Anyone here used jiu jitsu for self defense?

I have done many other martial arts and all the times I had to use my self defense I did not mess around and when straight for my BJJ. I am not speaking for everyone here, but it worked the best for me. Everyone hears that 95% of all fight end up on the ground. I don't know how true that really is, but the idea of clinching an opponent and taking them down has really worked dividends for me. I know it's not for everybody, but it saved my ass :)

Hell I might as well jump in.

I've used Judo in a mosh pit, does that count?

a couple times when i was hammered...

last weekend this dude was bragging about his wrestling pedigree and a couple words led to him shooting in on me and me slipping in an anaconda choke.. i let go when he tapped and we continued drinking

Is it just me or does every single poster on sherdog that talks about his street fight have to be at least 5 inch's or 40lbs smaller than their opponent, and win!? hah
Sorry for wasting your time.
OH and their opponent had a weapon too!

psh im 6'4 and 225 and i regularly beat up 7 foot + guys with gigantism and a 250 pound weight advantage. They are also armed with swords usually. :icon_chee

everyone exaggerates a little bit in fights haha. its artistic license

The closest thing to self defense is probably choking out drunken friends that have started pushing me or instigating "wrestling matches".

not really a fight, just kind of messing around.

3 weeks ago i was at this total house party turned sausage fest. so i was upstairs getting ready to leave and just talking to my buddy, when this guy who is a friend of a friend starts up with "i hear you do jiu jitsu, my freestyle will own your jiu jitsu". i knew he was drunk so i say "yeah it probably would". and he proceeds to talk shit and finally grabs me by the arm and pulls me over to the carpet while about 30 people are watching in the living room. so he clinches up with me wrestling style like and then tries this flying guillotine, but he fails to finish it because he has no clue what a guard is. mind you i have a beer in my hand, and he is about 40 lbs lighter than me, i posture up in the standing position, walk over a couple feet to put my drunk down and bring him back to the carpet and set him down while hes got me in this headlock, and take mount. he goes all spaz trying to finish, and people all over the room keep saying that im going to tap or pass out. once he loosened up i postured and pulled my head out and set my knees high in his armpits. i slapped his face a bit, not hard just enough to annoy him and get his arms up. once his arms were up i took the armbar and made him tap. after that i took out one of my gyms cards and set it on the table and went back to drinking my beer.

I have used ouchi gari, osoto gari and tai otoshi successfully in the street.

I strongly recommend you reserve chokes/strangles only for instances where you can justify use of deadly force.

Ive only ever used the mount position in a fight, and the only reason is, in UK, you dont get done for assault if you mount them and knock them out, but you do if you stamp on their face.

I see you guys favor NSAC rules in the UK.

Is it just me or does every single poster on sherdog that talks about his street fight have to be at least 5 inch's or 40lbs smaller than their opponent, and win!? hah
Sorry for wasting your time.
OH and their opponent had a weapon too!

Have you ever seen a smaller guy bully and attack a bigger guy? Have you ever seen an unarmed guy attacks a guy with a machine gun? Have you ever seen a smaller fish eat a big fish?

As for my story. I was attacked by a drunk guy in a hotel floor. He came in swinging wide. I clinched -> Osoto -> knee on belly -> side mount -> Ude garami (Americana) -> he's done.

Pics or work :icon_lol:

Seriously, that could make for some classic vid.

Nothing like Uchi-mata or anything, mostly just using the stupid kids' momentum against them with little hip tosses. Just enoungh to put them off balance for the other guy running into them. With the occasional foot sweep on a real stubborn one. :icon_chee

Oh and before anyone asks: I didn't go into the pit looking to toss fools, it was a side pit formed by stupid college/highschool kids who were too scared to go into the big bad moshpit. You wanna mosh thats cool, but go to the pit where people are expecting it, don't just start pushing people.

a la karate kid! cmon!

LMAO that was on this weekend and my grirl and I caught the last scene where he does this. She said " Do they teach you to do that." I just gave her a serious look, and said "Absolutely. It can save your life!"

A few years ago I would armbar and triangle my friends when we were drunk at parties...that's about it...we would always wake up with scraped up elbows and sometimes blood on the carpet...it was that real short berber shit that tears you up. lol..so dumb...

Dude I was kiddddddddddddding!! Just like my argument with you in the other thread....calm down pal Im just messin with ya! :D

Do you hear that? That's the sound of the joke going completely over your head. I left out the homo part intentionally to imply that we're homo's but not tough guys. But you've ruined the joke. I hate you Yanks.

Come to think of it, a long, long, LONG time ago I did the most epic move in a schoolyard brawl. It had snowed (as it often does in Canada) and I was 10 I believe. During recess I found a kid who had stolen my back pack and subsequently my favourite Batman action figure. He just happened to be standing near this huge hill kids would tobaggon down. I ran and tackled him, as he fell down I mounted him just before he started to slide down the hill. I rained punches from full mount as I rode him down the hill like a magic carpet. By the time we got to the bottom he was a bloody mess and crying and I felt so awesome. I got up to walk away and some douche bag sixth grader took me out with his tobaggon. I had to get 8 stitches across my scalp.

This is ages before I knew of or ever trained BJJ.

not really a fight, just kind of messing around.

3 weeks ago i was at this total house party turned sausage fest. so i was upstairs getting ready to leave and just talking to my buddy, when this guy who is a friend of a friend starts up with "i hear you do jiu jitsu, my freestyle will own your jiu jitsu". i knew he was drunk so i say "yeah it probably would". and he proceeds to talk shit and finally grabs me by the arm and pulls me over to the carpet while about 30 people are watching in the living room. so he clinches up with me wrestling style like and then tries this flying guillotine, but he fails to finish it because he has no clue what a guard is. mind you i have a beer in my hand, and he is about 40 lbs lighter than me, i posture up in the standing position, walk over a couple feet to put my drunk down and bring him back to the carpet and set him down while hes got me in this headlock, and take mount. he goes all spaz trying to finish, and people all over the room keep saying that im going to tap or pass out. once he loosened up i postured and pulled my head out and set my knees high in his armpits. i slapped his face a bit, not hard just enough to annoy him and get his arms up. once his arms were up i took the armbar and made him tap. after that i took out one of my gyms cards and set it on the table and went back to drinking my beer.

That's really badass. Had it not been a sausage fest I'm sure you would have gotten some poon that night. I carry cards from my gym too but I haven't had such a cool opportunity to use them yet. So in Alaska do you guys roll with bears?

long story short:

Got jumped, it was 5v1, I got punched in the face, grabbed one guy in a thai clinch (which I learned in bjj strangely enough) and spun him into his buddies then ran away at full speed. It all took about five seconds, during which time I got stabbed twice, and the guy I thai clinched and used as a human shield got stabbed once (saw him at the hospital later)

So yeah without bjj and my human shield tactics I would have taken one straight to the chest and probably would not be around today.

Back