Anyone heard of Project Ara?

JosephDredd

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
From Wiki:

Project Ara is the codename for an initiative by Google that aims to develop an open hardware[citation needed] platform for creating highly modular smartphones. The platform will include a structural frame (endoskeleton that holds smartphone modules of the owner's choice, such as a display, camera or an extra battery. It would allow users to swap out malfunctioning modules or upgrade individual modules as innovations emerge, providing longer lifetime cycles for the handset, and potentially reducing electronic waste.[4][5] A market pilot for Project Ara is scheduled for early 2015 with a target bill of materials cost of $50 for a basic grey phone.[6][7] The project was originally headed by the Advanced Technologies and Projects team within Motorola Mobility while it was a subsidiary of Google. Although Google had sold Motorola to Lenovo, it is retaining the project team who will work under the direction of the Android division.[8]

This thing sounds amazing. Anyone who has used modular products in the past (for me, film cameras) know how great this could be. Except film cameras don't steal your personal information. :eek:

6932602-projekt-ara.jpg

project_ara_632x403.jpg

I have seen it but not sure how I'd like it. Pretty far out there with all the pieces etc.

It's a good idea if they can find a good way to make it user friendly and reliable.

Back