Anyone here do small engine repair?

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by MC Paul Barman, Jan 11, 2015.

1. MC Paul Barman

MC Paul Barman Gold Belt Platinum Member

I work at Chase....
    I've been at Chase for 12 years.
    I'm comfortable at Chase. I get paid decently. I have many vacation hours accrued.

But I'm sick of it.
    I could go to another bank and do sales there, but I could give a shit about doing sales for any bank or any other company.

So.... I've been thinking about doing something completely different: small engine repair.

I'm kind of savvy in this regard. I was curious if anyone here has made a career out of doing this?

I'm thinking about just doing my job at Chase and on the side start doing repairs which Chase actually would require me to get it approved with them first. A manager overheard me talking and informed HR that I might start doing a side job, HR contacted me and told me it's a "no no" to have a side job that hasn't been cleared. She just jumped right into correcting me and telling me I didn't get the necessary pre-approval from HR.

I told the HR lady, "You have no idea what you're talking about."

Lady, "excuse me?!"

Me, "I'm not doing any side job.... I merely mentioned that I was thinking about it."

Lady, "Yes! and THAT needs approval!"

Me, "It's not my job to explain to you that my considering a side job is not actually the same as my performing a side job."

Some more back and forth. She made some insult towards me and I called her a glorified busybody.

So anyway.... has anyone made much of a career out of doing this?

2. blakethemus

blakethemus Blake Belt

Nah being a busy body never worked out as a career for me.

3. 3825 968

3825 968 moonwalking

It's good for a side job. You're not giong to get rich doing it that's for sure. and you'll have to become and alcoholic if you're not one already

4. Magooglie

Magooglie Yellow Card Yellow Card

Report her to herself

5. MC Paul Barman

There's been a significant decline in the quality of employee here over the years.
    She "ummmm'd" and "aaaaaaa'd" after every 3 words and ended all of her sentences with "right?".

It was like I was talking to a high school girl.

"You have ummmmm started a company where ummmmm you build 'small engines'. Now, aaaaaaa..... when you start aaaaaaaa up your own company, right.... you have to ummmmm... get pre-approved. We ummmm require this because aaaaaaa we need to know that this company is your first priority, right?"

6. Reyesnuthugr

Reyesnuthugr Dominick Reyes Belt

It's kinda like how GoodWill Industries puts out ads reminding that they employ people with severe mental disabilities. Chase does that too, but specifically for their HR dept.

7. 7437

7437 Gold Belt

prepare for a pay cut

8. MC Paul Barman

It's crazy....
    When I first started with the bank it was Bank One (prior to the merger with Chase).
    At that time it was a really good place to work. You could have a friendly relationship with your clients: take them out to eat, to games.... get presents from them.... just a cool atmosphere.
    Our group would do a lot of stuff together. Christmas parties were actually fun.

Then it became Chase. And one of the first things they changed was the relationship with the clients. "They are NOT your friends. You have to treat them like clients." Well, that only goes so far for clients that really liked the more personal relationship. Then they took away the budget to do stuff with and for clients.
    "It's not fair business practices. It creates an uneven playing field".

So then clients would go to more local banks that still knew how to give a shit about them. Even playing field my ass.

You'd get a gift from a client and a coworker or someone in another department would cry, piss and moan, go to HR and scream "Not fair!!!"
    Women did this. Not all women. But a certain type of woman, "I've been here for 'blah blah blah years' and they never gave me anything."
    So now if you get anything you have to send it back to the client.

One of my coworkers was literally crying and shaking when a guy from another fucking department got a box of gourmet meat from his client. She even went to his office and told him how she didn't feel it was fair. And how it would be fair to share what he got with the floor.

So then we start losing respectable, hardworking employees and fill the gap with buffoons who thrive in an environment like that.

9. SolidIce

SolidIce Purple Belt

Sounds about right. All the big companies are like this now, its a joke. So just be warned..if you go to any other big company, it will be the same. ESPECIALLY office jobs. Small companies are hit or miss. Can be great, but if you get a bad one you are fucked. Devil you know vs devil you don't.

If i was in charge of chase, id fire the bitch whining about the sausages. Sucks what the world is becoming and that people like that can even have their "opinions" considered.

10. Reyesnuthugr

^^Haha, great story. We all know that kind of "woman." I don't know why they get to be called "women," I think they deserve their own categorical term. Something like "GreaseFrump?" Even children are expected to behave better than that (and that's @ home, not work).

I had one (front desk/ receptionist) just like that at my last work whine literally out loud [with tears] for a few whole minutes to the whole dental clinic, dentist + assistants and patients, that it wasn't fair that my hair was nicer than hers. Like she expected something to be done about it. We hadn't even been talking, let alone about our hair. Plus I'm a dude that is a decade and a half younger than her. Of course, she didn't get written up or anything, they knew the type when they hired her (and a few more). But imagine if it were reversed and I tried to pull something like that..

You can probably imagine exactly what she looked like. There's only 3 slightly variable wardrobe/personal style choices these "types" are able to choose from. They're basically clones and I have no idea why companies agree to hire them in the first place. It's not like they're going to be helpful or productive (or not sabotage actual work). Why are these people hired? Why are they retained after they pull constant shit like this, and worse?

Also, anyone know where these come from? You don't see them while attending school or growing up, and if you do spot one it's a rare sighting (but usually they will be fully grown+ and in a teaching position)...

-----

And this really puzzles me--

I guess they mean it would be an "uneven playing field" for their competitors? Like, they want to be fair and share more of the client pool with other banks? By sucking more to deal with so many potential clients will choose to go elsewhere?

That works, I guess.

11. ralphc1

ralphc1 Steel Belt Platinum Member

There is not a lot of call for small engine repair these days because it's usually cheaper to buy a replacement. People who use a lot of equipment usually work on it themselves.

12. MC Paul Barman

Completely agree.

I stopped looking at other big banks a few years back. Someone would just have enough with Chase and go to Harris or US Bank or wherever. You'd hear from them a few months later and it would always be "they do the same shit here too".

These fucking compliance and due diligence morons whose only job really is to take a simple process and making it a big fucking headache. And they're all called "Project Managers". And the all think compliance and 'due diligence' are the most important thing in a bank. And they all say things like "proactive" in meetings.
    They contribute nothing but obstacles.

I did have the joy of knocking a smug one down a peg or two a few of years back.
    My wife was pregnant and this gal came into my office to congratulate me in one breath but then feel the need to tell me how she's too career orientated to have a child of her own. My wife is a physical therapist and this gal reads Policies and Procedures manuals.

After informing me she wasn't going to have kids or get married she says, "I'm going to make my impact here."

"What kind of impact can you make here?" I asked.

"I want to be remembered here." She replied.

"Who was the CEO of Chase when Bank One and Chase merged" (she worked here then.... she should know, if she cared).

"I can't remember his name. That was so long ago."

"That was 4 years ago and his name was Bill Harrison.... and he was the CEO. The highest up at this company you can get. And you don't even remember him. Most don't remember him. I don't even know why I DO remember him. He was largely forgotten from this company in a matter of 4 years. You're leaving no dent here that anyone will ever care about."

13. MC Paul Barman

HA! GreaseFrump!
    I'm using that.

We had a lady we called "Sweat Log".... the girls in our department would say that she would stink up the bathroom when she shat and they would hear her spraying perfume on her ass after wiping.

14. TeTe

TeTe Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator

I did it for 11 months for cash while I was collecting unemployment about 11 years ago.

Even the people that I worked for said it was shit pay owning the business.

15. MadSquabbles500

MadSquabbles500 Steel Belt

Why not quit your job, go to school for mechanics in cars, diesel, planes, helicopters or boats, and just be a mechanic?

16. jefferz

jefferz Gold Belt Platinum Member

I work at a small town service station and work on them fairly often.
    90% of you work will be cleaning carbs because people don't put a gas additive in them when they're put away or they run gas with ethanol in them.

17. RSmith47

RSmith47 Brown Belt

I reckon I used to know a guy who worked down at Bill Cox's outfit doing small engine repairs and what not. Turns out he hacked his friend's, mom's, boyfriend to death with a lawnmower blade and got put up in the mental institution.

18. Reyesnuthugr

^Sounds like TS better stay away from small engine repair