Anyone here still ride BMX?

TeTe

🤡🌎
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Haven't biked period in years. But I've been thinking about buying one to fuck around in the city here.

I could do the normal thing and buy a cruising or mountain type bike but I'd like to buy a bike to do stupid shit and break my neck on. Not looking to be the next Jaime Bestwick or anything, but maybe try to pull some tricks on it.

I haven't been boxing as much lately so I need another health risking hobby to carry out.

Anyone?

31, still ride BMX. Mostly flatland / street. Used to race a bit when i was a little dude. Got back into it a few years ago after my second degree. Missed it so much, so nice being back on a bike. but holy shit was I / am i out of shape, lol. My flat bike is a DK opsis - before they sold out to big box stores...fuck you mongoose, too.

Recently built a 24" dirt jumper; dmr frame, halo ss rear hub, 2007 dj3 forks. Over two decades of riding and I've never ran a squishy front, it was so weird. Love it though. Have you thought about going with 24/26 dj? You can get geometry pretty close to bmx. Love the room, more flowey on the big stuff. I love my 24".

1011271_10152337747377640_1517050979_n.jpg
1890604_10152337746397640_551168759_o.jpg

Last edited:
31, still ride BMX. Mostly flatland / street. Used to race a bit when i was a little dude. Got back into it a few years ago after my second degree. Missed it so much, so nice being back on a bike. but holy shit was I / am i out of shape, lol. My flat bike is a DK opsis - before they sold out to big box stores...fuck you mongoose, too.

Recently built a 24" dirt jumper; dmr frame, halo ss rear hub, 2007 dj3 forks. Over two decades of riding and I've never ran a squishy front, it was so weird. Love it though. Have you thought about going with 24/26 dj? You can get geometry pretty close to bmx. Love the room, more flowey on the big stuff. I love my 24".

I don't really know much about the bikes, but I'm interested in learning some more.

I'm 34 now, but in the best shape of my life. Not only have I been boxing but I lift a lot too. So I feel like I can take on some of this.

Not sure if I plan on doing some long distance cruising, so I know I may have to set it up to not ride too uncomfortably. Like I said, I'm not going to be doing any crazy flips and X game shit on it, but I'd like to do some jumps.. one wheel riding. you know basic shit.

I'm not 12 so no.

Go for it man. I just got back on my Redline. Its hella fun and gets your cardio working overtime. Nothing wrong with rockin a bmx. Shit like this helps keep you young. This is coming from someone older than you.

Some things to consider.

A few key geometry points on a frame / bike are the chain stays, top tube and head angle. The shorter the chain stays, the easier to pop into and out of manuels - benefits street riding/flatland, depending of preference. The longer the chain stays, the more stable the bike - benefits ramp riding / dirt jumping. Top tube length determines overall stability as well, along with just how comfy you feel while riding. Flatland bikes have VERY short top tubes - I'm 5'7 and run a 19" tt. Most street / dirt frames will run between 20.5 and 22.5, depending on your height and preference. Head angle also affects stability. A steeper head angle - like a 70.5 degree or something - is more twitchy, but reactive and spins better, also good for tricks when the bars are backwards. A more lax head angle makes the bike more stable, less twitchy.

For components, you want to make sure you get double wall rims. also, i'd run a cassette, not a freewheel. It's just more new school and you'll have more options in the long run. Make sure you get a full chromo frame, too. Some frames have a chromo top and bottom tube, while the rear triangle is hi-ten steel. It's not bad if used just in the rear, but it's heavy as hell and you're best to just go full chromo. Stay away from aluminum for anything but chain wheels, and I'd still stick with 7000 series even for that.

Some "better" brands are Sunday, Odyssey, we the people, s&m. Mid tier would be like stolen, SOME eastern stuff, Verde, cult. I stay away from fit, haro, mirraco and SOME hoffman stuff - though, Hoffman makes the strowler frame, which is one of the best straight up, all purpose freestyle frame on the market for the money.

Check out albes, bmx guru and danscomp for online shit if you don't want to shop local. Pink bike, vital bmx, bmx museum are good resources for info / talk, too.

Last edited:
Bmx is the way to go. Sturdy and whatnot. Plus put some pegs on and the ladies can jump in the back. Yehhh

Yeap

33, 6'2" and I ride a 20" GT Fueler (Dirt jumper).

Love it.

Don't go jumping much anymore but its good knowing the bike can stand up to just about anything.

Although I replaced the seat as it felt like a thin layer of leather stretched over tungsten.

Back