Anyone know of this tactic?

Token7

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Deflecting punches, but for modern day boxing.

Seems more from a TMA tactic but very occasionally I will see it in a boxing match and really want to know if this is legit move and if any fighter had a history of doing this successfully?

Some pictures to illustrate what I'm saying,

-short padwork video of canelo hitting the pads and his trainer in the SP stance just threw a jab/hook and had canelo deflect it with his arm then come with his combination. (kind of hard to see I know)

-came across this also showing what I'm saying.

that video isn't playing for me, it just looks like a photo, but do you just mean like a forearm parry?

that video isn't playing for me, it just looks like a photo, but do you just mean like a forearm parry?

It's just a photo I explained it wrong Ill have to edit that but yes a forearm parry you can say. Looking for footage of boxers doing it.

Sure, it's exactly what you say it is and boxers use it all the time. You can use it to 'jam' hooks as well as deflecting straight punches.

If you jab correctly, by bending your knees and folding your right hip, your jab will naturally jam up a right hand that way. In that Melendez-Sanchez fight, Gilbert was just extending his left arm and bending his knees, and since Sanchez didn't have any clue how to work around somebody's defenses, it stopped his right hook damn near every time, while helping Gilbert measure him for his own right hand.

But like I said, you can make that "glance-off" a natural byproduct of your jab if you jab correctly.

And that's where a cross gets its name, for crossing over a jab instead of sliding off like a straight right does.

#TheMoreYouKnow

Mikey Garcia does it a lot. He likes to jam opponents' punches and then counter with the same hand he used to defend.

I know. I just thought it was strange to insinuate that deflecting punches was somehow an alien concept in modern boxing, let alone boxing itself. If anything deflection of punches should have been born from boxing.

A description of the block TS was referring to, in a book that was written in the 1940s.

BookReaderImages.php

Last edited:
I know. I just thought it was strange to insinuate that deflecting punches was somehow an alien concept in modern boxing, let alone boxing itself. If anything deflection of punches should have been born from boxing.

A description of the block TS was referring to, in a book that was written in the 1940s.

BookReaderImages.php

[f11]But look at that posture on the slip![/f11]

TS, as a SP I parry/deflect jabs and come in over the top with a jab of my own all he time. Its a vaguely JKD technique that I've also seen in american kenpo karate, but works great in boxing/MT/mma.

Rabbit, that is a more modern style of defense. That's a basic block. TS is talking about what Dempsey referred to as a "glance-off" wherein you shoot your arm out into the arc of the opponent's punch, jamming it up before it can land. You are blocking their arm rather than their glove, in a sense. I'll try to find a good example.

Rabbit, that is a more modern style of defense. That's a basic block. TS is talking about what Dempsey referred to as a "glance-off" wherein you shoot your arm out into the arc of the opponent's punch, jamming it up before it can land. You are blocking their arm rather than their glove, in a sense. I'll try to find a good example.

Dempsey allegedly would purposely punch guys in the bicep as they threw a punch in order to disrupt the punch and damage the arm

I think TS is describing more of a bent arm parry shown here than a straight..

BookReaderImages.php

In the case of a glance off, it's described as a 'Leverage guard' in the book. As you mentioned, a good jab will misdirect a right hand over the head. Causing the right hand to ride up the path of the jab over the crown of the head.

BookReaderImages.php

Or maybe you're describing the TMA'ish Wing Chun/Kung Fu stop hit to the bicep?..

Dempsey allegedly would purposely punch guys in the bicep as they threw a punch in order to disrupt the punch and damage the arm

BookReaderImages.php

I don't see what you mean by modern style of defense. There wasn't any reinventing of the wheel. The blocks and deflections in boxing have always been a part of it, is my point.

Last edited:
The leverage guard in your example is the right idea, yes. It doesn't have to be a fully extended arm, but the idea is to shoot your hand out inside the punch, misdirecting it or stopping it before it can land.

Footage of it in action.

Token, there are fighters who execute this parry successfully as with any block, if that's what you're asking. It's not some system though like 'Crazy Monkey' defense so it's not going to be easy to note examples of it. Likely used to block one punch out of a couple hundred. It's just a tool like any other that is used when the specific situation calls for it. I recall seeing Pernell Whitaker use it once, although i don't remember when. Hell, if i'm going to go look for it.

I can see where you're getting the TMA aspect from, as they practice and apply these types of parries and blocks in an impractical systematic way. This is why it's hard to find examples of it in boxing. You're not trained to react to a single punch in any one way.

Last edited:
Good examples, man. Especially that last one. He shoots that jab out as a reflex, and because his mechanics are good it stops the punch, though there's obviously a risk with those looping right hands.

And yes, the inside parry in your post is more along the lines of what Canelo is doing. They're both similar techniques to my mind, just executed at different stages.

Yeah, same difference.

Also, in that last example he turns the extended lead into a collar tie, which is something I noted in that Melendez-Sanchez article I wrote (which TS's second example picture is from). Clever way to organically work in some nice holding n' hitting. Especially ballsy against a puncher like Jackson, but maybe McCallum wanted to show him that he could rough him up and didn't respect his athletic abilities.

It's a beautiful move, very easy to drill and put in your toolkit. It's much easier to pull off than a classic parry in live situations.

At the risk of parroting an old thread, Ward employs this too but has a version that jams up either hand (prevent-defense) with a raised shoulder/elbow.

Could you employ the cross in the same way against a southpaw? Imagine that would be a frustrating tit for tat.

Back