1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Anyone taking up Data Science?

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by icemanliddell, Feb 15, 2020.

1. icemanliddell Purple Belt

walking in Manila storm, keeping head high, unafra
    For now, I am taking the Calculus requisites, but I still have no clue what the typical work life of a data scientist really is. Any data scientist here? Do you enjoy your work?

How is the job any different from a Statistician who knows a little bit on computer programming?

Not really great at math but I love the predictive power of statistics. Mastering it kills the fake news and gives you direction on making big decisions in life.

Reading a book now called "Data Science from Scratch".

2. surrealworlds Black Belt

I'm finishing up a Comp science degree and was curious about this. Following thread for more info. Seems like too much math for me but I'm interested.

3. OverCoronavirus Pressure Mayberry = War Room, WR = OT. Shit. Banned

5/7/89 Grateful Dead show, Frost amphitheatre
    I can mentally calculate, without help, change from any cash purchase.
    <{smellit?}>

4. VulcanNervPinch Gold Belt

You can find lots of diagrams like these that attempt to simplify what it's all about...except that they all differ.

The best fast explanation I can give you is that a data scientist is very smart, almost always has an advanced degree, and is usually something of a jack of all trades, being good, but not elite, at a lot of analytic skills.
    However, depending on your company/department/assignments different "data scientists" will focus more on different areas.

[​IMG]

5. Jack Reacheround Never Go Black

I am not considered a data scientist, but I majored in economics and took many quantitative Econ and econometrics classes, which is basically what data science is. I really do enjoy doing that type of work, but don’t get much of a chance to do it in my current job.

6. General_Speckz Purple Belt

The field has a ton of growth, but like tech its becoming so big that degree is very important. The higher degree you have the more earning potential.

There's some stories on Reddit of data scientists getting relegated to "data analyst" roles in order to pay them less.

There's a big problem in the US with people chasing high paying jobs with amazing growth, but not taking in account that there's so many people chasing these jobs, the only way to deviate from becoming a statistic is to have a degree, undergrad minimum for median pay, graduate degree for high end pay, PHD > Masters.