anyone who thinks Jan is an easy fight then watch Gus fight

killer spider

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Gustafsson is taller and has longer reach than Adesanya
he won most of the exchanges on the feet , Gus had to wrestle to beat him
of course Izzy is the better striker but this fight is way closer than you think
Izzy has the speed advantage but I don't think he can take a shot from Jan

I remember that night vividly.

It was some shitty euro card and I had a massive acca bet using Gus as ‘cannon fodder’...
I never ever doubted Jan again after that fight, he had me SWEATING

Anyone who thinks Jan is an easy fight then watch this and have your beliefs confirmed -

FelineFaithfulIrishwolfhound-size_restricted.gif

ShorttermWarlikeBluefish-size_restricted.gif

Gus is easily one of the most overrated figthers (classic swedish hype) in UFC history. The best fight in his entire career was literally a loss.
I guess being legitimately the #3-4 for a long period of time is overrated now? Gus greatest accomplishments have indeed been losses/close losses but he has also beaten several ranked opponents. Gus in the last couple of years has been a can though.

I agree with TS though and I’ve said it in other threads, Gus’ bread and butter is his boxing but he was getting tagged badly by Jan and had to wrestle/GNP to get a win. Jan is of course the weakest champ since Griffin and LHW hasn’t been this bad for decades, but he is still quite skilled and I think Adesanya will struggle with his power and size.

Gus is easily one of the most overrated figthers (classic swedish hype) in UFC history. The best fight in his entire career was literally a loss.
I'm swedish so I obviously look biased but I think in terms of talent he is next to Jon Jones in the 205 division. He arguably fought a juiced up Jones in his prime to a draw and gave him his toughest fight. Fought a very close match with DC wich he could've won, but DC out-toughed him.

Problem with Gus is that he is weak mental, he doesn't seem to handle losses well and it feels like he is kind of a front runner, folds when it gets though.

I remember Gus told in an interview that Jan may not look the best he is awkward in the stand up and he deicided it would be easier to just take him down.

look at it this way if jan got outwrestled by gus that his grappling credentials must be really average

this was like his only way to victory against izzy apart from a fluke punch of course

Back