Anyone here used jiu jitsu for self defense?

Struggling to work out which of these stories isn't actually a load of bullshit!

Never had to use it in a fight... i haven't fought since i started training in bjj. Though some of my teamates and student's mostly the ones working as police officers or similar jobs have used headlocks and chokes in order to avoid using their guns or police bats to submit the ones they tried to arrest...

I've been in a few street fights as a teen but none as an adult when I started BJJ. I wish I new BJJ back then because having your knuckles battered and swollen afterwards sucks more than getting punched in the face.

L

Last street fight I had. I was on the PD.

Kid was all coked up or on crack as it took 4 cop's to cuff this kid. We get the kid in the cells, take off the cuffs and the kid was lucky to weigh 160 lbs.

I couldn't believe how small he was. Being on drugs the kid was an animal trying to bring him in.

long story short:

Got jumped, it was 5v1, I got punched in the face, grabbed one guy in a thai clinch (which I learned in bjj strangely enough) and spun him into his buddies then ran away at full speed. It all took about five seconds, during which time I got stabbed twice, and the guy I thai clinched and used as a human shield got stabbed once (saw him at the hospital later)

So yeah without bjj and my human shield tactics I would have taken one straight to the chest and probably would not be around today.

that is brutal, did you know they had knives? most people who get stabbed don't even realize the opponent is armed until after being stabbed.

that is brutal, did you know they had knives? most people who get stabbed don't even realize the opponent is armed until after being stabbed.

true, tho i never been stabbed, i got cut twice in a street fight, blood pouring from my face, both cuts right above my eyes... 1 real close, the other an inch away from my eyes, didn;t notice being cut till the blood was running, and even then didn't feel it... adrenaline rocks :D

i use bjj in every fight i get in, which is a fair amount. i think guys have it out for me because im so skinny, and im really loud? im genuinely very nice but attract negative attention for some reaosn. ive collar choked people with their coats, rnc more times than i can count, triangled my neighbor when he got aggressive with my moms boyfriend etc. and i usually end up sitting to guard, which definetly puts the "you cant use bjj off the mats" argument to rest. i think its against sherdog rules to post videos of streetfights and stuff on the site but if you look at my blog (sig) theres pictures and a video (like the last 15 or 20 seconds) of my choking some guy out. the funny part was i didnt realize it was being recorded and all my friends ran in at the end and posed for a picture while he was passing out haha.

Grappling in SELF defense? nope

RNC-ing a drunk buddy to calm him down...once or twice...

Here's a story to show how "honorable" people are these days *cough cough* *chokes on tic tac*
Person A is minding his own business at a party and person B tags along, person C who's half of A's height starts shit with person A, Person A challenges C to take it outside, C walks away and comes back with People (i'm not exagerating) D-Z to crowd up on A. Person B stands behind the crowd pretending to be an innocent bystander getting ready to RNC em (one by one..) when someone throws the first punch, but luckily for person A, all it ends up in is a shoving contest before bouncers break it up.
I was B:icon_twis

the thing that made the most sense that night (sarcasm) was that after the party, people C-Z try to chase down person A with C screaming "Come back you pussy!"

just realized i didnt have my signature on before haha

I do osoto-gares on people at school all the time, other than that no, not really.

I've been in a few street fights as a teen but none as an adult when I started BJJ. I wish I new BJJ back then because having your knuckles battered and swollen afterwards sucks more than getting punched in the face.

A Darwin award for you my friend...

got jumped, basically a guy ran up on me and hit me; then slammed me down and proceeded to beat the ish out of me, i ended up tying him up in my guard and then proceeded to bridge up..get him over.

he posted his arm to keep from being put on his back, i snuck behind him and choked him out.

not really bjj but grappling

most of the time i like to throw hands and use grappling to keep from being taken down or clinched up; mostly i play def and just counter (potshot) lead rights, jab/right hand until the guy gets frustrated and tired of chasing me. Most people have no footwork and u can pick them apart from the outside, the grappling helps when they try to muscle u in a clinch or get u down; i can def and resume potshotting or get a sub

an honestly in a street fight i have never broken or bruised my hands, then again im judicious w/my punching

Have you ever seen a smaller guy bully and attack a bigger guy? Have you ever seen an unarmed guy attacks a guy with a machine gun? Have you ever seen a smaller fish eat a big fish?

small guys bully all the time, they think all us fatsos are out of shape that only carry around fat:icon_chee

Mostp people avoid messing with me all together but you'd be damn sure that if a smallish dude (small for me would be -200pounds) don't stear away from a fight then they know what to do.

still never knocked out or down in da streets, bullrush into takedown every time

Do you hear that? That's the sound of the joke going completely over your head. I left out the homo part intentionally to imply that we're homo's but not tough guys. But you've ruined the joke. I hate you Yanks.

Come to think of it, a long, long, LONG time ago I did the most epic move in a schoolyard brawl. It had snowed (as it often does in Canada) and I was 10 I believe. During recess I found a kid who had stolen my back pack and subsequently my favourite Batman action figure. He just happened to be standing near this huge hill kids would tobaggon down. I ran and tackled him, as he fell down I mounted him just before he started to slide down the hill. I rained punches from full mount as I rode him down the hill like a magic carpet. By the time we got to the bottom he was a bloody mess and crying and I felt so awesome. I got up to walk away and some douche bag sixth grader took me out with his tobaggon. I had to get 8 stitches across my scalp.

This is ages before I knew of or ever trained BJJ.

That's really badass. Had it not been a sausage fest I'm sure you would have gotten some poon that night. I carry cards from my gym too but I haven't had such a cool opportunity to use them yet. So in Alaska do you guys roll with bears?

Major LoL

I did a beautiful uchi mata at a soccer game once, even rolled over him and back to my feet

Only other technical grapplign thing i have done in a street fight was when me and am ate got jumped and I got a RNC on one of them, walked like that to a bar saying i was going to snap his neck and they believed us, we got help from the bouncers to chase them away

50 on 1.. I pulled guard and arm barred every single one of em i swear!

I heel-hooked one of my nephew's friends once after he called me an 'old man'. He was 18 years old, but he cried like a little baby.

I've never done an ippon seo nage (I know I'm spelling that wrong somewhere in there but I don't care) or a flying armbar or something stupid in a street fight, but I've sprawled/taken a guy's back/uchi-mata'd/trapped punches, just basic stuff like that.
Although my most bad-ass story would have to be once I was coming out of a 7/11 after paying for my gas, and I saw my friend who was waiting for me outside by the car face-down on the concrete and a dude holding him down and ripping at my buddy's jacket.
I ran up behind him and put an RNC on him, and (this is the best part) as soon as my friend felt the guy's weight come off him he mule-kicked him in the solar plexus, which happened right before I really sank the choke in, causing the guy to pass out in about 2 seconds :D after which I just dropped him face first on the concrete and we got the eff out of there.
Turns out my friend got out of the car to throw out some garbage and this guy just blindsided him, he didn't even see it coming. He thought it was me at first until the guy started ripping on his jacket.

Back