anyone remember this takedown vid on youtube?

What's weird is that most of the bullshido in things like Kung Fu were probably legit grappling at one time, until it became distorted and perverted through the years.

The guy that runs the club I train at was talking about it (he did lots of Chinese arts before he realized he was learning BS then decided to go and do wrestling and BJJ).

For example, we were talking about the mantis hand in kung fu.
220px-Mantis_fist_comparison.JPG

More realistically than how various "Mantis styles" of kung fu use this would probably be if we look at the grip in say a tight under hook, reaching up to the deltoid. Or a proper grip on a single collar tie.

collar ties are quite common in mantis, well 7 star at least, alot of the style is based around a almost russian tie/arm drag hybrid.

collar ties are quite common in mantis, well 7 star at least, alot of the style is based around a almost russian tie/arm drag hybrid.

Cool beans. Glad to hear actually. All the mantis I saw was slap fighting pressure point junk. But there are different styles within mantis.

What's weird is that most of the bullshido in things like Kung Fu were probably legit grappling at one time, until it became distorted and perverted through the years.

Actually, most "traditional" styles are fairly recent inventions. A lot of these styles supposedly date back centuries, but part of that is just BS made up a lot more recently (say, 100 years ago) to sell the style.

And up to very recently, any real fight or war would involve weapons, so hand-to-hand combat wouldn't be a big part of training anyway. Which leaves us with spectator sports like wrestling, which *does* have a very, very long history both in China and pretty much everywhere else on the planet.

Actually, most "traditional" styles are fairly recent inventions. A lot of these styles supposedly date back centuries, but part of that is just BS made up a lot more recently (say, 100 years ago) to sell the style.

And up to very recently, any real fight or war would involve weapons, so hand-to-hand combat wouldn't be a big part of training anyway. Which leaves us with spectator sports like wrestling, which *does* have a very, very long history both in China and pretty much everywhere else on the planet.

Exactly. Every culture has developed wrestling, many having no contact with each other.

Cool beans. Glad to hear actually. All the mantis I saw was slap fighting pressure point junk. But there are different styles within mantis.

Unfortunately most of it is! The strategy I was taught was to use back fist type strikes offensively to establish arm or wrist control, which was then used as a temporary striking platform for dirty boxing type stuff, or a base to enter a clinch type position or work for a takedown

I did actually toy with the idea of doing a BJJ positionally styled Mantis clinch striking compendium lol :icon_lol:

mcgkt0.jpg

fvbb60.jpg

Here you go bro. You can thank me later!

:icon_twis

[YT]Odk4lihM2Gs[/YT]

This is the video!!! Thank you so much!!!

Hmmn... it looked a lot more useful the first time I watched it. I wish Judo emphasized learning body mechanics without the weight of your opponent before you added the opponent.

Wiz is a grappling machine, I made a gif of him demonstrating a technique - the guy is lethal!

wizcool-c-demo.gif

Can you do a clip of that double leg defense where she nails him in the armpits with her thumbs several times then runs away? The way she bolts out of frame made me think she was trying to get away from Wiz altogether ("I have shamed myself", etc.)

Back