Anyone use the trap bar / hex bar deadlift?

Grip in line with center of the foot.

If you're doing it for quads, there's no shame in doing overload sets with straps.

Hmmm..... So execution question here
Last time I used one I got up to four plates per side then it started get unwieldy. Hard to balance in the hand. Any usage tips?
Are we talking about front squat or hex bars?

I can't quite hit 405 on front squat yet. Haven't maxed in quite a while but 365 is my best

I'm a huge fan of trap bar deads. Takes a lot of the weight off the vulnerable spots in your lower back.

I noticed that with me, I would grab it in the same spot as before and had perfect balance, but when the weight went up, it would lean one way or the other. A lot of that has to do with your grip failing. Obviously we're not perfectly even in regards to grip strength and which fingers have more power. Personally, I just move my grip a little bit back since my ring and pink fingers are losing the grip sooner (they actually extend out from the bar a bit) which leaves the mid point of the bar in between my pointer and middle finger instead of right at my middle finger. This way, if my pinky/ring fingers start to lose grip, the bar doesn't sink backwards.

Does that make sense? It's easier to show in person than put it into words I guess.

I noticed that with me, I would grab it in the same spot as before and had perfect balance, but when the weight went up, it would lean one way or the other. A lot of that has to do with your grip failing. Obviously we're not perfectly even in regards to grip strength and which fingers have more power. Personally, I just move my grip a little bit back since my ring and pink fingers are losing the grip sooner (they actually extend out from the bar a bit) which leaves the mid point of the bar in between my pointer and middle finger instead of right at my middle finger. This way, if my pinky/ring fingers start to lose grip, the bar doesn't sink backwards.

Does that make sense? It's easier to show in person than put it into words I guess.

Think I've got what you're saying

I like my trap bar but the handles are really thin and the knurling is a bitch it just shreds my hands. If I want to go heavy I have to use wrist straps.

Trap bar is good. I find it easier on the joints. Also another trick is to mix in elevated trap bar deadlift, just to take some strain off the back once in a while.
You can either elevate the weights by placing them on something or use a special trap bar that has elevated handles

Bump,

Was reading this article

https://www.t-nation.com/training/trap-bar-deadlift

Was wondering if anyone had any further thoughts.

I've been trying to work out how to add it into my routine, as a sub for deadlifts or squats, or as an assistance exercise on dead lift day.

It doesn't seem to hurt my knees as much as other lower body exercises, not sure why.

I was under the impression it was more a squat assistance movement.

I like my trap bar but the handles are really thin and the knurling is a bitch it just shreds my hands. If I want to go heavy I have to use wrist straps.
Yeah i've noticed trap bars tend to have fucking cheese grater handles

I don't see why it couldn't be used as a primary movement, or as assistance. In either case, I would recommend keeping the volume in check.

I was under the impression it was more a squat assistance movement.

Yeah, I do my squat assistance exercises on dead lift day. Either way I think I might have weak quads relative to my posterior chain as my hips like to drift up a little in deads. Trap bar might be a good way to target them with free weight?

Yeah, I do my squat assistance exercises on dead lift day. Either way I think I might have weak quads relative to my posterior chain as my hips like to drift up a little in deads. Trap bar might be a good way to target them with free weight?

I have the same problem. I have very weak quads in comparison to my PC.

Why would I address that post in a serious manner?
I've had some serious lower back issues and I find the straight bar places a lot of strain on it. The trap bar does not. My deepest and most sincere apologies.

Back