Anyone purchase Marcos Avellans 'Black belt psychology'?

Marcos Avellan is neither a certified sports psychologist, nor a world class black belt competitor for that matter, so I'm not sure I'd value his opinion on the subject.

This! Plus his comments on here about how much money he makes combined with comments to Kennan's sister and Palhares make me dislike him greatly.

That too. As a said before, it is a ridiculous product to begin with... but then when you consider the source, it goes from ridiculous to absurd.

Even if the set was authored by the greatest sports psychologist ever, it would never ever be worth $200. It would be a $9 book on Amazon. Why is this a DVD anyway? It sounds like it is basically an ebook on DVD.

This. You can't charge 197 bucks for an ebook or an audiobook. So he made it a DVD. And you can't charge 197 bucks for a single DVD, so he strings it out over multiple DVDs.

I read one of his combat psychology articles. If I wasn't on my phone I'd link to it. It was terrible. Opinions stated as facts. No sources cited except Ltd Grossman's On Killing, which itself has been proven to be based on dubious sources.

While ordinarily I might agree with you, when it comes to evaluating "useful" (as opposed to analytical/empirical) psychology, there is pretty good reason not to separate the speaker and the spoken.

It would seem that black belt psychology is, in its essence, Amway psychology.

I disagree. Throughout my years wrestling, I was constantly going against top 5 guys in the USA daily and top 5 guys in the world frequently. There is a ton of psychology that goes on at that level. The best advice and strategies I got (that were not figured out on my own) were from people who were non psychologists, werent great athletes, or were completely outside the wrestling world.

I disagree. Throughout my years wrestling, I was constantly going against top 5 guys in the USA daily and top 5 guys in the world frequently. There is a ton of psychology that goes on at that level. The best advice and strategies I got (that were not figured out on my own) were from people who were non psychologists, werent great athletes, or were completely outside the wrestling world.

I don't doubt your experience, but anecdotes are basically worthless when evaluating effectiveness here. Also, since Avellan is not outside the sport, he doesn't fit your profile of the ideal advice giver any way. The point is... what you experienced really has no bearing on anything.

If you throw enough shit against a wall, some of it will stick. I am sure if enough people saw Avellan's DVD, someone would benefit. But that is not really the question... the people on this forum are debating whether it is a worthwhile product objectively. None of us has seen it, and I suspect none of us ever will... but that doesn't mean we can't comment on the source and product itself.

Yeah, but were they somebody you couldn't respect as a person? That was my point.

Will never support Avellan. I feel like this thread was made to see us react in this fashion

But but but, GUYS ... we're all privileged to have them here. We don't want to scare them away ...

I'd rather drink piss than give one cent to Avellan

I'd rather drink piss than give one cent to Avellan

I'd rather buy you piss to drink, than give one cent to Avellan.

Of course, I'd really rather throw the piss at Avellan and then we could go have a beer.

Of course, I'd really rather throw the piss at Avellan and then we could go have a beer.

I would let you guys drink piss and donate money to charity of your choosing.

I prefer your idea

He doesn't deserve our money or respect. All he deserves is to be constantly reminded that as long as he's still sucking on Lloyd Irvin's ballsack he will forever be seen by any reasonable members of the jiu-jitsu community as a scumbag.

This thread brought much needed levity to the f12.

Marcos Avellan? Shit, piss, and ballsacks!

:icon_lol:

I don't doubt your experience, but anecdotes are basically worthless when evaluating effectiveness here. Also, since Avellan is not outside the sport, he doesn't fit your profile of the ideal advice giver any way. The point is... what you experienced really has no bearing on anything.

If you throw enough shit against a wall, some of it will stick. I am sure if enough people saw Avellan's DVD, someone would benefit. But that is not really the question... the people on this forum are debating whether it is a worthwhile product objectively. None of us has seen it, and I suspect none of us ever will... but that doesn't mean we can't comment on the source and product itself.

My point was that it could be good advice, even though some people said it wasnt because "he isnt a psychologist" and "he isnt a very good black belt."

That being said, I agree 100% that it isnt a product worth the money, both for content and price.

Back