealing with today, right now in this moment. Just look to the Nazis and the Jews, or Mao Zedong and the Chinese citizens for examples. I'm talking about the point at which democracy is no more. Which is what I think could very well happen as freedom erodes a little here and a little there until there's just not much freedom left.

Or here is an idea and I know this will be hard for you to comprehend. There are those of us that would rather have privacy than to clamor for help from the federal government against the big bad terrorist who in reality is a spineless pussy. Maybe grow up and stop being so afraid that you are willing to suck Uncle Sam's dick in return for prison yard protection.

Not to mention that the one thing the state is supposed to be protecting is our rights. Instead they offer us other kinds of protection in exchange for those rights.

If I knew that giving the govt access to all my personal conversations would prevent another terrorist attack from ever happening in this country, I might consider it. But I believe our government is so inept and corrupt that it's a lot more likely that information would be used to fuck me over somehow than to ever actually stop a terrorist.

Yes, unfamiliar terrain. We're on their playing ground. They know all the tips and tricks of their own country.

It all depends on where in the US we're talking about. Obviously not every US citizen is going to be living in the mountains of Colorado. Most wouldn't even know HOW to do that.

Well we're talking about the government attacking its own citizens, so we're talking about a different iteration of the government than the one we're dealing with today, right now in this moment. Just look to the Nazis and the Jews, or Mao Zedong and the Chinese citizens for examples. I'm talking about the point at which democracy is no more. Which is what I think could very well happen as freedom erodes a little here and a little there until there's just not much freedom left.

All good points. I guess I'm just trying to be a little more optimistic than you are. The truth is we have no idea how a second revolutionary war would play out. Let's just hope it never comes to that.

PS, this could make for a pretty interesting thread topic. IE "How would a second revolutionary war play out?"

All good points. I guess I'm just trying to be a little more optimistic than you are. The truth is we have no idea how a second revolutionary war would play out. Let's just hope it never comes to that.

I think, in all likelihood, it won't come to that. But that doesn't mean it CAN'T come to that. The fact that we're slowly becoming a surveillance state is very troubling. The government is collecting this data for "our protection" but really it's just enriching their own power.

Honestly, if America is still around in 500 years, I think what exactly it will look like is up in the air.

PS, this could make for a pretty interesting thread topic. IE "How would a second revolutionary war play out?"

You should make it.

LOL the same guys who say the Govt. should have all inclusive ability to trample our 4th amendment rights also stand vehemently against any Govt. intrusion on the 2nd amendment(but...but...but...guns will protect us when the Govt. tries and takes over).

LOL the same guys who say the Govt. should have all inclusive ability to trample our 4th amendment rights also stand vehemently against any Govt. intrusion on the 2nd amendment(but...but...but...guns will protect us when the Govt. tries and takes over).

They do? As far as I can tell there are quite a few 2A supporters in here and only one of them seems to think it's ok for the government to spy on everyone.

Supposedly, it's currently not possible.

It would be only a matter of time before the phone security software is hacked. It works now because there is no back door.

Thanks for the response. That's how I understood it as well.

So the government is attempting to force apple into developing a way to hack into any encrypted iPhone, when they specifically designed the software to prevent that from happening.

I'm sure Apple has a backdoor but they can't make it public

Ultimately, Apple should side with the good guys and public safety. They should come up with some solid, fair criteria like to fight bad guys who are proven to be bad guys beyond a doubt, then Apple should unlock the iPhone and give it back to the FBI and not give away any backdoor code. Apple could save innocent lives if the bad guy's iPhone has intel on other bad guys.

All of this was inevitable when the iPhone came out and everyone decided that everything they ever do belongs on that phone. The public is entirely complicit in robbing itself of its own freedoms and privacy, just for the sake of a little extra convenience.
You mistake convenience for efficiency. And the pursuit of greater efficiency is what got humanity to where it is today.

You mistake convenience for efficiency. And the pursuit of greater efficiency is what got humanity to where it is today.

Convenience and efficiency are interchangeable the majority of the time, and a general lack of foresight also got humanity to where it is today.

Convenience and efficiency are interchangeable the majority of the time, and a general lack of foresight also got humanity to where it is today.
No, those words are almost never interchangeable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back