anyone remember this takedown vid on youtube?

JosephDredd

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
It was a guy showing Chinese takedowns, maybe from shu jiao, and it starts off with him doing moves that look kind of like tai chi... he drops down into a low stance, front leg bent, rear leg extended behind him.

He does a few of these tai chi kata things, looking completely unimpressive, then he suddenly grabs a partner and starts throwing him all over the place with the exact same moves because the guy was secretly practicing bad ass throws and not doing boring tai chi at all.

I thought I bookmarked it, but I can't find it. The way he showed the form in the partnerless movements made it so simple to understand and learn. I really want to try these in the gym. Anyone remember this?

was it a seminar, a homemade instructional or a properly produced instructional? chinese guy? white guy? white lady? I think I have an idea to which one you are refering

was it a seminar, a homemade instructional or a properly produced instructional? chinese guy? white guy? white lady? I think I have an idea to which one you are refering

It was a Chinese guy doing a demonstration in a proper gym. It was just casually recorded by a camcorder, not a professional technique vid. I think it was short, under 5 minutes. *fingers crossed*

Just watch some Judo/Wrestling/Sambo if you want to see good throws and takedowns.

It was a guy showing Chinese takedowns, maybe from shu jiao, and it starts off with him doing moves that look kind of like tai chi... he drops down into a low stance, front leg bent, rear leg extended behind him.

He does a few of these tai chi kata things, looking completely unimpressive, then he suddenly grabs a partner and starts throwing him all over the place with the exact same moves because the guy was secretly practicing bad ass throws and not doing boring tai chi at all.

I thought I bookmarked it, but I can't find it. The way he showed the form in the partnerless movements made it so simple to understand and learn. I really want to try these in the gym. Anyone remember this?

Here you go bro. You can thank me later!

:icon_twis

[YT]Odk4lihM2Gs[/YT]

Was it this one?

I should mention though that actual Shuai Jiao doesn't really have much to do with Tai Chi. Shuai Jiao has its own "forms" that are more like explosive, single-person Judo uchikomi:

And even that is just a drill/warm-up, most of the time in a typical Shuai Jiao class will be spent on two-partner drills or sparring, just like in Judo or BJJ.

I swear Shuai jiao just looks like really crappy judo in really gay clothes.

Am I missing something?

That sounds like every Shujiao demonstration ever

Am I missing something?

It's the most popular combat sport of like a billion people. It's interesting in it's own right, not just if they can beat up all the other throwing sports. I'm sure most sumo wrestlers would get torn the fuck up in the heavyweight division of a world freestyle tournament. Sumo is still cool and interesting to look at.

And frankly crossover between shujiao/judo/sambo/mongolian wrestling is pretty high. People who compete at a high level in one tend to be able to cross over. All jacket wrestling tends to look like all other jacket wrestling.

Am I missing something?

The clothes are very similar to some of the early judo/jujutsu gis worn by people like Yukio Tani or Uenishi. They don't allow for sleeve-based gripfighting so it results in a more clinch-type game and increases the importance of tricep ties, underhooks, and generally taiji-looking stuff.

It may look "crappy" to you but that's because their ruleset is very different. They aren't just going for a clean big throw on the back. In shuai jiao the ideal throw is throwing them cleanly onto the back, yes, but you also should be standing upright afterwards. Importantly, you also score by throwing face-down or even making them touch the ground with a hand or knee (Though not as highly). So there is a huge difference on how to complete throws, what techniques are risky or not, etc. The shuai chiao guys I used to train with sometimes would prefer to throw someone so they landed on their front/side and "tori" was still standing upright, whereas a judo guy would in most cases happily trade ending in an upright position for putting uke flat on his back. Different priorities.

The matches are also not decided by one ippon, so that again changes things.

The athleticism and skill is obviously not going to be as high as international level judo but that doesn't mean it's crappy, any more than BJJ is "crappy" newaza by judo standards because they take way too long to make anything happen (as my german sensei likes to tell me). Different goals, different rules.

What's weird is that most of the bullshido in things like Kung Fu were probably legit grappling at one time, until it became distorted and perverted through the years.

The guy that runs the club I train at was talking about it (he did lots of Chinese arts before he realized he was learning BS then decided to go and do wrestling and BJJ).

For example, we were talking about the mantis hand in kung fu.
220px-Mantis_fist_comparison.JPG

More realistically than how various "Mantis styles" of kung fu use this would probably be if we look at the grip in say a tight under hook, reaching up to the deltoid. Or a proper grip on a single collar tie.

single-necktie.jpg

underhook3.jpg

praying-mantis.jpg

But instead it became some weak striking/pressure point etc thing it seems. Or "crappling" at best.

What's weird is that most of the bullshido in things like Kung Fu were probably legit grappling at one time, until it became distorted and perverted through the years.

The guy that runs the club I train at was talking about it (he did lots of Chinese arts before he realized he was learning BS then decided to go and do wrestling and BJJ).

For example, we were talking about the mantis hand in kung fu.
220px-Mantis_fist_comparison.JPG

More realistically than how various "Mantis styles" of kung fu use this would probably be if we look at the grip in say a tight under hook, reaching up to the deltoid. Or a proper grip on a single collar tie.

single-necktie.jpg

underhook3.jpg

praying-mantis.jpg

But instead it became some weak striking/pressure point etc thing it seems. Or "crappling" at best.

That's actually pretty interesting and a cool theory. Would be cool if we found out back in the day Kung fu guys were doing a version of judo or dirty boxing and now mantis style is just a weak ass attempt of what they used to do.

That's actually pretty interesting and a cool theory. Would be cool if we found out back in the day Kung fu guys were doing a version of judo or dirty boxing and now mantis style is just a weak ass attempt of what they used to do.

I don't doubt it at all.

Given that the the rules format for cross-style sparring emphasized standup grappling, that wouldn't be too crazy.

Back