Opinion AOC paid her student loans on the congressional floor

She helped pay her way through college by working as a bartender. Isn't that a real job? It's certainly a shitty job, working at a tipped minimum likely. She then did what Americans used to aspire to, making her lot much better, and attaining office before 30.

Why you guys are soooooo eager to poo poo her on this shows a lot. I guess it's not inspirational unless you're a fat crybaby with a rich dad.

minimum tips? not with those tits

Actually why does someone making that much a year have 20k just sitting in a checking account? Why not pay off your debt or invest instead of having money doing nothing? Isn't she supposed to be an econ major?
Or maybe she is making WAY more than 176k where 20k in a checking account is nothing to her now.
Yeah this oppressed brown woman has $19,000 more in her account than this privileged white male.

I fucking hate this cunt
She has 20 grand in her account, so shes doing better than something like 95% of the country. If anything, that tells me people in congress make to much money.
Whoa.... so paying bills leaves you with less money? This really explains why I'm poor.

I'm pretty sure that the $20,000 balance she's talking about is her student loan balance, not her checking account balance, and she's saying she feels accomplished because she took a grand off her loan debt, not because she now has $1,000 less in her checking account.

It would be a more powerful statement to show that a person can pay $5,000 a year on their debt only to have it increase because the interest is $6,000 a year.

Yeah she's doing great for herself and that's great, but I'm not exactly sure what this thread is supposed to prove. Yeah someone making 176k a year should be paying down their student debt.

Actually why does someone making that much a year have 20k just sitting in a checking account? Why not pay off your debt or invest instead of having money doing nothing? Isn't she supposed to be an econ major?
Or maybe she is making WAY more than 176k where 20k in a checking account is nothing to her now.

Her point is that if it's an accomplishment to someone like her, paying off this debt, it must feel insurmountable for the vast majority of people facing this debt with very few options but to pay for an insane amount of time through the nose on interest.

Her point is that if it's an accomplishment to someone like her, paying off this debt, it must feel insurmountable for the vast majority of people facing this debt with very few options but to pay for an insane amount of time through the nose on interest.
Then they shouldn't go to places like NYU for a useless degree. Actually I just read in the news today that our local community college will PAY you to go to an apprenticeship program because they need skilled trade workers so badly in the area.

She helped pay her way through college by working as a bartender. Isn't that a real job? It's certainly a shitty job, working at a tipped minimum likely. She then did what Americans used to aspire to, making her lot much better, and attaining office before 30.

Why you guys are soooooo eager to poo poo her on this shows a lot. I guess it's not inspirational unless you're a fat crybaby with a rich dad.
So she had a job in college. Who didn't?

why is everyone coming to conclusion she has 20k in her bank account? I took that as she has a balance of 20k on her student debt and just made a payment bringing it down to 19k of debt remaining on her balance.

in any case, people who make the choice to acquire student debt do so to invest in themselves and their future with hopes of making it further in life with an education. Sounds to me like AOC accomplished exactly that and is doing quite well for herself. Why should people who do not make that personal choice to invest in themselves be forced to subsidize those who have? IS she gonna cut a check to everyone who pays taxes to eliminate her debt? No, she is going to continue to live well and benefit from her choice. I know she isnt necessarily the rule and there are plenty of examples of people accumulating debt without seeing substantial benefits salary wise. But there could also be lots of reasons behind that. Did they try to work? Did they choose a wise field to study in? Did they graduate and get their degree? Did they borrow more then they really needed in order to subsidize their life as a whole? At the end of the day, its an investment in yourself and she clearly made a sound decision that worked out for her. Not sure why shes grandstanding about paying off her debt like she should be applauded for it.

Personally I feel like any social welfare attempt to eliminate student debt needs to come with criteria that needs to be met such as grades, attendance etc... before we can even begin to have the conversation. Just saying free college is going to lead to lots of people abusing the system who dont really have the drive to work. You can apply that logic to most social welfare causes actually.

What a concept, she is being responsible! Democrats take notice and learn.

Maybe if she got a $400,000,000 loan she could have been somebody.

So she had a job in college. Who didn't?

She went from that college job to being in congress. I'm going to guess that took far more than the start of the campaign for her. Again, why you feel the need to poo poo her youth is beyond me.

Bitch about congress needing new blood, yet when it happens, bitch up a storm all the same.

Then they shouldn't go to places like NYU for a useless degree. Actually I just read in the news today that our local community college will PAY you to go to an apprenticeship program because they need skilled trade workers so badly in the area.

Wow, what a grand generalization on your part regarding what people are studying for. Jesus, you fuckin' guys.

Wow, what a grand generalization on your part regarding what people are studying for. Jesus, you fuckin' guys.
Saying accruing a ton of student debt without a plan is a bad idea is not a generalization. It's the reality of today.

I don't believe Mr. Dirt Road nor any of the posters who graced his post with a like understand what a debt is.

Unless I'm misunderstanding and he is positing that 95% of Americans owe more than $20k in student debt.

Saying accruing a ton of student debt without a plan is a bad idea is not a generalization. It's the reality of today.

I feel like you're on the verge of understanding our side on this.

So you agree the aggressive promotion of college being the only option for success is a college education, while forcing young students into signing decades long life changing debt should be reformed?

Back