Opinion AOC paid her student loans on the congressional floor

Yeah this oppressed brown woman has $19,000 more in her account than this privileged white male.

I fucking hate this cunt

You should get a job that pays more. I might be wrong but I'll bet you can look back on some poor decisions that resulted in low earning potential.

AOC derangement syndrome, full effect itt. Some of these responses are both worthless and priceless.

Generalizing a party like this is pretty stupid of you, it's like me saying the right party are filled with idiots who believe all the lies Trump spews which is not far off from the truth though.
Calm down it was just a little joke. That's why I included all the exclamation points

Is this debt forced? Or is it a choice?

College isn't presented as a choice for High School students. They're told for four years that to be successful in the United States a Bachelor's degree is required as a minimum. Then at 17 years old they sign into massive crushing debt. It's predatory, and college tuition should not be anywhere as high as it is. Western countries see post high school education as a net positive for society, much like guaranteed access to healthcare.

It's wild to me people on the right consider leftists Anti American, when we want to help the country as a whole rise up.

The only point I can really make in this thread is that if student loan debt absolutely cannot be discharged, then they should have absolutely zero interest.

There is no risk to anyone but the borrower.

She made a payment on her college loan during congressional hearings to make a point. She wanted to prove a point and to show how crippling student loan debt is for someone who's not making Congress kind of money.

She showed that she currently had 20,200 in debt an it dropped to 19,000 dollars.

"
Ocasio-Cortez opened her remarks by telling the witnesses and audience that she had made a student loan payment while attending the hearing.

"I literally made a student loan payment while I was sitting here at this chair, and I looked at my balance, and it was $20,237.16," she said. "I just made a payment that took me down to $19,000 so I feel really accomplished right now."

Student loan hearing: Hasan Minhaj calls student debt 'paywall to the middle class' during congressional testimony
"

She was happy to show her debt to everyone on the congressional floor.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/2276327001

Dumbass should have gotten a degree that would allow her to do something besides bartend for the last 12 years.

Dumbass should have gotten a degree that would allow her to do something besides bartend for the last 12 years.

She was elected to public office at the age of 28. I don't think she began bartending at the age of 16.

I think there are a lot of ways to criticize AOC. But for some reason people pick things that aren't really a problem. There's nothing wrong with bartending, there's nothing wrong with wearing decent professional clothing or a wearing a decent watch, there's nothing wrong with having $20,000 in the bank or $20,000 in student loan debt, etc.

Poli Sci was another one I shied away from.
I did it with the end goal of law school taking a ton of 300 and 400 level classes related to the US legal system (and trashing my GPA some in the process)...

Ggggrrrrr

That was obvious to me and English is the third language I learned.

yea, I was looking at this, and was wondering what people were reading...

btw, 20K in student loan debt is not that bad.

maybe that's saying something when we look at a figure of 20K and say, "oh, she got off easy."

I know several close friends who are consumed in Student loan debt.

back in my Tax Accountant days, I couldn't believe the student interest loan amounts and how much interest accrued. and LOL, the IRS caps you at $2500 interest deduction.

yea, I was looking at this, and was wondering what people were reading...

btw, 20K in student loan debt is not that bad.

maybe that's saying something when we look at a figure of 20K and say, "oh, she got off easy."

I know several close friends who are consumed in Student loan debt.

back in my Tax Accountant days, I couldn't believe the student interest loan amounts and how much interest accrued. and LOL, the IRS caps you at $2500 interest deduction.
20k not bad for an American, maybe. It’s absolutely unthinkable it would ever be that expensive over here. Like, unimaginable. Literally nobody here goes into any major debt because of their studies.

20k not bad for an American, maybe. It’s absolutely unthinkable it would ever be that expensive over here. Like, unimaginable. Literally nobody here goes into any major debt because of their studies.

there are times where I revert to "liberal think" and look at how much this country spends on incarceration...and wonder how this tide can be turned, if these finances can be re-diverted to affordable education, and affordable housing.

rather than spending an incredible amount of money towards someone's adult life in prison, how about spend it on them earlier...

**puts down pipe

there are times where I revert to "liberal think" and look at how much this country spends on incarceration...and wonder how this tide can be turned, if these finances can be re-diverted to affordable education, and affordable housing.

rather than spending an incredible amount of money towards someone's adult life in prison, how about spend it on them earlier...

**puts down pipe
It’s a cruel and predatory system you have in place, and the best people can come up with is ‘don’t make bad choices’. As if everything bad that happens is because people choose it and thus they deserve it. You guys are such protestants.

What about the net benefit for society of education that doesn’t ruin people? That’s what should be focused on, not some weird moral grandstanding.

It’s a cruel and predatory system you have in place, and the best people can come up with is ‘don’t make bad choices’. As if everything bad that happens is because people choose it and thus they deserve it. You guys are such protestants.

What about the net benefit for society of education that doesn’t ruin people? That’s what should be focused on, not some weird moral grandstanding.

Ha! you think I'm going to be lectured on morality from a Communist and/or Satanist!!?!?!

no but for real...I concur.

She has 20 grand in her account, so shes doing better than something like 95% of the country. If anything, that tells me people in congress make to much money.
I read that as her debt was 20k. After her payment her debt dropped to 19k.

Back