Anyone use a dedicated mp3 player anymore?

I use MP3's for working out. I would just end up having to buy a new phone every 6 months if I went that route. MP3's are comparatively cheap and disposable.

I use Spotify Premium on my phone + bluetooth headphones. I just keep my big ass phone in my gym bag. I tried the Clip + MP3 but I lost 2 of them. They are too damn small...

I still use one of those 4 gb clip on mp3 players when I go jogging.

Had an iPod for the longest time. The 64 gb with days worth of music on it. However, Spotify premium has made it obsolete so now I use my phone in the gym, car etc.

I had a Nano that broke, so I use my s5 at the gym. I'd much prefer the nano since the phone is too bulky.

Unless I'm doing cardio, then I'd prefer my phone as I can watch tv/movies on it.

i still have and use the ipod nano 6th generation. it is the best ipod ever made. i use it at the gym and when i go running. its tiny, comes equipped with a good clip, and can hold more music than i can listen to. i got this one on warranty after the first one broke, and its out of production now so it will be the last best mp3 player ill ever have :(

its much smaller than my phone is and not at all a burden to run with, or workout with when i dont have pockets. it's the smallest of the nanos. its bigger than some shuffles, but you can pick your song which is a big deal.

I don't have an old relic, well actually I do but don't use it anymore. But what I do use is not an old relic, but a portable digital music player that has way better quality output than an iPod or most other players.

mainfiio.jpg

FiiO X3

Ipod Classic 120gb.

My main source of music when I'm out and about.

I depend on my ipod. Phones don't hold squat. And like Pete says I don't like different functions messing with each other. I like leaving my ipod in the car. And I have way way too much music for my phone and any size sd card. Every time I get a new album I have to choose something old to take off my ipod which I hate. I've got 257GB of music.

Unfortunately ipods suck. I've had three and all of them have frozen up constantly. I have to restart mine all of the time. I really don[t understand why there isn't an alternative to one that holds more than 64gb or some other small amount. There's one I've been looking at that holds a ton (can't think of the name right now) but nothing will ever connect with the ease of an ipod and the ipod cord where you can control it on your car's head unit. For now at least. I don't understand why no one cares about this.

Edit: Yeah that Fiio is one of the units I was looking at. I was thinking there was a different one I liked more though. I'm not a big fan of sd cards. I've always had problem with them. I've never had a card last more than a year no matter what brand or how I treat it. I want a unit with a huge built in storage capacity. Like 500gb. I'm pretty sure there is ONE unit but I can't think of who makes it.

Last edited:
Yep, I still have my walkman.
YShQ9mF.jpg

I've been using a 160 g iPod classic for a few years now.

I have way too much music to put on a phone.

IPod touch with 8 days of music on it.

Alas the battery is now shit and requires near constant charging.

I don't have an old relic, well actually I do but don't use it anymore. But what I do use is not an old relic, but a portable digital music player that has way better quality output than an iPod or most other players.

mainfiio.jpg

FiiO X3
Celine Dion. You're a brave man.

Old iPod memories? Lots of them. Plugged that bitch into the car for some long ass road trips. Made up some killer playlists for 10K runs and half marathons.

Nice to have something smaller like an iPod Nano when you're running, as opposed to a phone.

The last MP3 player I owned was one of the original generation Toshiba Gigabeat. I liked the Gigabeat except that it had this problem where it would out of the blue delete all the songs on the device.

I currently have a rooted Samsung Galaxy S4 with 64 GB microSD card and I use the microSD to store my music. The one problem I have with that is the fact that my music library is almost a full 1 terabyte so I end up removing and adding music a lot.

Back