Anyone here jump rope?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by tdluxon, Aug 6, 2016.

1. tdluxon

tdluxon Red Belt

I recently started jumping rope as part of my workout routine and have really been liking it. Compared to other cardio stuff (treadmill, elliptical, rowing machine, etc) it seems like time goes by really fast, presumably because keeping track of the rope keeps your mind occupied instead of just watching the clock. It's kinda fun working different jumps... Doubles, switching feet, side to side, whatever. Also, I've been surprised how much it seems to work the shoulders and back, it was expecting mostly just calves. It seems to have me really pumping... I'm usually covered in sweat compared to other stuff and high heart rate.

Anyone here jump a lot? Any tips for a noobie?

2. tdluxon

tdluxon Red Belt

Guess not

3. xPINKx

xPINKx i like turtles

Just keep at it, I guess. I do it, it's fun.

4. Kiwi Tricker

Kiwi Tricker Green Belt

Yeah, I'll skip rope for 3-5 rounds before training, and occasionally work it into my conditioning sessions as well.

5. Noodles03

Noodles03 Green Belt

I really enjoy jump roping a lot and eventually I'm planning on buying the Ultra Titan 3 lbs jump rope from crossrope just add variety to my workout routine.

Far as tips goes, just be consistent.

6. j123

j123 Pro Sherdogger 500-0-1

When I need to do cardio and can't run (cold winter, black ice all around the neighborhood).
    As for tips. Well, I'd say try not to jump with both feet, alternate, and keep the jumps as close to the ground as possible. You'll do more advanced/interesting stuff once you get bored. When I got bored, I added more stuff in. eg. before I'd hop in place, to spice things up, I'd hop side to side, or back and forth, doubles, couple of jumps single legged, etc

7. kevo1295

kevo1295 Brown Belt

Yes. It's great for cardio, and you feel like a beast once you get good at it. Try to up how many skips you can get to improve. Do sets on one leg then alternate etc.

8. ButtonMasher

ButtonMasher Banned Banned

Yeah I jump rope all the time, 3:00 rounds with 1:00 rest.

Doing doubles though are fucking HARD.

9. RawHawg

RawHawg Black Belt

Don't skimp on the rope. Get a good one, I found leather ones were great,. and one with bearings in the handles. You can also get weighted handles. The old boxing champ Sonny Liston was considered a master at skipping rope, here is a video you may enjoy:

YukisHeart likes this.
  10. mcveteran81

mcveteran81 Veteran Double Yellow Card

Love jumping rope. I do it 3 times a week for roughly 20 minute sessions. (Actual time spent jumping is likely 15 mins)

And I know what you mean about the other muscle groups. Jump roping is more then just cardio, its considered to be a low impact / level of plyometrics. On top of which jumping rope works this = Your muscles—the gastrocnemius, quadriceps, hamstrings, glutes, abdominals,forearms, and deltoids—get a workout. Your agility, hand-to-eye coordination, and balance will improve so that you'll feel more sure on your feet. Rope jumping is also second to none for building strong bones.

11. SMillard

SMillard Red Belt

I do it occasionally for cardio, enjoy it more than running. Check out some of the tutorials on youtube, Dr Sara Solomon is probably one of my favorites, but that has more to do with her body and lack of wardrobe than her actual rope jumping skills, but she is very good at jumping rope.

12. Grrrr

Grrrr BE NICE

Always wanted to get good at it.... Never stayed consistent though.

13. boingyman

boingyman If can, can. If no can, no can.

Same here. Any suggestions on a good jump rope that's decently priced?

14. Grrrr

Grrrr BE NICE

I have none, sorry... But would welcome info from anyone that does.

15. aus101

aus101 Black Belt

I work afternoon shifts at an after school care. Been working on jumping rope or "skipping" as we call it here. Always a tonne lying around and plenty of kids with all kinds of moves willing to help out my form and teach me tricks. It's a good way to pass the time while working on my cardio (something I usually find a terrible bore).

It works my calves and should improve foot coordination pretty well I suspect too. Can't wait till I'm beasting like Rocky. Just learnt the double under.

16. AtlSteel

AtlSteel Green Belt

Same. Wood handles with ball bearings. Leather rope. Had it for so many years that I don't know if there is something better out there. Mine is worn thin in the middle so will find out soon.

17. YukisHeart

YukisHeart Brown Belt

Design for the Crossrope is pretty cool, but I don't like the Titan's apparent lack of flex. Doesn't seem very portable.

I'm tempted the get one of the two pound ropes (the Strength or the Fury; not clear what the difference is, if there is any), but they're damn expensive and it seems you can't just buy one rope and one set of handles. (Not interested in swapping out multiple ropes; needless faff.)

18. Noodles03

Noodles03 Green Belt

I believe that the Fury rope can be used indoor and outdoor while the Strength rope can only be used indoors.

19. Josh B

Josh B White Belt

I warm up with 10 minutes of it first thing each workout. Then at the end of my bag and pa rounds i do 3 rounds of skipping.

20. bushman505

bushman505 Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

I have the new Crossrope, the one that won't get destroyed from outdoor use. I like doing it a lot more outdoors than inside the house so the rope has been perfect for me.

I actually have the whole crossrope set, even that 3lb thing but I just use a 4oz and 16oz since they are the ones that can be used outdoors.

I've been doing jump rope for years, and i actually sort of findnit surprising when guys don't use jump ropes.

Last night I had a great workout with the jumprope and the pull-up bars.