Anyone here a fan of the straight left?

Jimmy Jazz

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
I've seen bas rutten and john wayne parr throw it alot. Any tips for how to use it in general or perhaps as part of a combination?

Last edited:
Damn that straight left is stronger than my right

I'm not. It's telegraphed, doesn't allow you to follow up and doesn't have half the power of the straight right. You're giving up all the benefits of the jab for nothing in return.

I'm not. It's telegraphed, doesn't allow you to follow up and doesn't have half the power of the straight right. You're giving up all the benefits of the jab for nothing in return.
I guess you are talking for boxing not muay thai or kickboxing right? In the video I posted JWP did double it up and also added the cross. Do you think most punches in kb are telegraphed?

so whats the difference between a jab and a straight left? in terms of mechanics

so whats the difference between a jab and a straight left? in terms of mechanics
You're transferring all your weight on your front foot, which puts you in an awful position if the punch doesn't connect.

I guess that's basically just a variation of a power jab.

Sergey Kovalev throws a lot of power jabs, if you want to have a powerful and intimidating jab (you can call it a 'straight left' if you want, basically the jab is a straight left anyway) you should study him. He has other boxers visibly hurt and intimidated even with jabs to the body. He also sometimes ends his combos with the jab, often throwing what's essentially a 1-2-1 combo.

I guess that's basically just a variation of a power jab.

Sergey Kovalev throws a lot of power jabs, if you want to have a powerful and intimidating jab (you can call it a 'straight left' if you want, basically the jab is a straight left anyway) you should study him. He has other boxers visibly hurt and intimidated even with jabs to the body. He also sometimes ends his combos with the jab, often throwing what's essentially a 1-2-1 combo.

A straight left after a right handed punch is money if done right.

Golovkin currently has the best power jab by far. It's more powerful than Ward's and doesn't require him to over-commit like Kovakev's.

I used to train with a former pro that liked to use a multi-step 1-2-1-2 etc. so that aside from the first jab everything was a "straight rear hand". It was weird, but he liked it.

I used to train with a former pro that liked to use a multi-step 1-2-1-2 etc. so that aside from the first jab everything was a "straight rear hand". It was weird, but he liked it.
you mean like walking forward?

Yodsanklai does something similar although the motion is almost like a hook with the elbows a bit flared out, but the hand goes forward and not in a circular motion. Looks effective to me

Well, yeah. I'm left handed.

In June fan Jeet kune do, the whole stance and structure is designed roughly around being able to deliver "the straight lead" as they call it, and will argue the differences on why its not a power jab. I have had some formal training with JKD guys though I am by no means a JKD guy just have a little first hand experience. Here is a video explaining how they do it.

In June fan Jeet kune do, the whole stance and structure is designed roughly around being able to deliver "the straight lead" as they call it, and will argue the differences on why its not a power jab. I have had some formal training with JKD guys though I am by no means a JKD guy just have a little first hand experience. Here is a video explaining how they do it.

That lools very uncomfortable with the lead foot planted. Why not just throw a lead uppercut instead

yeah you're def right about that. how do you get away with it? do you throw it differently?

Timing mostly. The easiest time to practice it is when someone is stepping forward expecting you to keep retreating.

Back