Anyone remember...

FTFY
Yoel has missed weight in 2 of his last 3 fights that were booked at MW. The guy has been booked for 3 UFC MW title fights and he missed weight in 2 of them. 66% of his MW title fights he missed weight. What is he missed weight again for this Israel fight and the commission cancels the fight last minute? Will you be OK with that?
yes id rather see that the till or cannonier.

yes id rather see that the till or cannonier.
I get it but I don't like rankings having zero consideration at all. Is Yoel just going to have MW title fights once a year for the next 5 years whether he makes weight, wins or loses?

I get it but I don't like rankings having zero consideration at all. Is Yoel just going to have MW title fights once a year for the next 5 years whether he makes weight, wins or loses?
Rankings are more or less made up also. I think a viable contender which can threaten the champ is much better.

I doubt it.

Rankings are more or less made up also. I think a viable contender which can threaten the champ is much better.

I doubt it.
Rankings as currently set up for the UFC are absolutely made up at times. Ceronne #5 and Conor #4 is a good example but at least they were trying. Aldo has never won at BW, lost his debut, is ranked #9 and Sterling and Yan are ranked 1 & 2.

Imagine the Yankees finishing last in the A.L. and the Dodgers finishing last in the N.L. but being put in the world series because they are most popular???

Imagine the Yankees finishing last in the A.L. and the Dodgers finishing last in the N.L. but being put in the world series because they are most popular???
made up rankings arent tourneys.

baseball is setup with teams playing eachother mutiple times and math dictacting who goes in play offs and than atourney to decide.

ufc is not setup this way. so you cant compare them. if ufc was setup that way and they pulled this shit i wouldnt like it.

made up rankings arent tourneys.

baseball is setup with teams playing eachother mutiple times and math dictacting who goes in play offs and than atourney to decide.

ufc is not setup this way. so you cant compare them. if ufc was setup that way and they pulled this shit i wouldnt like it.
They do not have a specific
set of criteria for the rankings but there are some "Rules" they have always gone by in the past. Fighters who lose do not rise in the rankings. Fighters who are the #1 contender get title shots. They used to book Title Eliminators and the winner got the next title fight. Now they book fighter X who is a draw vs someone they don't expect to win and fighter X gets a title fight with a win but if the opponent wins they will find something else.

They do not have a specific
set of criteria for the rankings but there are some "Rules" they have always gone by in the past. Fighters who lose do not rise in the rankings. Fighters who are the #1 contender get title shots. They used to book Title Eliminators and the winner got the next title fight. Now they book fighter X who is a draw vs someone they don't expect to win and fighter X gets a title fight with a win but if the opponent wins they will find something else.
I dunno if they have gone by all these rules in the past i could probably look up examples for each.

anyways i kinda side with the ufc they have to match up fighters with timelines/injures. so things dont always work out the way ppl want.

for me personally i always like close and interesting matchups. so whoever is most dangerous to the crown.

He's missed weight 2 out of his last three fights...
Illinois state athletic commission screwed him. And the Yoel can't make weight shit was bs Israel propaganda he pedaled whenever he called him out.

Illinois state athletic commission screwed him. And the Yoel can't make weight shit was bs Israel propaganda he pedaled whenever he called him out.
Was that the only time he missed weight? Answer is No. There is missing weight and then there is missing weight for a title fight. That is perhaps the biggest SIN in MMA for a fighter. He has been booked for 3 title fights in the MW division and missed weight for 2 of them. Its not propaganda when it is true.

Was that the only time he missed weight? Answer is No. There is missing weight and then there is missing weight for a title fight. That is perhaps the biggest SIN in MMA for a fighter. He has been booked for 3 title fights in the MW division and missed weight for 2 of them. Its not propaganda when it is true.
The other one was short notice. Three weeks is forgivable. And you didn't bother addressing the Illinois thing. You okay with fighters getting fucked by state commissions? Should we hold it against romero that he wasn't given the extra two hours he was entitled to?

For the record I hate weight fails but at least he tried and the fights weren't canceled either. It's a huge sin to miss weight but at least he didn't cheat to make weight like DC.

For the record I hate weight fails but at least he tried and the fights weren't canceled either. It's a huge sin to miss weight but at least he didn't cheat to make weight like DC.
I hate weight cutting all together but that's another topic.

Yoel getting "Screwed" by the commission isn't something I was aware of at all. If I am to understand correctly he was entitled to an extra 2 hours after failing to make weight. But he FAILED to make weight. He pushed the limits and after missing weight for a title fight he was just in he was lucky to even be booked in a title fight at all.

Here is his history:
Yoel is booked for a MW title fight at UFC 213 July 8th, 2017. Makes weight and loses a UD.

His next fight is a title fight at UFC 221 Feb 11th, 2018. He was already booked to fight David Branch Feb 24th and was moved into an Interim Title fight vs Luke. This change was not last minute as it was Jan 13th that it was announced and he would have already been in camp. He missed weight by 2.2 lbs for a title fight and he wins. Of course it was no longer a title fight as Yoel wasn't eligible for the Interim Title but was still rewarded in his next fight with a title shot.

He was booked into a match up with Whittaker at UFC 225 on June 9th, 2018. He had 4 months between his win over Luke and this fight to make sure he made weight. He weighed in at 186 lbs and made it to 185.2 after being given 2 hours to make the weight but was stopped after 1 hour for Medical reasons.

If Yoel had worked on making himself a MW fighter who can easily make the weight it wouldn't be a concern. He had to be helped off of the scale and was seen wincing in pain. That isn't safe and this was his 3rd title fight and he missed in his last one by 2.2 lbs. Maybe he should have taken making weight more seriously and not pushed it to the limits.

He had 3 chances and is now being given a 4th. Kind of crazy IMO.

I hate weight cutting all together but that's another topic.

Yoel getting "Screwed" by the commission isn't something I was aware of at all. If I am to understand correctly he was entitled to an extra 2 hours after failing to make weight. But he FAILED to make weight. He pushed the limits and after missing weight for a title fight he was just in he was lucky to even be booked in a title fight at all.

Here is his history:
Yoel is booked for a MW title fight at UFC 213 July 8th, 2017. Makes weight and loses a UD.

His next fight is a title fight at UFC 221 Feb 11th, 2018. He was already booked to fight David Branch Feb 24th and was moved into an Interim Title fight vs Luke. This change was not last minute as it was Jan 13th that it was announced and he would have already been in camp. He missed weight by 2.2 lbs for a title fight and he wins. Of course it was no longer a title fight as Yoel wasn't eligible for the Interim Title but was still rewarded in his next fight with a title shot.

He was booked into a match up with Whittaker at UFC 225 on June 9th, 2018. He had 4 months between his win over Luke and this fight to make sure he made weight. He weighed in at 186 lbs and made it to 185.2 after being given 2 hours to make the weight but was stopped after 1 hour for Medical reasons.

If Yoel had worked on making himself a MW fighter who can easily make the weight it wouldn't be a concern. He had to be helped off of the scale and was seen wincing in pain. That isn't safe and this was his 3rd title fight and he missed in his last one by 2.2 lbs. Maybe he should have taken making weight more seriously and not pushed it to the limits.

He had 3 chances and is now being given a 4th. Kind of crazy IMO.
He's a repeat offender. And he should lose weight to make the cut easier. But imo you can't ignore the context surrounding his botches. He's not... Kelvin gastelum, who fails without any valid excuses. Just wanna see the fight, regardless. They already got rid off izzy's hardest match-ups by shipping them off to lhw, this is our last chance of getting to see how he does against a freestyle wrestler with power.

Back