Anyone know of or use a free online virtual desktop with Windows or Linux?

TheNinja

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
I'm wondering if such a thing exists. Basically using a web browser (or small client) to log into a free/cheap virtual machine that sits in the cloud. The VM could spin up when you need it. You could surf the web safely. Then when you are done, the machine resets to factory and shuts down until you need it again. Avoid all virus activity and history on your laptop. And safely allows Internet access from the cloud.

I'm wondering if such a thing exists. Basically using a web browser (or small client) to log into a free/cheap virtual machine that sits in the cloud. The VM could spin up when you need it. You could surf the web safely. Then when you are done, the machine resets to factory and shuts down until you need it again. Avoid all virus activity and history on your laptop. And safely allows Internet access from the cloud.

DigitalOcean or Vultr, I've used both extensively. Vultr has OCE servers but DigitalOcean is a bit more feature packed.

You can get a decent little Linux VM for $5 a month. Spin one up with a few clicks, close it whenever, just pay for the time used.

A more powerful system running a full desktop OS you are probably looking at $30 a month or more, and it can be a little tricky to set up proper interactivity if you aren't experienced in this kind of thing.

I have a Linux laptop With encryption software installed for all business related things.

I would strongly suggest getting an actual Linux laptop if you are using tor too. If you’re just wanting one just for regular browsing and you don’t conduct any type of business you wouldn’t want being traced or monitored - there’s no reason, just use a regular laptop and get a good vpn

Back