Anyone surprised by the Pros Pick: Jones vs. DC in favor of DC?

Wow...Gilbert just crapped the bed on ESPN. He and Chael were doing a live promo of the fight and Chael asked him who he thought was going to win and he said "I am going to go with DC...I think if he can"...then he switches and says, "Actually I am going with Jon Jones." It was beyond awkward.

Not really.. Those are usually biased and have people making picks that have affiliations..

I think it's like Cain pre-Brock or Weidman pre-Silva.. all the insiders know just how good Cormier really is.

He's not as flashy as Jones and some people hold it against him that he doesn't run through people and finish them in the first or second round (especially someone like Mir, people thought that would be over very quickly)

but he's also never EVER come close to losing a round.

I think reach is the biggest problem for him but if he can get past it (that's a big if) people will be surprised at how well he does.

I think DC just might have this

The problem with that is Brock was a one trick pony and Cain had all the tools to stop that one trick and dominate him. I don't know who all the insiders are that think DC is so great but what I do know is Jones is 21-0 effectively and the LHW GOAT.. I am sure all the insiders on his team will tell you how insanely talented he is as well.. Watching DC fight Nelson and Mir I fail to see why Jones won't have advantages in this fight? DC is really good but untested both at HW and LHW in the UFC.. Fought nobody in the top 5 at HW or LHW..

Doesn't surprise me the slightest, seems to be on par with what most people think so.

Doesn't surprise me the slightest, seems to be on par with what most people think so.

Who is most people?

Jones is a slight betting favorite..

They polled 31 fighters for this one.. Not exactly a huge sample size and many of them said "I'm pulling for DC man"

Wow...Gilbert just crapped the bed on ESPN. He and Chael were doing a live promo of the fight and Chael asked him who he thought was going to win and he said "I am going to go with DC...I think if he can"...then he switches and says, "Actually I am going with Jon Jones." It was beyond awkward.

Even the pros are unsure about this fight

Bottom line is people don't know who is going to win this fight?

You can't look at Jones and say

"He is really weak in this area and that is where DC is at his best"

DC is on paper the best wrestler but Jones is also a great wrestler with amazing TDD..
Striking- I would favor Jones but DC has good hands and big power
JJ- again I favor Jones but he may be on his back in this one and not be effective with submissions..
Cardio- I don't think either man will gas
Heart- Jones has shown he won't quit or wilt in a fight.. We don't know this about DC..

Lots of intangibles here and a tough one to call..

I would like to see what the pro's thought last week before we found out Sensei Seagal was helping out Cormier. That definitely swayed the decisions this week.

DC is on paper the best wrestler but Jones is also a great wrestler with amazing TDD..
JJ- again I favor Jones but he may be on his back in this one and not be effective with submissions..
Heart- Jones has shown he won't quit or wilt in a fight.. We don't know this about DC..

100% correct

I'm rooting for DC but JBJ is a formidable opponent, very resourceful and somewhat like prime Fedor he has both a frame/physical attributes/skills that you can't find anyone to efficiently emulate until you face him.

I'm very excited for this one, like I've not been since Fedor CC
I've been thinking DC to have the tools to beat JBJ since the Big Foot fight, so now is the time to know

On a few of your points

The Cormier hype is out of control. I'm not even much of a Jones fan, but I'm rooting for him even harder just to bring half of the MMA world back down to earth.

Calling Cormier hype at this point makes you look silly. There has never been an undefeated fighter dropping from HW to fight for the title that has top 10 wins in both weight classes.

im shocked actually cuz jones should still be a big favorite. sure DC may come out and just school jones, but he may also get caught and flash ko'd in the 1st round (which for some reason i see happening)

When has Jones ever shown KO power in the past? Really doubt he will flash KO Cormier.

Pro's in general don't seem to have sharper picks than the general public and can be just as biased, so I don't put much value on their opinion.

this

the only authority that seems worth considering is how the bookmakers are applying odds to the fight. i dunno how they do it but they seem to know more than anyone

Jones isn't the most liked, pretty sure he is behind on votes for the sherdog poll as well which is strange because he is the clear favorite here

Calling Cormier hype at this point makes you look silly. There has never been an undefeated fighter dropping from HW to fight for the title that has top 10 wins in both weight classes.

Watch his fights though, he hasn't exactly lit the world on fire with his performances. Jones however has...

I'm not a Jones fan but I'm shocked at the number of people who think DC is a clear favorite. Jones is probably the best 205# fighter there ever has been in terms of talent, adaptability, unpredictability and controlling a fight. The only time he's been in anything resembling a fight was with a guy who was pretty much his physical mirror.

DC's legit but anyone who figures Jones is the guy in over his head isn't paying attention.

Watch his fights though, he hasn't exactly lit the world on fire with his performances. Jones however has...

Cormier has never lost a round. Jones has gotten beat up and put in the hospital after a fight however.

Back