Anyone make friends with wild animals?

My garden attracts cats and deer (and ants) by the boatload for some reason. I wouldn't say I'm on speaking terms with any of them but I have tried leaving out some bread and apples. They don't seem to eat that shit though. Should probably hit up google sometime to see what I should feed them

If a spider is in a spot where I can't get at him, we have an uneasy truce.

Squirrels are usually tame in public parks and will come up and eat of your hand or climb up on you if they are bold. It's pretty cool.

The weirdest one for me is I found a lizard/skink that lived under my crawlspace. Every time I walked by he would pop his head out and watch. I decided to try to feed him and he ended up eating out of my hand. Every time I would go out I'd see him and feed him.

Pretty odd considering most lizards freak out and run away at the sight of a human.

If a spider is in a spot where I can't get at him, we have an uneasy truce.

Funny shit.

Anyway about the bear. Leave it the fuck alone. It will either eat someone or get shot trying due to your "friendship"

it's gay but theres a blackbird that lives in some bushes just outside my front door at work, there's a patch of grass on a hill and he patrols it looking for worms. Me and the woman i work with have been feeding him leftover bread and seed for about 4 years now. He used to run a mile whenever you walked past now he will literally eat out of my hand.

I did the same thing with some sparrows, it was cool. Also with a squirrel.

How close have you got to this bear? Have you actually touched him? If so, who cares if he one day rips your face off, or you end up getting him killed. Being able to wrestle around and play with a bear is totally worth it imo.

We have a groundhog who lives on the property.
I'm building a stone wall and his burrow is next to it. He pokes his head out, if he sees me, zip, right back in the hole. Other times he's out there waddling about the lawn doing his groundhog business. If he see a person he books it home. Quite fast for a rotund beast. We've left him apples and carrots. I'm not sure if he eats those things but that's what we left. I figured he looks like a large version of the guinea pigs we have and thats what she eats.

I recently moved to the mountains of SoCal. Ive lived my life about 50 miles away in the city but I had to make this temporary move and will be back down there in 3 weeks.

I became friends with a bear(not a large gay man). I get home at 1am and I see him about once a week just walking around looking for food. He is about 200-250 lbs so not huge. I have got to the point to where I bring him left overs from work and we will chill for a little bit while he eats it. Then when I walk inside my house he wants to follow and I feel bad for shutting the door on him.

I also had a king snake that I caught in my house 20 years ago. Every summer I would see him and capture him for about a week at a time before I would release him back into my yard. This snake was cool as hell and went from a baby to around 5 feet last time I saw him. He never bit me once.

So do you guys have any wild animal friends out there?

Legit lol with that one.

Come on son.

I thought everybody knew not to feed wild animals. Especially things like bears.

Stop it mang.

Jesus Christ. Feeding the bear or getting any wild predator acclimated to humans is such a bad idea it's not even funny. It's illegal most places to feed animals like bears because its such a bad idea. That bear needs to be chased away from your house because its eventually going to break in and fuck your shit up something fierce. Or it's going to approach someone else looking for a handout and there's going to be a problem. Don't do it plain and simple

As for birds please do not feed them bread. It's really not good for them at all.
Yea from your advice I will stop. I actually love your threads and know you know your shit. The bear is actually well known around my town and never has shown aggression but that doesnt mean he never will. As for the birds I usually buy huge bags of peanuts which they hide right away and then throw out different mixtures of grain and seed which they eat at the moment. Its funny seeing them shake the peanut shells and not taking the ones with only 1 peanut in them.
I think bears are awesome and it's too bad we don't have them in our country, but don't you think your interactions with them might be dangerous?
Absolutely. I just dont really fear animals like most. I will stay my distance when needed but also know Im putting myself in danger when I dont.
How close have you got to this bear? Have you actually touched him? If so, who cares if he one day rips your face off, or you end up getting him killed. Being able to wrestle around and play with a bear is totally worth it imo.
I havent touched him. Ive been within a few feet multiple times though. Actually I did touch his head for a brief moment once a few weeks back. After eating he came up to me like a dog wanting to be pet with his head down. I gave him a quick head pat and walked off. I gotta admit it was a little nerve racking.

Do NOT feed wild animals,every true animal lover will tell you that.

Living next to a Forest i get to see enough wild animals,Foxes & Deer looking for food,Beech Marten sharpening his teeth on my car parts

The bear will become a nuisance bear and will be shot by animal control ... all because of you.:icon_sad:

Back