Apple about to become the first trillion dollar company.

I invested a good amount just before the iPhone came out and it's up 1,400% since then.

Apple has been good to me. Thought about selling before but I'm sure glad I didn't. Don't know how much further it can go up though.

Your assumption is that everyone wants to be rich. I have no desire to make a lot of money, there is nothing in this world that I need. Once you evolve from the materialistic mindset you begin to realize that you don't actually need much money at all to be happy. When you die you won't give a crap about how much money you had, you will think about all the time you wasted getting rich rather than being with family or helping people other than yourself.
giphy.gif

You haven't actually convinced yourself that you believe that do you?

People who say that when challenged almost always admit they would love the freedom to be able to be free of the REQUIREMENT to have a job and have it optional. They would love to have the freedom to travel where they want, when they want. The freedom to help friends and family members in financial need. etc.

You may not care about the physical money but I would bet you would care about the things having such money empowers you to do.

@Revolver, get in here and do your thing!

giphy.gif

People who say that when challenged almost always admit they would love the freedom to be able to be free of the REQUIREMENT to have a job and have it optional. They would love to have the freedom to travel where they want, when they want. The freedom to help friends and family members in financial need. etc.

You may not care about the physical money but I would bet you would care about the things having such money empowers you to do.

Boom. Extremely well said.

Just wait until Disney buys Apple.
It is likely to happen actually but the other way around. Apple would buy Disney and it makes a ton of sense.

There is a winning combination where Content (Disney) and Delivery (Apple iTunes) can take those two properties and make them much more valuable combined then they are stand alone.

Both CEO's are on the others Board and this combination (called a Netflix killer) has been discussed. And Apple has enough cash just sitting around to pay for the entire Disney company.

If you don't want to make lots of money, then fine. You don't need to. Money is not just for buying clothes and cars though. It's the mechanism to get whatever you actually want. Better education, better medicine, travel to see the world, access to do things that expand your viewpoint as a person, and everything else costs money. Those are things that I want to do for my family because I'm not entranced with thinking completely in the present like an animal: I can think and plan ahead into the future. I want to ensure that my family is well-taken care of after I'm gone, and I would like to leave them an inheritance valued at several million dollars. And why the binary thinking? Why is it that I can either make money OR spend time with my family and help others? Why do you think that I can not accomplish both?

Let me ask you a question: Since you don't have much money, how much time do you spend helping other people? And don't bullshit me, be honest. How many hours per week do you spend helping other people in a meaningful way, and what are you doing that qualifies as such?
I have money. The reason I have money is because I save so much. I barely own anything because I live a minimalist lifestyle along with my wife. As far as work goes I am currently working for an NGO that works with educating children in Tanzania. Now what I said before is that I don't desire to make a lot of money and that holds true. However it is wrong to assume I'm poor because i only make 40 to 45k a year. Savings goes a long way. I know I could probably earn more if I wanted to but I am more fulfilled by doing meaningful work. I think that more people would be happy by following a career that involves doing something they feel good about everyday. I tried doing the 9 to 5 and I was absolutely miserable. I could never be happy at a traditional job. I think it is great that you want to help your family and stuff. My issue was with your last sentence. It sounded as if people who die without a lot of money are losers but some of the greatest people I've ever met were ones I've encountered in third world nations that have absolutely nothing but at the same time always wear a smile on their face.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Except I'm already doing that? I work from my computer and my job requires me to travel which is why I go completely silent from this message board for months at a time. I simply dislike the message that money is everything. I live comfortably on my salary and I'm happy enough. I don't need a luxury car, 5 star suites, etc to be fulfilled

Awesome, been long time since 106 in late 2025 iirc. I use the ipad at work since it is way more stable than a fire or a regular tablet

What is the benefit of an Apple product? They seem too expensive and most people use phones for texting, games and music. So why drop 1000 dollars?

I have money. The reason I have money is because I save so much. I barely own anything because I live a minimalist lifestyle along with my wife. As far as work goes I am currently working for an NGO that works with educating children in Tanzania. Now what I said before is that I don't desire to make a lot of money and that holds true. However it is wrong to assume I'm poor because i only make 40 to 45k a year. Savings goes a long way. I know I could probably earn more if I wanted to but I am more fulfilled by doing meaningful work. I think that more people would be happy by following a career that involves doing something they feel good about everyday. I tried doing the 9 to 5 and I was absolutely miserable. I could never be happy at a traditional job. I think it is great that you want to help your family and stuff. My issue was with your last sentence. It sounded as if people who die without a lot of money are losers but some of the greatest people I've ever met were ones I've encountered in third world nations that have absolutely nothing but at the same time always wear a smile on their face.
Ok, so you and I are actually not that different. You'd never think I was well-off if you met me, and I live well below my means. You're likely to find me wearing the same clothes I was wearing 15 years ago (my wife always teases me that I own the same 2 pairs of shorts I had in high school), and I own 3 pairs of jeans. I'm by no means a "baller." I save my money religiously, I have found ways to monetize my interests (I like computers and cybersecurity, so I have become an independent contractor who does penetration testing, AKA legal hacking, on the side, and I love to scuba dive, so I have become a Divemaster who gets paid to work with students when I want to dive), and I get to spend time with my family. I love my full-time job, and it takes me all over the world to places very few people get to go, doing things that very few people get to do, and I can see the impact that it has on the places where I go. Very rewarding.

My point was that, as an American, there are lots of people who don't think about how to save their money, how to make their savings work for them, and how to improve their lives from a material point of view. They will whine and say that there's no opportunity in America at all, as if what you and I are literally doing now is impossible. I'm not advocating that everyone needs to do the same things, but there is so much opportunity out there and little things that people can do to help them take advantage of that opportunity that it's ridiculous. It's just disheartening when people don't know how that it's there, are afraid to take advantage of it, or are unwilling to do the things they need to do in order to set themselves up for the life they want to be living.

What is the benefit of an Apple product? They seem too expensive and most people use phones for texting, games and music. So why drop 1000 dollars?
There are some technical things about the Apple ecosystem that are nice (such as third-party review of applications to make sure you aren't just downloading malware, and Apple's encryption and commitment to privacy are the best in the game), but Apple products are kind of like any other luxury good: you're paying for a status symbol and to align yourself with the company's message/virtues.

I'm not an expert on phones, but from reading the reviews it seems as though the Samsung phones have better specs.

I've used IOS and Android and neither operating system as any better imo.

For PC's Windows 10 and 7 are decent, the apple os is more stable, but that's because nothing runs on it. And even some software that runs on both, like Office tends to work way better on windows.

Except I'm already doing that? I work from my computer and my job requires me to travel which is why I go completely silent from this message board for months at a time. I simply dislike the message that money is everything. I live comfortably on my salary and I'm happy enough. I don't need a luxury car, 5 star suites, etc to be fulfilled
Right. you are doing it because you have prioritized money (saving it).

Look I don't want to bust your balls here because I get what you are trying to say but if you are prioritizing saving money and appreciate the freedoms that affords you that argument you said becomes difficult to make.

Why are you bothering saving and do you have enough savings such that you need no more. IF so when did you get to that point? If not why would you not want to have made more money doing something you loved such that you were also rich so you did not have to worry about saving or job loss and being forced to take a job you hate just to make things meet?

Being rich is just freedom in all areas financial. You don't have to worship it nor chase it but I think you would appreciate it.

giphy.gif

I bought Netflix on the dip btw. I aint no fool. lol.

Yes, money is freedom among other things. Protection. etc. Power. Francis Bacon said money is a good servant but a poor master. When your money works for you, you are its master. Like Mr Wonderful says, his money is an army and it goes out everyday and fights for him and brings back prisoners.

I bought Netflix on the dip btw. I aint no fool. lol.

Yes, money is freedom among other things. Protection. etc. Power
Remember the huge dip after Brexit happened? 3 days of the markets nose-diving after the UK voted to leave the EU. You know what I did? Invested another $40k into the markets. Best financial decision I made that year by a mile. That was a beautiful opportunity for any savvy investor.

"...and in other news, Apple has just become the first trillion dollar company in the world. We'll be back after the break."

______

"If you could just spare one dollar a day, these starving and diseased children will get a second chance at life...."

Remember the huge dip after Brexit happened? 3 days of the markets nose-diving after the UK voted to leave the EU. You know what I did? Invested another $40k into the markets. Best financial decision I made that year by a mile. That was a beautiful opportunity for any savvy investor.

Yes, it is like a clearance sale. Picked up FB on dip too. Them and Netflix dropped around 20-25% each. That is absurd. Good opportunity. Been doing a lot of bottom feeding lately.

Yes, it is like a clearance sale. Picked up FB on dip too. Them and Netflix dropped around 20-25% each. That is absurd. Good opportunity. Been doing a lot of bottom feeding lately.
It's the best way to make money. Be a contrarian.

Back