Opinion AOC paid her student loans on the congressional floor

She has 20 grand in her account, so shes doing better than something like 95% of the country. If anything, that tells me people in congress make to much money.
That was also her point because she made a statement about that fact on many occasions. I believe she said she made 130 something thousand a year now. She been an open book about her income to clear the air of all the rumors about her making a million on the award winning movie.

She has 20 grand in her account, so shes doing better than something like 95% of the country. If anything, that tells me people in congress make to much money.
Ahh yes, what a reasonable thing to conclude that 95% of the population having less than $20k = congress gets paid too much, rather than say.... and this might be crazy.... the economic conditions of our country are super fucked, creating a massive debtor--servant-class.

Yeah this oppressed brown woman has $19,000 more in her account than this privileged white male.

I fucking hate this cunt
Most famous and beloved female official in America earns same amount as a 1st year law associate and more than loser on Sherdog = she is evil.

SMH at people criticising her who cannot even understand the concept of reducing a debt loan is making a credit payment.

Which is seperate to what other savings she may have quarantined.

This is the level of bloviating without even understanding basic facts we have currently in the War Room.

I interpreted the $20,000 dropping to $19,000 as the balance of her loan debt, not the balance of her checking account. It’s not entirely clear.

But it is interesting to see people criticizing her for both only having $20,000 in a checking account and for having that much money in a checking account instead of some investment account.

Having $20,000 on hand at all times in a checking/savings account is a perfectly reasonable thing to do. That is the money you use if your car breaks down, if you have an unexpected home expense, etc. There is absolutely nothing to criticize there.

Yeah this oppressed brown woman has $19,000 more in her account than this privileged white male.

I fucking hate this cunt

Lol. Take it easy.

Who do you blame for the status of your account? How can you improve that situation?

Godamnit! The government needs to fix this shit that’s ten times worse since the last time they fixed it.

She paid her bill like any adult does? The last place trophy theory is real

She makes more money than me and has less in her account than me. I'm sold, double my taxes because some thot paid her bills. The nerve of some people to think paying your bills is making a strong point because you should pay it for her.

You can do what I did and get good at something so you have a scholarship, or do what I wish I did and skip it entirely. You can even be way worse than me at your sport and still get a full ride if you're a woman because title IV has mandated that women's sports can give full scholarships to bench warmers.

I'm pretty sure that the $20,000 balance she's talking about is her student loan balance, not her checking account balance, and she's saying she feels accomplished because she took a grand off her loan debt, not because she now has $1,000 less in her checking account.

It would be a more powerful statement to show that a person can pay $5,000 a year on their debt only to have it increase because the interest is $6,000 a year.
tenor.gif

"Present"..I learned about that the hard way.

Maybe I can go to one of these an make my mortgage and utilities payment and then beg for f̶r̶e̶e̶ ̶m̶o̶n̶e̶y̶ relief.

What point is she trying to make. You borrowed the money, pay it back...

Maybe I can go to one of these an make my mortgage and utilities payment and then beg for f̶r̶e̶e̶ ̶m̶o̶n̶e̶y̶ relief.

What point is she trying to make. You borrowed the money, pay it back...

Well there are, of course, a lot of points to be made, the most basic of which is that education is simply too expensive.

A more policy-oriented point, however, is that student loan debt and interest acts as a remarkably regressive tax: persons from working and middle class backgrounds pay millions of dollars simply in student loan interest every year, which acts as a millstone for consumption, career mobility, and starting a family. Meanwhile, wealthy persons whose parents paid for their education are unfettered. It makes it such that, even though education and academic advancement are meant to be class equalizers where normal people can level the playing field with wealthy elites, it actually creates an additional system of class tiering.

Well there are, of course, a lot of points to be made, the most basic of which is that education is simply too expensive.

A more policy-oriented point, however, is that student loan debt and interest acts as a remarkably regressive tax: persons from working and middle class backgrounds pay millions of dollars simply in student loan interest every year, which acts as a millstone for consumption, career mobility, and starting a family. Meanwhile, wealthy persons whose parents paid for their education are unfettered. It makes it such that, even though education and academic advancement are meant to be class equalizers where normal people can level the playing field with wealthy elites, it actually creates an additional system of class tiering.
<WellThere>

So stay in state, work through college, start at a community college, choose a path that will actually pay well, etc.

You don't need to rack up massive debt. It's not my problem and my taxes shouldn't pay for others poor decisions.

Back