Anyone on the right believe in climate change here?

Everything has an effect on everything. Fracking probably has some negative affects and some positive ones.

Trying not to let my Moore quip distract you, can you elaborate on the positive environmental effects of fracking? Or burning fossil fuels?

You know beef/cows are a major source of climate change?

I only mention it because they usually get skipped in these conversations in favor of oil/petroleum, but they actually constitute ~20% of "greenhouse gases" globally.

They are also the primary cause of deforestation in the world today.

Not nearly as popular a topic for the press, for some reason.

You know beef/cows are a major source of climate change?

I only mention it because they usually get skipped in these conversations in favor of oil/petroleum, but they actually constitute ~20% of "greenhouse gases" globally.

They are also the primary cause of deforestation in the world today.

Not nearly as popular a topic for the press, for some reason.

Pet dogs are a heavy source too.

Or conversely does anyone on the left on this board believe it's a hoax?

I can't believe how this is a partisan issue when it's simple science.

The right leaves a bad taste in a lot of potential members with its denial of proven science based on politics

The right has a glut of anti-intellectual dogma mucking up the works. If you went to a university and did that book lernin', you might as well have been sucking Stalin's dick. Higher education is a liberal conspiracy to indoctrinate the youth apparently.

No one on the right denies the climate is changing. They only deny that the main reason is anthropogenic. Big difference.

Of course there's climate change; simply look at tables of mean global temperature and it's prima facie. Now, what has driven that change is a much more complicated issue.

It's complicated, but not so complicated that it wasn't scientifically known 40 years ago that human activity would change climate significantly, if not altered.

https://www.google.com/#q=oil+memo+global+warming
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/exxon-knew-about-climate-change-almost-40-years-ago/
They found that [Exxon's] knowledge of climate change dates back to July 1977, when its senior scientist James Black delivered a sobering message on the topic. “In the first place, there is general scientific agreement that the most likely manner in which mankind is influencing the global climate is through carbon dioxide release from the burning of fossil fuels," Black told Exxon’s management committee. A year later he warned Exxon that doubling CO2 gases in the atmosphere would increase average global temperatures by two or three degrees—a number that is consistent with the scientific consensus today

This knowledge did not prevent the company (now ExxonMobil and the world’s largest oil and gas company) from spending decades refusing to publicly acknowledge climate change and even promoting climate misinformation—an approach many have likened to the lies spread by the tobacco industry regarding the health risks of smoking. Both industries were conscious that their products wouldn’t stay profitable once the world understood the risks, so much so that they used the same consultants to develop strategies on how to communicate with the public.

The climate change movement is a marxist globalist movement to tax and hurt the west. It somehow plays into the new world order.

I also know that climate change/global warming science lies about their data to get what they want.

No one on the right denies the climate is changing. They only deny that the main reason is anthropogenic. Big difference.

Of course there's climate change; simply look at tables of mean global temperature and it's prima facie. Now, what has driven that change is a much more complicated issue.

I guess that depends on your definition of "pollution." If you mean should d-bags stop throwing their beer cans and used condoms on the sidewalk, sure, because it's a social nuisance. If you mean should factories not dump their toxic waste in our waterways, then yeah, because it's a direct threat to human health. If you define it as adjusting driving behavior, industrialization, and things like that which produce greenhouses gases or something like that, no, probably not.

There it is in all its glory.

The right "believes" in climate change. They just don't "believe" in the natural science that explains said climate change. Because those facts undermines the corporate interests of the fossil fuel industry (and to a lesser extend the agriculture industry), and the interests of those is more important to right wingers than the planet.
Of course the right wing intellectuals, and probably even most elected officials, knows what's up, but most of them are corrupt as all hell. The G.O.P in the U.S is obviously bought and paid for, they don't even hide it anymore, e.g. the infamous:
31013.jpg

https://www.opensecrets.org/politicians/summary.php?cid=N00005582

And of course the pseudoscience that these hacks continue to cite is equally corrupt:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_change_denial#Private_sector
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2006/sep/20/oilandpetrol.business
https://www.theguardian.com/environ...still-bankrolling-climate-denial-lobby-groups

Why your average rigt wing joe is so balls deep in this pathetic corporate propaganda is beyond me though. I have no idea what they are gaining by it, it's not even clever propaganda. It's easily refuted by everyone with even an elementary understanding of science.
I had no idea that this need to rise up against "intellectuals" and/or the "liberal elite", or whatever the fuck the populist right wingers are about these days, would actually provide a stronger incentive than the need for survival.

Here's a good website to link to any right wing anti-science hack btw:
https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

I brought this up in other threads but it's appropriate here:

The fundamental requirement to call any theory "science", is a standard of falsifiability.

The theory of relativity can be articulated in a few sentences. The falsifiable standard for the theory of relativity can also be articulated in a few sentences.

No advocate of man-made climate change theory has ever articulated a falsifiable standard for this theory. If advocates for the theory are unable or unwilling to articulate a falsifiable standard for their own theory, then we're no longer dealing with science, but Dogma.

On another note, climate models are not science. The models are only as good as the data that's being put into them. The climate models have also failed to predict anything of any value. We're in our 19th year of no global warming, even though the climate models predicted we would be. For 19 years the real world temperatures have steadfastly refused to follow the climate model predictions.

The very survival of the current human population relies on the conversion of fuel to energy. The wind doesn't always blow, and the sun doesn't always shine, but our need for energy remains constant. If the man-made climate change advocates get their way and are able to curb fuel consumption in a significant way, tens of millions of people will die. Without energy and development, areas of the world will not get access to the foods they need, the medicines they need, the water they need or life-saving Healthcare. Without readily available energy undeveloped areas will never become developed.

This is the problem with man-made climate change theory. The problem is unproven, the solution would cut down industry, lead to the deaths of tens of millions, and hand over taxpayer money and regulatory power to the same bureaucrats and "scientists" who are trying to sell you on the idea that there is a problem in the first place.

it was much colder during the ice age and it was much hotter during the Middle Ages according to scientists… The leftists in King Arthur's Administration probably blamed it on blacksmiths and horse farts.

Even if man is causing the oceans to rise a fraction of a centimeter per year, we could all go back to horse and buggy, yet China is going to continue expanding with 21 million cars sold there last year alone. So all this "end fracking and fossil fuels" business is nonsense.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news for the liberals, but when you drill for oil in the Middle East instead of the US, that doesn't change the amount of carbon emissions the world.

There aren't many people who deny the climate changes. The issue is whether more gov't control and extra taxes will fix it.

Have you missed the daily "it's cold today, climate change lol" posts on every news story from major outlets that aren't left-leaning?

But seriously speaking, this is a HUGE problem and all humanity needs to wake up for this.

Never in human history has the CO2 levels been this high and they continue to rise at an alarming rate.

http://climate.nasa.gov/climate_resources/24/

24_co2-graph-021116-768px.jpg

I implore everyone to watch the Cosmos series (can be found on Netflix) or at least this episode.

Last edited:
I dream of a better world where a chicken can cross the road WITHOUT having their motives questioned by some corporate fat-cat looking to turn them into a $1.49 nugget meal.

hippies.jpg

I can readily affirm from my daily experience that the state of the climate changes constantly.

As for man made global warming... I haven't seen good evidence for it and have seen enough bullshit about it to not care anymore.

LOL thread is already a goddamn trainwreck of stupid. Popcorn mode engaged.

We should pay close attention to the environment, regardless of whether you're a big believer in climate change or not. The idolization of over-the-top materialism needs to be put to an end. People need to start living for ideas once again, not the material. This is the only way to ensure our continued existence, without going down as essentially a species of planetary cancer.

100% on board with climate change being real and in part due to mankind. I attribute fossil fuels, over grazing, and rain forest destruction as major contributors to the acceleration of Global Warming. We think immigration is bad now, just wait until the sea levels rise.

Every political quiz I've ever taken places me as a social liberal/fiscal libertarian. So naturally, on Sherdog I'm a hard right fascist. I believe in climate change.

Earth's climate is constantly changing and always has been. What I disagree with is the idea that humans need to change their behavior to stop climate change. You can't stop climate change. It's typical human arrogance to think we can.

Yeah, this illustrates that it's climate science in general that is denied more than just climate change.

Back