Anyone purchase Marcos Avellans 'Black belt psychology'?

Was the Kimura Trap that bad or something? I guess I was under the rock.

lol. Even if Marcos wasn't a TLI Zombie idiot, this would be a worthless product. I mean, what is this random guy going to teach you about competition psychology that you can't get somewhere else from a better source for much less money? Seriously, this product is fucking ridiculous, all TLI stuff aside.

I have to agree with this. TLI stuff aside, I think Marcos has made some good posts on here about the mental aspect of BJJ and competition, and there's probably plenty of good common sense information in the DVDs, but really, $197 for a 9 DVD set on psychology? I think you would have to be a wreck mentally to want to buy this.

No way worth it.

Serious question: couldn't one get REAL sports psychology help from actual psychologists for close (or less) than that amount? I mean, nothing against this guy's product, but psychology is not something that is just one-sided with no input from the consumer; the person receiving help is supposed to be able to ask a question (or ten). I know there is an outfit that does an online subscription where you can ask questions or have virtual facetime or some shit like that. Don't think it costs 200$. - E

Was the Kimura Trap that bad or something? I guess I was under the rock.

No, the reviews I read on Kimura Trap have been pretty good, but nothing revolutionary. Basically, it is s decent set but most people are saying not worth the $200 price for info that could have been on 1 DVD (it wasn't, for marketing reasons though).

The backlash you are seeing here is because Marcos has shown some pretty questionable judgment (basically coming off as a brainwashed scum bag) in the wake of the Lloyd Irvin rape scandal. Then when combined with all his ridiculous posts bragging like an AMWAY rep... the whole picture is adding up to reveal he is not very trustworthy or admirable in the psychology department.

Also, Kimura Trap was David Avellan's set, not Marcos'.

Generally a kimura works well, based on empirical evidence, while self-help psychobabble does not. That's a big difference.

No, the reviews I read on Kimura Trap have been pretty good, but nothing revolutionary. Basically, it is s decent set but most people are saying not worth the $200 price for info that could have been on 1 DVD (it wasn't, for marketing reasons though).

The backlash you are seeing here is because Marcos has shown some pretty questionable judgment (basically coming off as a brainwashed scum bag) in the wake of the Lloyd Irvin rape scandal. Then when combined with all his ridiculous posts bragging like an AMWAY rep... the whole picture is adding up to reveal he is not very trustworthy or admirable in the psychology department.

Also, Kimura Trap was David Avellan's set, not Marcos'.

Regardless of his lack of tact in the rape scandal, I would never, ever pay 200 dollars for some pop psychology dvd set.

Regardless of his lack of tact in the rape scandal, I would never, ever pay 200 dollars for some pop psychology dvd set.

That too. As a said before, it is a ridiculous product to begin with... but then when you consider the source, it goes from ridiculous to absurd.

Even if the set was authored by the greatest sports psychologist ever, it would never ever be worth $200. It would be a $9 book on Amazon. Why is this a DVD anyway? It sounds like it is basically an ebook on DVD.

I'd be as likely to buy a book on engineering or neurology from him as he is equally trained in those areas as he is psychology. To pay $200 to have someone quote Outliers and a few other books back to me is far from psychology.

Call it bad sports psychology, but I wouldn't buy this even if it was guaranteed to turn me into a grappling god. Integrity is worth more to me than winning.

Call it bad sports psychology, but I wouldn't buy this even if it was guaranteed to turn me into a grappling god. Integrity is worth more to me than winning.

Respect

My game has benefited from several of Marcos Avellan's techniques. However, I do not usually enjoy his "psychological" writings.

Last edited by a moderator:
Something tells me this won't be a hit.

How long is each dvd? 25 mins or something I bet.

i love this thread and i love each and every one of you.

do the mods not delete his threads for blatant advertising to see how many times he pity-bumps them? i like to pretend they do.

Marcos Avellan is neither a certified sports psychologist, nor a world class black belt competitor for that matter, so I'm not sure I'd value his opinion on the subject.

Also, there's a reason you actually speak and communicate with psychologists, rather than watch a pre-packaged, one size fits all DVD.

TS, I would put more stock in the advice coming from people who have actually seen it rather than those who are merely commenting on Mr. Avellon's character.

If the information in the DVD's is valid and well presented, it shouldnt matter who is putting it out there. That being said, I believe 2 things: You cannot learn the psychology of competing from a DVD, and $200 for a DVD set is way too much.

TS, I would put more stock in the advice coming from people who have actually seen it rather than those who are merely commenting on Mr. Avellon's character.

If the information in the DVD's is valid and well presented, it shouldnt matter who is putting it out there. That being said, I believe 2 things: You cannot learn the psychology of competing from a DVD, and $200 for a DVD set is way too much.

While ordinarily I might agree with you, when it comes to evaluating "useful" (as opposed to analytical/empirical) psychology, there is pretty good reason not to separate the speaker and the spoken.

It would seem that black belt psychology is, in its essence, Amway psychology.

Back