Anyone here a Physician's Assistant?

And dont the PAs have to do that nasty stuff for the doctors. LIke once I had hemmorhoids, and I think it is the PA who had to clean out my rectum first, and then keep her hand up my anus to keep the wound from reopening.

That was too much detail I know.

Why be lonely and depressed in Carribean?
Would you be cool with essentially gambling w your future? The Caribbean route essentially feeds on students who can't get into med school in the US, charge them a ton of money, only to have 50% of them find a job as a doctor in the US. And those 50% are in less than desirable areas and are getting paid less than their counterparts.

You went to the Caribbean, right? How did that turn out for you? Is it as bad as people make it out to be in terms of finding a residency and scoring high on boards?

If you have the tools to be a doctor you can do it Caribbean or not but you won't be spoon fed. I taught myself clinical medicine. I skipped probably half of my clinical rotations but I scored well on CK. I know many people who did well and are in good residencies - Mayo, Dartmouth, John Hopkins, etc... Just look at the avg board scores of the different caribbean schools and it'll give you a good picture. I know several who scored 260+ on the steps. You can forget about plastic, rad, derm although I know someone who matched into an Ophthalmology residency (her dad was an ophthalmologist). I'm not going to list the pros and cons because it's too complicated. If you know you want to do it and you can succeed in it then go for it but 20% quit/fail in the first few semesters of most caribbean schools because they weren't cut out for the rigors of medical school.

If you have the tools to be a doctor you can do it Caribbean or not but you won't be spoon fed. I taught myself clinical medicine. I skipped probably half of my clinical rotations but I scored well on CK. I know many people who did well and are in good residencies - Mayo, Dartmouth, John Hopkins, etc... Just look at the avg board scores of the different caribbean schools and it'll give you a good picture. I know several who scored 260+ on the steps. You can forget about plastic, rad, derm although I know someone who matched into an Ophthalmology residency (her dad was an ophthalmologist). I'm not going to list the pros and cons because it's too complicated. If you know you want to do it and you can succeed in it then go for it but 20% quit/fail in the first few semesters of most caribbean schools because they weren't cut out for the rigors of medical school.
I don't doubt anything yu said. But at the same time, I have a hard time believing that stigma can just be overcome w good boards. Granted, I don't really know how the merger is going to affect IMS in terms of getting a residency (bc I think you can apply to AOA spots now, right?), but isn't the residency issue pretty bad for the majority that aren't scoring stellar board scores? I have a friend who was more than qualified to go to a US MD school go to SGU and now he's in an Internal medicine residency when he had scores good enough for anesthesiology

I don't doubt anything yu said. But at the same time, I have a hard time believing that stigma can just be overcome w good boards. Granted, I don't really know how the merger is going to affect IMS in terms of getting a residency (bc I think you can apply to AOA spots now, right?), but isn't the residency issue pretty bad for the majority that aren't scoring stellar board scores? I have a friend who was more than qualified to go to a US MD school go to SGU and now he's in an Internal medicine residency when he had scores good enough for anesthesiology

I know an 2 anaesthesiologists from AUC. 1 got a residency in Buffalo,NY and the other in Bakersfield, CA. Friend who got a residency in Buffalo had a wife who knew the program director. The guy in Bakersfield is one of the smartest guys I know. It's how well you do in interviews, how well you compare to the applicant pool, any red flags?, etc... multiple factors to consider why your friend didn't get Anesthesiology.

I know an 2 anaesthesiologists from AUC. 1 got a residency in Buffalo,NY and the other in Bakersfield, CA. Friend who got a residency in Buffalo had a wife who knew the program director. The guy in Bakersfield is one of the smartest guys I know. It's how well you do in interviews, how well you compare to the applicant pool, any red flags?, etc... multiple factors to consider why your friend didn't get Anesthesiology.
I bet. i mean, you're listing the exceptions and the outliers to the whole Caribbean scene. What about the vast majority? im not claiming that only 5% make it out of the big three with a decent outlook on life, but i think id rather go into a PA program than go to the caribbean and come out with a peds or psych residency spot

I was accepted at AUC before i was advised not to go and to try another application cycle. While this year was better than last, still nothing. i am confident i can do well in the Caribbean but its not a risk im willing to take, especially with all the horror stories ive heard of people get stuck in shitty locations bc they scrambled to match

I bet. i mean, you're listing the exceptions and the outliers to the whole Caribbean scene. What about the vast majority? im not claiming that only 5% make it out of the big three with a decent outlook on life, but i think id rather go into a PA program than go to the caribbean and come out with a peds or psych residency spot

I was accepted at AUC before i was advised not to go and to try another application cycle. While this year was better than last, still nothing. i am confident i can do well in the Caribbean but its not a risk im willing to take, especially with all the horror stories ive heard of people get stuck in shitty locations bc they scrambled to match

It's true that 80% of the Carib grads go into primary care. Lots of FM, IM, Peds, psych is getting more competetive
What specialty do you want to go into?

Btw, median income for primary care is still around 180k for FM 200k for IM, 200k for psych. That's MEDIAN income. A lot of people who go into primary care are women. They skew the data because of family - children (maternity leave), working less hours. There are psychiatrists who make bank as well as FM docs who cash in. Any specialty can get you money if you know how.

Last edited:
It's true that 80% of the Carib grads go into primary care. Lots of FM, IM, Peds, psych is getting more competetive
What specialty do you want to go into?
i mean, I'd love to land a EM or an anesthesiology residency but I understand how difficult it is. Factor in that I'm having trouble getting a spot in a med school and chances are I'm not cut out to score that high on boards (just being realistic). I'm not opposed to IM or FM, my earlier statement was more criticizing getting a residency like that in a very undesirable location while getting paid a fraction of what your counterparts are making

im hearing a lot of positives about becoming a physicians assistant. As someone who is having a hard time getting into medical school, it's very tempting to consider. My primary care physician actually told me to stop pursuing becoming a doctor and go to PA school instead. so does anyone here know a PA or is a PA that can give me some insight as to what life is like and whether it's worth it?

Don't give up your dream of being a doctor just because one of them told you to. If that's what you really want, stick with it. I worked with a PA once and she was cool. She did a lot of similar things as the doctor, only he was top dog and I'm sure made more money. If being a doctor is what you really want, don't give up on it.

i mean, I'd love to land a EM or an anesthesiology residency but I understand how difficult it is. Factor in that I'm having trouble getting a spot in a med school and chances are I'm not cut out to score that high on boards (just being realistic). I'm not opposed to IM or FM, my earlier statement was more criticizing getting a residency like that in a very undesirable location while getting paid a fraction of what your counterparts are making

From what I've gathered over the years...a 27 mcat -ish (old scoring) will get you around 220-230 on step 1 and 2. If you want to compare yourself to how you will do in the future. The guy in Bakersfield doing his Anaesthesiology residency had a 38 MCAT with 250 step 1 his GPA from University was 2.8 though which is why he didn't get into a US school. I believe avg for Anesthesiology is 230, I'm not sure though. Plus, location will be for 4 years only then you can move. Or do one year and transfer to PGY2.

Don't give up your dream of being a doctor just because one of them told you to. If that's what you really want, stick with it. I worked with a PA once and she was cool. She did a lot of similar things as the doctor, only he was top dog and I'm sure made more money. If being a doctor is what you really want, don't give up on it.
Well to be fair, he told me to go into being a PA prior to my issues getting accepted. I went in to shadow him and that's when he told me that he would rather go to PA school if he could do it again. I don't really blame the guy, it's a big difference in $ but yeah I get what you're saying. Thanks

From what I've gathered over the years...a 27 mcat -ish (old scoring) will get you around 220-230 on step 1 and 2. If you want to compare yourself to how you will do in the future. The guy in Bakersfield doing his Anaesthesiology residency had a 38 MCAT with 250 step 1 his GPA from University was 2.8 though which is why he didn't get into a US school. I believe avg for Anesthesiology is 230, I'm not sure though.
Very interesting I didn't know that. But still, if that were the case, wouldn't more IMS find their way into Anesthesiologist residencies? I'm sure a decent number scored around a 27.

Very interesting I didn't know that. But still, if that were the case, wouldn't more IMS find their way into Anesthesiologist residencies? I'm sure a decent number scored around a 27.

Not many people I've talked to wanted to go into Anesthesiology (5 I know of and they were all excellent students). If it's about the money...sure go into it. But lifestyle and career satisfaction is just important as making 500k/yr. Nobody's starving off of a 200k/yr salary.

BTW, AUC cutoff for MCAT is 24. I knew a black girl who scored 18 and was still let in. She's doing residency now somewhere in the South.

Last edited:
Not many people I've talked to wanted to go into Anesthesiology (5 I know of and they were all excellent students). If it's about the money...sure go into it. But lifestyle and career satisfaction is just important as making 500k/yr. Nobody's starving off of a 200k/yr salary.

BTW, AUC cutoff for MCAT is 24. I knew a black girl who scored 18 and was still let in. She's doing residency now somewhere in the South.
Not true I don't think. I originally scored a 23 when I took the exam when I was very sick and I was accepted there. Granted my GPA is pretty decent but still. I have since retaken the MCAT and done much better but am still in that middle ground where I might be able to get a spot if I reapply. Idk need some time to think it over. AUC has a winter session that students can apply for, right?

Not true I don't think. I originally scored a 23 when I took the exam when I was very sick and I was accepted there. Granted my GPA is pretty decent but still. I have since retaken the MCAT and done much better but am still in that middle ground where I might be able to get a spot if I reapply. Idk need some time to think it over. AUC has a winter session that students can apply for, right?

January, May, September. Rolling application, if you don't want to start one semester they'll push you to the next one. Sept is the largest. They just built a new building with new Anatomy lab, auditorium, new basketball court, gym, etc....probably put 100 million into it total.

Another outlier...but there was one student who did well enough that he transferred to a US med school. Actually there's been several but this one I actually have met before.

AUCers are close with each other. It's like a family. Haven't seen that with Ross or SGU because their class sizes are so massive. Plus I've heard bad things about the curriculum in Ross and SGU even though their students turn out to be excellent as well. Ross and AUC are both under DeVry now so you'll get a lot of changes from before. But remember, the doc from Miami who got fired for attacking an Uber driver was SGU! lol

Last edited:
Im in a good spot in life but i wish i had parents that held me accountable and were involved in my studies growing up. Im always going to wonder if i could have cut it in law or medicine. I went back to college at 30 and held a 4.0 but i quit when a great job opportunity came up. I was amazed at how easy school is when you work at it and i was told by teachers my whole life im an underachiever, just never cared.

The real doctors will never respect you. If you can handle that then I say go for it.
Lol okay. The era we live in where we put pharmacy reps/salesmen on some high pedestal. All TS has to do is mad dog him or flex his muscles. FYI 99% of docs are betas and dweeps. They back off quickly at any physical confrontation.

And dont the PAs have to do that nasty stuff for the doctors. LIke once I had hemmorhoids, and I think it is the PA who had to clean out my rectum first, and then keep her hand up my anus to keep the wound from reopening.

That was too much detail I know.
Did you at least get her number? You know she would be down for butt stuff...

don't go to the carribean unless you're desperate

.. if you can't get into an allopathic school.. go osteopathic.. as long you don't believe their quack OMM shit..

Back