Anyone train at BTT Canada?

Cdn_Fight_Fan

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm going to be in Montreal next month for UFC 83.

I live in a town right now that doesn't have any BJJ schools (actually, there is a school that claims to teach BJJ, but they spelled it "Brazilian Jui-Jitsu" in their ad so I don't think they're legit, lol) , and I'd like to at least try it out when I have the chance.

I found this schedule on Fabio Holanda's homepage (http://www.fabioholanda.com/ingles/i-equipe.htm)

It says there is a No Gi BJJ class on Friday from 6:30-8:00. Is this a beginner class suitable for a noob who's only BJJ knowledge comes from watching a ton of fights and a few instructionals?

What about the Muay Thai classes from 7:00-8:30 on Friday or 1:00-2:30 on Saturday, or 1:30-3:00 on Sunday? Are those beginner level or more advance?

Are those class times accurate? and will they be the same during the weekend of the UFC (maybe they will be disrupted because there will be fighters wanting to train there?)

Also how much would it cost if I just wanted to train a couple sessions on Friday/Saturday/Sunday?

Thanks. :icon_chee

i train at an affiliate BTT Canada school in Ottawa and i can tell you that its a great school.

if you have never trained before, i would find out if the friday class is open mat or not but ether way im sure they would be happy to help you out.

I haven't done the no-gi classes at Gamma. I keep meaning to, but never manage to make it down. If they're anything like the gi classes, they should be pretty good. There are some really talented guys that train there, and the evening classes generally have a pretty good turn-out (based on my experience with the Monday/Wednesday evening BJJ).

A friend of mine did Muay Thai there for a while, but I think he's going to start training somewhere that has more of a focus on sparring. He was doing the Muay Thai I, which he indicated was mostly technical drills.

many legit brazilians differ on how they spell jiu jitsu...I have seen it spelled ju jutsu before. Check out that school, it might still be legit, bjj is new enough that lineage can be traced back in most cases, so check it out and do some research.

I live in Ajax.

As far as I know there's no schools here. Justin Bruckman has a gym in Oshawa, but it's too far/expensive to travel for me at this point.

That ad could just be a typo. I wouldn't dismiss the school just because of that, I'd check it out at least.

http://www.montrealbjj.com/ is a BJJ Revolution Team affiliate, how far away is that from you?

Fabio's place looks like a good school too.

That ad could just be a typo. I wouldn't dismiss the school just because of that, I'd check it out at least.

http://www.montrealbjj.com/ is a BJJ Revolution Team affiliate, how far away is that from you?

Fabio's place looks like a good school too.

He's not in Montreal - he's visiting Montreal.

A friend of mine trains at Montreal BJJ. It's in a church basement a few blocks from my place, but I've never made it over there.

I heard it's a very good gym.

I am from MTL, but living in Europe now.
I'd also like to train there when i go back to visit in April...

COuld be good if u can pay per lesson or just go roll there.

You can pay per class at GAMMA (where BTT is located). I'm told you can also do the same at Montreal BJJ, but as I said earlier; I haven't checked that place out.

If I recall correctly, single classes are in the neighborhood of $20.

It says there is a No Gi BJJ class on Friday from 6:30-8:00. Is this a beginner class suitable for a noob who's only BJJ knowledge comes from watching a ton of fights and a few instructionals?

The No gi classes are mixed (Beginner-Intermediate-Advanced), but beginner friendly. Nobody will try to take your head off and the instruction is good.

Back