Anyone notice how Chael is wrong about nearly everything?

Armitage Shanks

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I started to notice it at UFC 194. He said Aldo would beat McGregor and it wouldn't be close, and Weidman would beat Rockhold easily. And the stuff he said about Holly Holm (there's loads of stuff but I can't be arsed to type it all up). I used to eat his shit up because, after all, he's a guy who fought and trained at a high level, but trawling back over his predications and contradictions over the years I actually realised he's making it all up on the spot, more often than not giving bad advice and making bad predictions. He says shit that is compelling, because it goes against received wisdom "game plans are a myth, when you get in there it's just 2 men fighting and it goes out of the window"...well, for you maybe, but tell that to GSP and Fariz Zahabi. "Supplements DO NOT WORK"... Yet he takes supplements himself?

I know the idea of Chael Sonnen saying absolutely anything to get people's attention isn't exactly breaking news, but I always thought of him in that way as a fighter, not when it came to analysis. But he is a really bad MMA 'mind'. Nowhere near Rogan or Shaub or Rutten or some of the other dudes. Whatever he says, the opposite is usually true.

How dare you blasphemise Lord Chael, you lowly peon!

When Chael throws a dog a bone, he doesn't want to know if it tastes nice

Is he the new Nam Phan?

I like it when Chael talks, it's soothing and harmless, like ocean sounds

I started to notice it at UFC 194. He said Aldo would beat McGregor and it wouldn't be close, and Weidman would beat Rockhold easily. And the stuff he said about Holly Holm (there's loads of stuff but I can't be arsed to type it all up). I used to eat his shit up because, after all, he's a guy who fought and trained at a high level, but trawling back over his predications and contradictions over the years I actually realised he's making it all up on the spot, more often than not giving bad advice and making bad predictions. He says shit that is compelling, because it goes against received wisdom "game plans are a myth, when you get in there it's just 2 men fighting and it goes out of the window"...well, for you maybe, but tell that to GSP and Fariz Zahabi. "Supplements DO NOT WORK"... Yet he takes supplements himself?

I know the idea of Chael Sonnen saying absolutely anything to get people's attention isn't exactly breaking news, but I always thought of him in that way as a fighter, not when it came to analysis. But he is a really bad MMA 'mind'. Nowhere near Rogan or Shaub or Rutten or some of the other dudes. Whatever he says, the opposite is usually true.

Schaub is the worst analyst of all time.

Chael likes to play Devil's advocate a lot.

I like Chael but it's true. Off the top of my head I can think of a couple of examples.

1) As recent as 2 weeks ago he's been saying that Hunt was the #1 contender in the last calendar year, totally not true.

2) Julianna Pena is an undefeated fighter. Again, not true.

3) Hendricks isn't finished. We all know that Hendricks is finished.

you do realize like 80% of what chael says is not his actual opinion right?

If Chael says something and it turns out not to happen, it is the fact itself that turned out to be wrong and not Chael.

He is made for WWE, imagine if Vince was telling him who would win or lose 80% of the time, his insights would seem brilliant.

And the stuff about Fedor being a 'terrible' fighter. Say you don't think he's GOAT, or he was overrated, but - and he kept reiterating it - Fedor is TERRIBLE!? I'm not a Fedor fan boy, but think he'd have raped Sonnen anytime in the last decade.

this isn't anything new. i think he does it on purpose though

in the same event i remember he picked BJ penn over rory mac and nate diaz over benson henderson lmao

give me a minute i'll get some more... i think he does it on purpose because he's ALWAYS wrong and it fits his image of being the 'bad guy'

Anderson-Silva-UFC-117-gi.jpg

He's taking advantage of the short attention span of fans. Puts out an extreme viewpoint one week, then knows that fans will forget how wrong he was and makes another just as extreme point next time a big fight is coming up. He's done this for years. It's his gimmick.

Also does a really good job in being vague enough face to face. Like, "PED's are really medicine, and medicine is always good, but we gotta be real careful here because some medicine is banned. So I took that medicine and am accused a cheater, when I've never tested positive for steroids". Uses E blockers to balance out years of excessive T use, which were far above the legal limit. "But it's T to E levels, so I didn't really brake any rules". Admits to taking an illegal substance before the Silva fight.

Bullshits on and on like a true politician. But it's also fun to listen to.

Back