Anyone willing to sponsor me?

Sorry,I just felt I was taking heat for this for no reason really.

Dont sweat it. 99.9% of the people on theese boards will never have the balls to step in a ring or octagon. Which one were you in the video?

Sprawl was willing to give a bunch of gear to random people who I would probably tap

I have no problem with fighters coming here to ask for sponcers - this however is a little out of line for 2 reasons

1) That was a competition, it had nothing to do with how good or bad the winners may be at MMA

2) You have no idea what the standard of the people that won are, we have plenty of guys here who train and are very good as well as newer folks, props to you for compeating in amateur MMA but that doesn't make you better than anyone here automatically.

Basically go for it with the sponcers if you're good enough (which you might well be) - but cut out the attitude with the rest of the forum, it's hardly going to be attractive to potential sponcers now is it?

"Dont sweat it. 99.9% of the people on theese boards will never have the balls to step in a ring or octagon. Which one were you in the video? "

I won by footlock in about 30 some seconds,it was the last fight on the video.

Sorry,I thought I was being somewhat polite.I wasnt trying to be a dick about the whole sprawl contest thing,but I was just citing that as a reference as to how people have gotten gear for free on the board.Sometimes what I type may rub people the wrong way inadvertently.I'm not asking for free gear really,I was just going to see if I could get some money or something like 5 bucks to put a patch on my gi or my shorts,something like that.I'm not trying to be an asshole,maybe I just come off that way.

I am sorry, but I was just trying to tell it like it is. You offered little info about yourself, 1 amateur fight, and asked to pay your admission to a tournment in exchange for a company sending you a t-shirt that they sell for $20.

I was just trying to make the point that you aren't offering a very good deal for potential sponsers, that is all. I wasn't trying to give you heat, just the truth.

Terrier said:
I have no problem with fighters coming here to ask for sponcers - this however is a little out of line for 2 reasons

1) That was a competition, it had nothing to do with how good or bad the winners may be at MMA

2) You have no idea what the standard of the people that won are, we have plenty of guys here who train and are very good as well as newer folks, props to you for compeating in amateur MMA but that doesn't make you better than anyone here automatically.

Basically go for it with the sponcers if you're good enough (which you might well be) - but cut out the attitude with the rest of the forum, it's hardly going to be attractive to potential sponcers now is it?
Actually, if you read this thread from the beginning, you will see that he was just trying to obtain some advice. It was only after three or four sarcastic out of line comments that he responded as such. He was being totally cool and rather patient putting up with people being sarcastic for no apparent reason. And he probably would kick their asses. Perhaps next time you will feel obliged to scold everyone who was unkind.

KzFactoryRumina said:
"Dont sweat it. 99.9% of the people on theese boards will never have the balls to step in a ring or octagon. Which one were you in the video? "

I won by footlock in about 30 some seconds,it was the last fight on the video.

Sorry,I thought I was being somewhat polite.I wasnt trying to be a dick about the whole sprawl contest thing,but I was just citing that as a reference as to how people have gotten gear for free on the board.Sometimes what I type may rub people the wrong way inadvertently.I'm not asking for free gear really,I was just going to see if I could get some money or something like 5 bucks to put a patch on my gi or my shorts,something like that.I'm not trying to be an asshole,maybe I just come off that way.
Send me a PM. I can probably hook you up with a few sponsors.

jamison said:
Actually, if you read this thread from the beginning, you will see that he was just trying to obtain some advice. It was only after three or four sarcastic out of line comments that he responded as such. He was being totally cool and rather patient putting up with people being sarcastic for no apparent reason. And he probably would kick their asses. Perhaps next time you will feel obliged to scold everyone who was unkind.

I did read the thread from the beggining and if you look back you'll see I actually asked bob to back off in support of the guy, this was before he made those comments, however as one of the competition winners I didn't like what he had to say, hence my reply.

Also you have no idea whos arse he could or could not kick, I used to spar with an amateur fighter every week and would tap him a lot more than he tapped me and i'm by no means anything special - not to take anything away from the guy - he might be great and he might be able to take me, but thats not a given and it's certainly doesn't mean he's a better fighter than a lot of the guys that train who post here.

Anyway with all that said I wish the thread starter luck with finding sponsors and in his comp.

Personally,I dont think I am an amateur level fighter.I think I could definately fight pro 155,however I have chosen not to yet since I am young,and I feel it is good to get some amateur fights in before turning pro.Not saying that I could kick everyone's ass on this board,but I feel I am a pretty good competitor,that's all.

KzFactoryRumina said:
Personally,I dont think I am an amateur level fighter.I think I could definately fight pro 155,however I have chosen not to yet since I am young,and I feel it is good to get some amateur fights in before turning pro.Not saying that I could kick everyone's ass on this board,but I feel I am a pretty good competitor,that's all.

Hey I have no reason to doubt you when you're talking about your own abilities, it's when you question those of people you don't know that I take issue. Your fight was over very quick which is a double edged sword when selling yourself because it's impressive you won so fast, but at the same time we didn't really get to see much of what you can do - i'd love to see any more fight vids(past or future) if your able to post them though.

BTW - nice vault over the rope.

Thanks.That's the only competition I have on tape,other than some of my wrestling matches that I have on VHS.I might try and get some footage of me grappling or something like that to post on here.In regards to the length of the fight,that is how I like to grapple.I try and emulate guys like Rumina Sato,Hideo Tokoro,Caol Uno,etc who are all about finishing the fight and just transitioning from move to move.

I hope this isn't taken the wrong way but I'll offer my $0.02 and hope it might be of some help. I run a small business (not MMA related) and get sponsorship requests from people ALL the time. In the rare instances that we sponsor anyone (again this is not in an MMA field) we look to see what we gain as a business.

Namely, if I invest hundreds of dollars in product or service to sponsor someone, I'm expecting that the advertising factor or other intangibles that I receive in return makes me more money than I have invested. The more you can present your case to a company that they have something to gain by sponsoring you the better your case will sound.

Some tips are to have a sponsorship packet prepared that you can send out to prospective sponsors. Include a typed sponsorship proposal where you hit the highlights showing them that you've 'been there done that' and will be a reliable competitor and a good face for their company. Including your record, plans for this year, and some vid, etc. is a good idea (you came pretty close to that part with your initial post. Good job there.)

Consider yourself HIGHLY beholden to your sponsors if you want that relationship to continue or grow. Make sure you update them with results. When you post photos and vids, make sure their logo is visible. Plug their product or make sure that when your buddies buy their product they mention that you sent them. This all can help build the idea in the company's mind that sponsoring you was a solid investment. Also, realize that even little things like a temper flare up or being rude can reflect back on your sponsor.

Sound like a big PITA? A LOT of people look at sponsorships as the quest for freebies and no strings attached help. That's why so many are turned down. If you look at it as convincing a company to invest in you, the perspective changes a bit.

Hopefully my babbling there helps some and doesn't just piss you off. Good luck at the Arnold!

Oh, and I don't think the threadstarter was out of line when he mentioned he would wear the T-shirt or rashguard in exchange for $$$. The rules normally change when you are sponsored in my experience. The company provides the product that they want to have you seen in. Although obviously, the more grassroots the sponsorship, the more it falls on a case by case basis.

I agree with some of the above posts. You need to make a portfolio, and include a resume, etc. along with an introductory cover letter. Also include a schedule of events you plan to attend in the up coming year. Be polite and factual. Also, be respectful of fighters you have beaten. The last thing a potential sponsor wants to hear is, "I beat FighterX's ass, and I should have his sponsorship package." Then follow up with a phone call. You'll get alot of rejection initially, but 6mos or a year down the road, they may see your name in a magazine or somthing and contact you. It's alot about establishing and maintaining relationships. While not expensive, if you can't afford the $90 to enter the tourney, you prolly can't afford to get the portfolios printed up.

Also, on a public forum like this, you'll get a less then favorable results. The basic reason is that if it's publicly mentioned that they help you, then they're inviting tons of requests from all the "keyboard warriors."

i posted on here a while back for some sponsers, companies really do try to help if you can show that you will rep them properly.
i recieved a gi, some shorts, payment for my flight to brazil, and patches from a lot of places.
i am 22-8 in grappling tournies and i did well while while i was competing.
but theres a lot more to it than just going to tournies and doing well

Change of plans to people to are going to sponsor me.I think I maybe doing the Amateur MMA tourney.My hand is feeling better and I can punch again,so I think that is what I might do.

Back