Anyone think the dos anjos injury was a blessing ?

Not a blessing for RDA. He was spared a lengthy media tour this time round due to the short time frame. He wouldn't be able to for the rematch (if it happens). That's an environment Conor thrives and his opponents suffer in. RDA will be dragged in front of Irish crowds and be forced to endure "Q&A" sessions if he wants that big payday.
Conor wins a fight in 13 seconds and every sheep on this forum thinks he gets in the head of all his opponents. RDA is a big boy. He can handle a couple boring reporters asking the same exact questions over and over and Conor answering them in the exact same way over and over.

No way. I hate it when fighters have to drop from main events due to injury. I always feel genuinely bad for them, even the fighters I don't like.

That said, I definitely wanted to see McG vs Diaz over RDA. RDA/McG is just not a fight I could get all that enthused about this soon since Aldo. I had hoped it would be something like: Edgar, then Aldo rematch, then move to LW to face a non-champ, then LW champ. Most Conor fans might never admit this but as a huge Conor fan I feel like he has a good chance of losing to RDA and I just wanted to see him win a few more times before that happens.

No way. I hate it when fighters have to drop from main events due to injury. I always feel genuinely bad for them, even the fighters I don't like.

That said, I definitely wanted to see McG vs Diaz over RDA. RDA/McG is just not a fight I could get all that enthused about this soon since Aldo. I had hoped it would be something like: Edgar, then Aldo rematch, then move to LW to face a non-champ, then LW champ. Most Conor fans might never admit this but as a huge Conor fan I feel like he has a good chance of losing to RDA and I just wanted to see him win a few more times before that happens.

I agree with all this except Aldo. Fuck aldo. Dude was KO'ed dead in 13 sec not to mention ruined 1 card before. He should have to fight for #1 spot and I'm sure Dana will make him. Espcially after latest..."anytime anywhere...oh I mean not this time" when given opportunity.

Honestly after Nate called him out in that post fight interview, I wanted to see this fight. It's cool that it's happening too, but I wish it had had time to get the proper build up instead of trying to force it all into one press conference

Conor wins a fight in 13 seconds and every sheep on this forum thinks he gets in the head of all his opponents. RDA is a big boy. He can handle a couple boring reporters asking the same exact questions over and over and Conor answering them in the exact same way over and over.

Huh? What does anything have to do with the KO? People have been bitching and whining about the abuse Aldo was getting from the fans during the media tour way before189. Aldo himself was whining about the food and the flights even though they were booked into five-star hotels and flying private jets. He went from smiling at Conor's antics to getting agitated as F, to eventually walking out of the presser before 194.

Are you saying Aldo was just being a baby? If RDA is such a big boy, how come he couldn't hold back from talking shit on Twitter after the press conference several days ago? I distinctly remember him saying that he will "do his talking in the cage". Now let's see him getting dragged to Dublin on the 12 hour flight and then having to answer questions about why he was such a pussy from the fans. Let's see how he handles that.

Huh? What does anything have to do with the KO? People have been bitching and whining about the abuse Aldo was getting from the fans during the media tour way before189. Aldo himself was whining about the food and the flights even though they were booked into five-star hotels and flying private jets. He went from smiling at Conor's antics to getting agitated as F, to eventually walking out of the presser before 194.

Are you saying Aldo was just being a baby? If RDA is such a big boy, how come he couldn't hold back from talking shit on Twitter after the press conference several days ago? I distinctly remember him saying that he will "do his talking in the cage". Now let's see him getting dragged to Dublin on the 12 hour flight and then having to answer questions about why he was such a pussy from the fans. Let's see how he handles that.
I don't know why you assume these guys emotions are so fragile. RDA makes a tweet and that means he's gotten to? Nobody with any amount of sense thinks he's 'such a pussy' for fucking up his foot, and his fans wouldn't be saying that to him. Are you saying Conor's fans will call him a pussy? Big deal. Why do you think he won't be able to handle it? Because Aldo walked out of a Q&A, so surely RDA will too? Is that how things work?

I don't know why you assume these guys emotions are so fragile. RDA makes a tweet and that means he's gotten to? Nobody with any amount of sense thinks he's 'such a pussy' for fucking up his foot, and his fans wouldn't be saying that to him. Are you saying Conor's fans will call him a pussy? Big deal. Why do you think he won't be able to handle it? Because Aldo walked out of a Q&A, so surely RDA will too? Is that how things work?

RDA: let him talk as much as he wants. I'll do my talking in the cage.

-Does not show up in the cage.
-Talks shit on Twitter.

Don't make statements when you can't begin to back them up. And we're not talking about RDA, we're talking about Aldo and how the media tour got to him, and for that we have plenty of evidence that goes way beyond simple Tweets. The guy was openly complaining about the schedule and the food, going from "clown Conor make king laugh" to getting rustled big time, threatening to not do any more media and walking out of a presser. Are you claiming Aldo is mentally weak and RDA is somehow much stronger in that department? Looks to me that RDA has folded many more times in fights than Aldo has.

i think RDS could have physically just swallowed up mcgregor in potentially boring but methodical fashion.

Whereas I think mcgregor will pepper Diaz in methodical but impressive fashion all while Diaz takes the beating and leaves us with memorable moments.

It sets up as a nice WW Opener and helps hype the RDS fight more which ....could be held at UFC200?
Yes. It was a 'blessing'. The UFC are counting their UFC 200 money now. After the Mendes fight pulled big numbers, they got a two for one when Aldo actually happened. Now they get another two for one when RDA's 'injured' foot heals just in time for UFC 200.

since this thread keeps popping I'll give my two cents: I don't think it was a blessing, I think it was fucking bullshit.

I'm just happy they found a replacement. Nothing gs worse than a card losing its main event.

I think others could have but weren't allowed to. Also, it's easier to have achieved that without defending. Not shooting ya down just saying I don't see it as that monumental or unprecedented if it's the shortest possible route
Even if that's true, no one ever pushed for it like Conor has. Jones always chose to remain at LHW. Weidman never pushed for it. Silva didn't want to fight Lyoto, then Jones became champ after the Shogun/Machida rematch, and despite fan interest, Jones/Silva was obviously a mismatch. GSP never wanted to move up. Edgar and Benson struggled in their own division. Pettis and Aldo were injured a lot, so their fight never happened. Cruz obviously has been injured a lot. Barao wouldn't fight Aldo. Mighty Mouse probably should be moving up to go for the BW title, but his low drawing power doesn't help him. Still, he could push for it more.

Plus, McGregor didn't quite have the shortest possible route. He had to fight twice to get his featherweight title. And his 5-0 run to the title is more impressive than Aldo's reign.

I find this logic strange. His a champion ffs, it's not like he is a contender at FW. I agree that an interim title is bs but champ vs champ is something to celebrate.
I disagree. I think champion vs. champion fights should only happen when both champions have cleared out their divisions (Penn/GSP 2). McG has 0 FW defenses and LW still has plenty of fights for RDA.

Even if that's true, no one ever pushed for it like Conor has. Jones always chose to remain at LHW. Weidman never pushed for it. Silva didn't want to fight Lyoto, then Jones became champ after the Shogun/Machida rematch, and despite fan interest, Jones/Silva was obviously a mismatch. GSP never wanted to move up. Edgar and Benson struggled in their own division. Pettis and Aldo were injured a lot, so their fight never happened. Cruz obviously has been injured a lot. Barao wouldn't fight Aldo. Mighty Mouse probably should be moving up to go for the BW title, but his low drawing power doesn't help him. Still, he could push for it more.

Plus, McGregor didn't quite have the shortest possible route. He had to fight twice to get his featherweight title. And his 5-0 run to the title is more impressive than Aldo's reign.
His run is DEFINITELY not more impressive than Aldo's reign. And yes, two title fights (if you want to count Mendes, 3) is pretty short of a route to two belts. Aldo says the UFC wouldn't let him move up, and it didn't make sense for Anderson to move up, I don't think anyone up there beats him save Bones, but they didn't need Silva beating their PPV draws. MM could well challenge at BW soon. I think McGregor COULD be looked at as one of the best to do it, just not yet.

His run is DEFINITELY not more impressive than Aldo's reign. And yes, two title fights (if you want to count Mendes, 3) is pretty short of a route to two belts. Aldo says the UFC wouldn't let him move up, and it didn't make sense for Anderson to move up, I don't think anyone up there beats him save Bones, but they didn't need Silva beating their PPV draws. MM could well challenge at BW soon. I think McGregor COULD be looked at as one of the best to do it, just not yet.
It impressed me more. Aldo showed more TDD, but McGregor looked like the better fighter. Aldo's wins are mostly decisions, he fought safe, and they were spread out over a large amount of time. Conor came in and destroyed everyone. I know you'll speak to the level of competition. And I've considered that and still feel the same. Aldo doesn't destroy Conor's opponents like Conor did. Conor doesn't fight to a safe decision against Lamas or KZ or Florian and he KO's Hominick easily. Like I said, his only knock is that Lamas, Mendes, Edgar can get takedowns easier against Conor than Aldo

Aldo is full of shit. His recent bullshit quotes about fighting Conor "anywhere, any time" are evidence of that. Then there's that drug test fiasco. Aldo wasn't active. He wasn't prepared to fight that much of the time, so naturally there weren't many windows in which he could be considered the best LW challenger.

It impressed me more. Aldo showed more TDD, but McGregor looked like the better fighter. Aldo's wins are mostly decisions, he fought safe, and they were spread out over a large amount of time. Conor came in and destroyed everyone. I know you'll speak to the level of competition. And I've considered that and still feel the same. Aldo doesn't destroy Conor's opponents like Conor did. Conor doesn't fight to a safe decision against Lamas or KZ or Florian and he KO's Hominick easily. Like I said, his only knock is that Lamas, Mendes, Edgar can get takedowns easier against Conor than Aldo

Aldo is full of shit. His recent bullshit quotes about fighting Conor "anywhere, any time" are evidence of that. Then there's that drug test fiasco. Aldo wasn't active. He wasn't prepared to fight that much of the time, so naturally there weren't many windows in which he could be considered the best LW challenger.
I agree that Aldo would not have stayed active enough to retain both belts, but sure would have been nice to see them superfights (I think Edgar/Aldo is underrated). And well, Aldo has been the untouchable champ in major organizations for a loooong time. That said,

Not enough people appreciate McGregor's style. He counterpunches, or he moves forward to elicit counterpressure, or he corners you against the cage. He is very unlikely to be in a boring fight. But, give me years of dominance over a hot streak. Same reason why Weidman wasn't considered better than Silva

No not at all...we were suppose to see history in the making with a guy moving up going after belts...and now hes fighting nate diaz....ZZZzzz...

I disagree. I think champion vs. champion fights should only happen when both champions have cleared out their divisions (Penn/GSP 2). McG has 0 FW defenses and LW still has plenty of fights for RDA.

I will respectfully disagree. If beating the P4P number 1 in 13 seconds isn't enough for some people it's clear to me they are letting hate cloud their judgement.

Back