Anyone Here With Mitral Valve Prolapse?

facedancer

Warning: ***hole
@Silver
Reaction score
I was diagnosed with it years ago. Actually I forgot I even had it until recently. I've been lifting weights since high school but recently I've been reading that people with MVP should avoid weight training.

I've never had any issues with my weight training other than difficulty gaining and a naturally lean physique which is evidently common for those w/ MVP.

Anyhow, I love lifting and I don't want to stop.

Anyone here have experience with this?

talk to a doctor and everything, but i've always heard that it's not a big deal to have abnormalities with the valves leading into the ventricles as long as they let blood through.

My son has bivalve something or other. Basically, where there should be three flaps on one of his valves, he only has two. I forget if it's coming into the heart or going away from. Stay away from trans fats and exercise often is what the doc told him.

I do, so does my mother and my younger brother. He nor I have ever had a single problem w/anything as far as MVP goes. I did have some trouble back in college when ephedra (sp?)was in everything Advocare sold (I took their vitamins) contained it. Other than that, nothing.

I only have a heart murmur of some kind but if you haven't had any problems yet, I wouldn't worry about it.

Most doctors may tell you don't do hard and difficult exercises but only because they want to be careful. If they tell you that you can do it then you get hurt, they open themselves to malpractice. So unless you talk to your doc and tell him/her that you want the straight truth, they probably went with the safest option.

I do, so does my mother and my younger brother. He nor I have ever had a single problem w/anything as far as MVP goes. I did have some trouble back in college when ephedra (sp?)was in everything Advocare sold (I took their vitamins) contained it. Other than that, nothing.

Thanks. I think I'm going to just stay clear of caffein and energy drinks/tablets and work out as i always have. If something goes wrong, at least I'll look good in the coffin.

I have a bicuspid aortic valve. While a leaking mitral valve is a slightly different problem the greatest concerns are probably the same: atrophy and dilation of the chamber leading to it (the right atrium in this case). I an echo cardiogram once a year to monitor mine and for the last two years the condition of my left ventricle has improved marginally and I've been on a heavy lifting regimen most of that time. Heavy lifting will cause the walls of the heart to hypertrophy and resist dilation, which is a good thing, however the increased blood pressure that comes with during the lift can be hazardous. I've largely ignored the doctors concerns as being meant for out of shape people twice my age, but it is something to consider.

If it really concerns you ask your cardiologist about it. In the meantime, I'm my own science project and will continue to lift heavy and monitor my condition's progress.

wouldn't the left ventricle lead to the aortic valve? from what i know, an oddity with the (leading out of the) ventricular valves is much more cereal, especially in the aorta because the left side is so high pressure.

You're right jsn, I got my left and right confused for a second looking at anotomical diagrams.

ah coo', just wondering because sometimes the pressures can be a little counterintuitive. do you exhale on your heavy lifts? i think i read somewhere that holding your breath leads to higher blood pressure during the lift, but i know a lot of guys do it because they feel like they can maintain position better.

My younger brother has a prolapsed mitral valve and had open heart surgery a few years ago to try to repair it. I guess the only thing I could add that hasn't been said is: Your heart will not be working as efficiently as someone without the condition, as it has to contend with a backflow of blood. Your heart will be hypertrophied already as it has to work harder to sustain normal circulation. Do what you enjoy, but don't push yourself too hard.

Back