Anyone here used jiu jitsu for self defense?

JerseyTrash

Silver Belt
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has any good stories out there.

I got a story, not a good one but a story.

its not a 'fight' story but still extra curricular grappling for 'self defense.'

haha last weekend we were chillin out by the pool. I wouldnt get in, so my friends tell me to get in or else they will push me in. I laughed in their face knowing they had no grappling skills. so these 2 clowns tried to throw me in the pool. first one tried to single leg me so I whizzer and push his head away snapping my trapped leg free. So he tries a double leg, I sprawl and get an under hook. He tries to sacrifice himself and bull rush me in to the pool, so I use an Ogoshi type movement to spin him around before pushing him in to concentrate on the other guy. This one was trying wrist control but I kept circling my wrists, then he tried 2 on 1 wrist control but still I circled out. He was lost so I just shoved him in, too.

First time I used my training outside of class/competition. We don't even do very much stand up, mostly drilling (I guess drilling works, too)

I know, I know I shouldn't be picking on the local 20 something kids, but they started it!

Been in more fights than I care to remember and Judo has helped me in all of them.

Never BJJ but martial arts sure! There were afew years that I refused to walk away from any asshole that started with me....I looked at it like its his fault for starting with me and he would pay for it lol - but I grew up (when I was about 28yrs old lol)

Ive used Kung Fu and Muy Thai in self defense but not BJJ...they never went to the ground.

Most recently...about a month ago, 4 YOUNG hoodlums followed me home from Wendys tried to run me off the road, got me to pull over and 4 KIDS (18yrs old) got out...one of whom had a baseball bat. It wasnt a good night for them...I have the bat a souvenir lol

I dont condone street fighting at all but I will admit I do have a temper!

My boss was drunk once and put me in a headlock. I took him to the ground and mounted him.

Can we stickey a "BJJ/Judo/Wrestling/Whoflungdung/ect in a real life streetfight" thread? I swear these threads pop up every month.

Whatever, it's not like this is some massive inconvenience or something.

After the first few UFCs i used ground and pound a lot as i hadn't trained.
After starting BJJ only once have I used it. I pretty much stood up to a challenge went straight for a single spun him around to get the double when he tried hopping, slid straight to side and steppped straight over his neck for the arm bar. It was easier than slugging thats for sure. The guy was about 6'4 to my 5'10.
I have fought as a striker since I was 11. Grappling/MMA wise I have one all styles tournament under my belt.

Never BJJ but martial arts sure! There were afew years that I refused to walk away from any asshole that started with me....I looked at it like its his fault for starting with me and he would pay for it lol - but I grew up (when I was about 28yrs old lol)

Ive used Kung Fu and Muy Thai in self defense but not BJJ...they never went to the ground.

Most recently...about a month ago, 4 YOUNG hoodlums followed me home from Wendys tried to run me off the road, got me to pull over and 4 KIDS (18yrs old) got out...one of whom had a baseball bat. It wasnt a good night for them...I have the bat a souvenir lol

I dont condone street fighting at all but I will admit I do have a temper!

Is this a common occurance in Long Island? Did you piss in their frostys or something?

Is it just me or does every single poster on sherdog that talks about his street fight have to be at least 5 inch's or 40lbs smaller than their opponent, and win!? hah
Sorry for wasting your time.
OH and their opponent had a weapon too!

Ive used judo in basically all my fights. I like to slam someone on concrete then go right in for the choke. the best part is I make it look like im going easy on them.

I've trained in both BJJ & MT, but have never had to use them, I guess I'm more choosey with my battles. I have, however, used my Arnis training in a self defense situation, I had no opportunity to run, and I wasn't about to go to grappling range.

Twice.

Never been in a bar fight or a street fight. I have been in a frat fight and a park fight.

The frat fight:

My brothers friends are having a party in a hotel on the second floor. Some frat kids are having another party on the floor below. The kids from the party below try to overpower our music and start using their cars to make rukus. Shit gets started and people from my party invade. I want no part of it but my brother is the type who just jumps into shit. I run down into the room where a battle royal is taking place. I turn around and some guy "shoots" in on me. I pull butterfly guard, we hit a sofa and I roll into a perfect mount.

Than I pinch his nose. Someone yells the cops are coming and my brother and I leave both parties laughing about it on the way home.

Park fight:

I am drinking outside during a japanese festival and I hear a british guy say "who wants to take me on!" Next thing you know I am in a reverse bearhug. I flip to a kimura sakuraba style and than transition to a bellydown armbar. Im pretty drunk and I hold on to the armbar a little to long. The guy was at least 270. 100 pounds heavier than me. Than my friend introduces me to the guy. Turns out my friend wanted to see me fight so he offered his other friend a beer to pick a fight with me.

We are all good friends now.

Both altercations together lasted less than 20 seconds combined.

Is this a common occurance in Long Island? Did you piss in their frostys or something?

No and I live in a good area! These were just wanna be thugs (2 white 2 black) that were trying to be hard and beat someone up. It wasnt a car jack, or a robbery...just acting hard ya know?

Every area has those kids! Even you homos in Canada think your tough! :icon_chee:icon_chee

I haven't, but I tend to link to this story when the topic comes up. A guy (might well post here, as he's on quite a few forums) in Wales who used a triangle to deal with a road rage incident.

Ive only ever used the mount position in a fight, and the only reason is, in UK, you dont get done for assault if you mount them and knock them out, but you do if you stamp on their face.

I've used BJJ to stop several parties from becoming complete brawls.

No and I live in a good area! These were just wanna be thugs (2 white 2 black) that were trying to be hard and beat someone up. It wasnt a car jack, or a robbery...just acting hard ya know?

Every area has those kids! Even you homos in Canada think your tough! :icon_chee:icon_chee

That is baseless and untrue, never have we claimed to be tough.

I pull butterfly guard, we hit a sofa and I roll into a perfect mount. Then I pinch his nose.
Uh, is this some kinda technique I don't know about, or did you literally pinch his nose? lol! :icon_lol:

Back