Anyone surprised by the Pros Pick: Jones vs. DC in favor of DC?

I've bet on MMA exactly 3 times in the past.

I put a bunch of money on Frank Mir to beat Brock Lesnar the first time they fought.

I put a bunch of money on Verdum to beat Gonzaga.

I put a bunch of money on Nick Diaz to beat BJ Penn.

All three were underdogs for some reason, but I was pretty confident all three were safe bets. All three paid off well.

And today I just put a bunch of money on Cormier to beat Jones. Not near as much as my other bets, and the pro picks didn't really affect me that much.

We'll see if I bring my betting record to 4-0 on odds underdogs.

We'll see how you do.

You got lucky on the Lesnar vs. Mir fight. I think a ref could have stopped that fight and given Lesnar the TKO victory over Mir and a lot of people wouldn't have been against that. Instead the ref stopped the fight for the back of the head strikes.

Jones is a complete fighter and he is gong to win. I don't doubt that Cormier may get him to the ground but I don't see him doing anything, Jones has long legs and I believe he has a solid ground game, I see him getting armbars and triangles with ease. Cormier will gas around the third by the way.

Not really. The pros are no more objective than sherdoggers.

Most of the Pro's didn't seem to go out on a limb and say Dan was going to win. There were asked a question by a reporter and probably felt like they had to say something. I heard "could" and "I think" a lot. I think most of them probably would not be too surprised whoever won.

When someone comes up to you and asks you want you think will happen and you include "I think" in the answer it does not mean you are not being objective. A bit of doubt is included in the answer.

I personally think Dan can win it. Am I being objective? I said can win, not probably win , or win for sure. I wouldn't be shocked of Jon wins in the first, Dan wins in the first, or it goes the distance with either one winning. I simply think Dan can win, that does not make me wrong if Jon wins because that is a non-committed response.

When someone says "can win" it is nothing more than saying it is a possibility.

Last edited:
Most of the Pro's didn't seem to go out on a limb and say Dan was going to win. There were asked a question by a reporter and probably felt like they had to say something. I heard "could" and "I think" a lot. I think most of them probably would not be too surprised whoever won.

When someone comes up to you and asks you want you think will happen and you include "I think" in the answer it does not mean you are not being objective. A bit of doubt is included in the answer.

I personally think Dan can win it. Am I being objective? I said can win, not probably win , or win for sure. I wouldn't be shocked of Jon wins in the first, Dan wins in the first, or it goes the distance with either one winning. I simply think Dan can win, that does not make me wrong if Jon wins because that is a non-committed response.

When someone says "can win" it is nothing more than staying a possiblity.

Yes, he certainly can win. Like the oddsmakers, I think it is more likely that Jones will win.

TBH, I didn't read most of the pro's comments. I read a select few and checked the final tally. I assumed it was a legit summary of the comments/votes.

i was quite surprised. i thought it might be 50-50 or close, but the landslide for dc surprised me.

Last edited:
Love the sherpups that find ways to rationalize why their opinion is equal to the fighters/trainers themselves.

Love the sherpups that find ways to rationalize why their opinion is equal to the fighters/trainers themselves.

I don't need to rationalize why my picks are, I just look at the history and see how inaccurate the fighters/trainers are when they make picks. Their opinion on MMA overall certainly holds more sway than mine (as it should), but it doesn't mean they pick winners any better (they don't).

Nam Phan has fought in the UFC, I haven't. If I bet on fights using his picks I'd have gone broke long ago.

The closer the fight gets, the more it feels like Weidman/Silva to me. Before that fight I thought it was crazy how close the odds were and how many people were picking Weidman. Getting that same feeling now with Cormier, hopefully he has the same success as Weidman did.

Not at all surprised
I'm expecting an unpleasant evening for bones

I'm surprised by the amount of people who really think DC will finish Bones

The closer the fight gets, the more it feels like Weidman/Silva to me. Before that fight I thought it was crazy how close the odds were and how many people were picking Weidman. Getting that same feeling now with Cormier, hopefully he has the same success as Weidman did.

Sweet av mate, know her name by any chance ?

im shocked actually cuz jones should still be a big favorite. sure DC may come out and just school jones, but he may also get caught and flash ko'd in the 1st round (which for some reason i see happening)

Ive never seen DC rocked even by the biggest hws, and Jones doesn't have that much ko power. Maybe a spinning hellbow

Remember Weidman vs Silva, where it seemed unthinkable that Silva could lose? This is where we are again. Cormier is throwing guys like Barnett, Bigfoot and Mir about (big hws), and Jones wins most of his fights due to a size advantage. Like it or not, Cormier has a huge chance in this fight

Yeah as previously stated it's not like these guys are putting10 k on the fight.. Is so Jones odds def. Go up I like D Cs chances but i liked Glovers chances as well.

To be fair most of them are saying "i hope DC wins" etc... sounds more like they want him to win than that they think he is going to win.

I'm rooting for DC, and he will win, but pros seem to always pick who they want to win.

Also, they always seem to go with the hipster pick.

What a meaningless use of the word "hipster" lol

Pros gave the nod, 20 to DC and 11 to Jones for winning the fight. I always thouhht DC would be one of Jones toughtest opponents and a fighter that could beat and Jones but I just have a feeling that Jones will win this time. I think DC would be extremely hard to finish for anyone and that if Jones wins it will be by decision.

Anyone else surprised by the pros picks being in favor of DC?

People pick who they like + a shit tonne train with DC.

I think it's like Cain pre-Brock or Weidman pre-Silva.. all the insiders know just how good Cormier really is.

He's not as flashy as Jones and some people hold it against him that he doesn't run through people and finish them in the first or second round (especially someone like Mir, people thought that would be over very quickly)

but he's also never EVER come close to losing a round.

I think reach is the biggest problem for him but if he can get past it (that's a big if) people will be surprised at how well he does.

I think DC just might have this

I think it's like Cain pre-Brock or Weidman pre-Silva.. all the insiders know just how good Cormier really is.

He's not as flashy as Jones and some people hold it against him that he doesn't run through people and finish them in the first or second round (especially someone like Mir, people thought that would be over very quickly)

but he's also never EVER come close to losing a round.

I think reach is the biggest problem for him but if he can get past it (that's a big if) people will be surprised at how well he does.

I think DC just might have this

Yeah. I think DC is really good too. I still think Jones will win but I wouldn't be surprised at all if DC won it.

Back