Apple to fight absurd order to allow a backdoor for the flawless Feds

Snowden already pretty much proved to you that its not terrorists they want to spy on, its every living man woman and child in the country. Its every phone call, every text, every internet search, its your gdamned underwear size man. Are you still actually living in the time when you though the government only wanted to look for a few hundred or a few thousand terrorists? We went so far past that its not even in the same reality anymore.
Don't pimp that POS traitor to me.

I don't see how you can force a company to make a product for you, it just sounds wrong.

I can see the government getting access to whatever information Apple has to help the government crack the phone as long as they have a court order.

You honestly believe after Apple is forced to create this back door on their own product and hand the Feds the key the Feds are going to pinky promise they will only use it in these situations and this won't lead to even more clandestine spying on citizen's without the publics knowledge or a warrant?

You think hackers will never figure out how to get in this new back door that only exists as security weak point, obtain info that could ruin innocent people financially and personally, or obtain info that could help them plan more attacks?

How could it be more? Its already everything......everything. Every e-mail, internet search, purchase, phone call, text, all of it.

So in other words the fbi is too lazy to learn how to hack/crack into an apple phone?
They are the feds DUH!
They already have all the programs to do this. They've been doing this shit for decades.

As I understand it, if the proper password isn't entered, instead of just locking the phone, it will destroy the data.

The phone could go back to Apple for them to retrieve the data and nobody else would need to know how it was done.

So in other words the fbi is too lazy to learn how to hack/crack into an apple phone?
They are the feds DUH!
They already have all the programs to do this. They've been doing this shit for decades.

Yep they have access to it all, more then likely have listened to every call he made on that phone. They just can't use what they have in evidence against him or anyone else the have gathered info on in this manner.

I'm pleasantly surprised by apple taking this stand

Soooo...

Nobody in this thread would ever consider protecting their own stuff with an auto-self-destruct application?

To me they look unwilling to help us investigate a terror attack.
If I was ever dumb enough to pay for their products I certainly wouldn't now.

That is how I look at it as well. You essentially have a company that says it is okay for their products to be used for terrorism.

If I were Apple, considering their product support base is the US and Canada, I would come out and state that they want to protect their country and ensure that their products are not used to assist in potential attacks.

How could it be more? Its already everything......everything. Every e-mail, internet search, purchase, phone call, text, all of it.

Good question, I'm far from a tech expert but perhaps the use of encrypted messaging like IMessage and Whatsapp are beyond what the Feds/NSA can gather with the general surveillance programs available to them at the moment.

So terrorists kill a bunch of people, and Apple is unwilling to help the police see potential evidence and possibly other terrorists. This is bull.

There's a difference between protecting the average user, and assisting the goverment in taking down proven murderers (friends).
With a warrant police can take a phone to Apple and retrieve whatever data is covered by the warrant. That's always been the case. Now, the government wants to be able to remotely access phones.

Yep they have access to it all, more then likely have listened to every call he made on that phone. They just can't use what they have in evidence against him or anyone else the have gathered info on in this manner.

I'm pleasantly surprised by apple taking this stand

Agreed.

In this age, "anonymous leaks" are all too common.

Good question, I'm far from a tech expert but perhaps the use of encrypted messaging like IMessage and Whatsapp are beyond what the Feds/NSA can gather with the general surveillance programs available to them at the moment.

That is why they need back doors man. The NSA, FBI, and others went to the ISP's and phone carriers on day one after 9/11 and the Patriot Act was signed to try to bully the businesses into providing backdoors so they could gather the data because you can't break 32/64 bit AES encryption. A super computer couldn't do it even if given a million years to accomplish the task. This is one reason why its rumored the NSA has been working on quantum computing for years because it would be powerful enough to break the encryption. Now you can get free apps that will encrypt your hard drive so that nobody can ever get in without the correct password. Its is beyond the reach of law enforcement and government agencies.

To me they look unwilling to help us investigate a terror attack.
If I was ever dumb enough to pay for their products I certainly wouldn't now.

So terrorists kill a bunch of people, and Apple is unwilling to help the police see potential evidence and possibly other terrorists. This is bull.

There's a difference between protecting the average user, and assisting the goverment in taking down proven murderers (friends).

This is standard slippery slope stuff here, gentlemen.

If you believe for one second that, if this technology is provided, the feds will only use it to investigate islamic terrorists, well I've got a bridge to sell you.

We've already given up so much privacy to the federal government in the name of "fighting terrorism", we've learned what they'll happily do with those powers, and we still want to give up MORE privacy?

What will it take to wake people up? Mandated random searches of your homes?

People clamoring for a police state believing it will enable the government to protect us from the big bad muslims are a bunch of spineless cowards. It's sickening, really.

Last edited:
With a warrant police can take a phone to Apple and retrieve whatever data is covered by the warrant. That's always been the case. Now, the government wants to be able to remotely access phones.

What wait? This is what this really about it? Remote access to anyone's phone, anytime?

No f'ing way, no how.

I did not get that impression from the news articles I've seen though. It seems that they unable to access the phone and are worried additional attempts will destroy data. This seems a far cry from remote access.

He's a fucking hero. He should have his own holiday.
He compromised the security of his own country, in violation of his oath, to broadcast information everybody knew anyways.
He should have his own prison cell.

That is how I look at it as well. You essentially have a company that says it is okay for their products to be used for terrorism.

If I were Apple, considering their product support base is the US and Canada, I would come out and state that they want to protect their country and ensure that their products are not used to assist in potential attacks.

Would you apply this too other tools terrorist use like say firearms? If in the future the tech exists to have safeties that render a gun inoperable be remotely activated by the Feds because they say "hey he's a terrorist" you'd support them forcing manfactures to build it in?

I know people will say no i don't support that because the 2nd amendment is about the ability to stand up to the Feds but I also see our ability to keep our technology operating and the information on it out of their hands as also pretty important. Granted they already have mass surveillance tools threatening that but I don't think that means we should force Apple to make easier.

Last edited:
Soooo...

Nobody in this thread would ever consider protecting their own stuff with an auto-self-destruct application?
I would, except that there's never going to be anything on my phones so secret that destroying it is important.

This is about two terrorists who attacked America and a billion dollar corporation that has misplaced priorities.

LOL, you don't like the guy so that means it's OK that your government is illegally spying on anyone they chose.
Legally.
And that's the age we live in.
People -wait, scratch that, terrorist pieces of shit- will be flying drones into stadiums in the next decade if not the next few years. That's the reality.

It's also a reality that if we want our authorities to protect us, some of our rights are gonna get cramped. The outcry would be deafening if an attack killed citizens and the government could have prevented it but didn't because terrorists deserve their privacy.

Privacy is increasingly going to be a luxury we can't afford for a variety of reasons... I'm just glad I'll be dead long before that really becomes the here and now.

That is why they need back doors man. The NSA, FBI, and others went to the ISP's and phone carriers on day one after 9/11 and the Patriot Act was signed to try to bully the businesses into providing backdoors so they could gather the data because you can't break 32/64 bit AES encryption. A super computer couldn't do it even if given a million years to accomplish the task. This is one reason why its rumored the NSA has been working on quantum computing for years because it would be powerful enough to break the encryption. Now you can get free apps that will encrypt your hard drive so that nobody can ever get in without the correct password. Its is beyond the reach of law enforcement and government agencies.

The issue many people don't take into account is The Feds can’t weaken encryption for terrorists without weakening it for everyone.

The simultaneously call for tools and laws to weaken it while the director of the CIA's email gets hacked by a teenager. Every week I hear about a massive data leak/breach. BOA just called me last week to tell me they are mailing a new CC to me because they had another massive breach, yet governments across the world want to make it even easier. Even though we know terrorists and nations that are our enemies will get their hands on the same tools and use it against US citizens.

Back