Anyone know the rules regarding spats/long tights in MMA competition?

Reaction score
I'm planning on having my first MMA fight in about 2 or 3 months and a few of my favorite fighters wear spats/ long tights for their fights. I'm just wondering if there's a rules issue regarding them? I don't see any huge advantage or disadvantage (other than possibly looking foolish, but I could do that wearing any of my other MMA shorts if I get KTFOd anyways) to wearing them. If any has any knowledge about this I figured I'd ask. Also, since this is gear-related I figured I'd ask here.

Hi SoulWound. Is the fight pro or amateur? I think it depends on the promotion. A few of my friends fought in a promotion in Boston and they said their opponent has to agree on it. One of them wasn't allowed to wear knee pads.

Are you thinking of something like Andy Souwer's magical kickboxing pants? Or perhaps Shinya Aoki's rainbow submission pants?

I did see Jason Chambers wearing long pants under his MMA shorts in a fight once so some promotions probably allow it. By the way, it didn't help him any.

I'm not saying it will help me out, just be kind of a funny gimmick type thing if you will. Also, kind of pay homage to some favorite fighters (Satoru Kitaoka and Shinya Aoki, Naoya Uematsu).

It would be an amateur fight. Oh, Timbalanda, rumor is that Unified rules will be hitting Massachusetts soon (knees standing) but that may rule out anything other than MMA shorts.

Thanks for the input and if anyone has any further information that'd be cool. I'll probably have to talk with the promoter before the fight to get an exact idea, because I think it may vary from promotion to promotion in areas that are not under a commission (I.E. Massachusetts.)

i think it depends on the promotion. i think i seen sheron legget wear some kind of weird spandex leggings under his shorts and he had socks on with tapout wristbands on his feet over the socks.

Yea I think it depends on the promotion. My friend fought in Full Force Productions card and I know for a fact that he would have needed his opponents approval (he declined) to wear knee pads. He had a bum knee.

AC and promotion in that order. If there's a athletic commission involved and they say "sod off" there's no chance in Hades you're wearing them

Yeah...Mass doesn't have an AC that rules on MMA just yet, but I think they will very soon, because the big rumor is Mass will be using full Unified Rules (UFC) soon (As it stands, in Mass, it varies from promotion to promotion).

So I guess I'm gonna be wearing my Spec 2s. Never had problems with them, so whatever

Back