Anyone have some info on John Danaher?

How is it that there are no videos on this guy? HTH can I have more of an internet/youtube presence?

If you search on sherdog there was an article about him and a video with it where he broke down the GSP-Dan Hardy fight. I've also seen one where he and Phil Nurse talk about GSP on some sports show.

My wife told me I started talking to him in whole foods one day about nothing and brought this up when she's like "Who's that dude with the come over on TV? I think you saw him in Whole foods once"-

this is after I said I never met him and she was like- yea you did!

Took a class from him while I was at Renzo's for a weekend. I thought it was a little funny that he wore shorts with the gi top. But once he started teaching you forget that and see he's supernatural at teaching BJJ. I was lucky as it seemed like the group of people that went down from my school about 10-15 of us had his class to ourselves. He was very soft spoken almost hard to hear.

Does John train or teach in the Gi anymore?

do you prefer his gi style or his no gi style in the content he teaches?

Not sure if you're asking me, but I enjoy them both equally. Most of the game John teaches, like Renzo's game, works for both gi and no-gi. There are naturally some grip modifications and a few moves that require the gi, but in general there is a great deal of overlap. The biggest differences occur in stand-up, as John spends half of every class going over throwing and takedown techniques. My personal preference is for stand-up in the gi, but that's more a reflection of what works for my gripping abilities (I have only one hand) than it is of John's style.

Not sure if you're asking me, but I enjoy them both equally. Most of the game John teaches, like Renzo's game, works for both gi and no-gi. There are naturally some grip modifications and a few moves that require the gi, but in general there is a great deal of overlap. The biggest differences occur in stand-up, as John spends half of every class going over throwing and takedown techniques. My personal preference is for stand-up in the gi, but that's more a reflection of what works for my gripping abilities (I have only one hand) than it is of John's style.

With guard work, does John focus more on any specific guards?

I've done nogi classes with john for about 3 years and he usually focuses on butterflys. He'll do a bit on closed guard work, but it's not a heavy focus. Now I'm only talking about nogi, I haven't done enough gi classes with him to comment on that. He's nogi is like a hybrid combo of bjj, catch, with some freestyle. It's a great combo.

With guard work, does John focus more on any specific guards?

Something I wrote in the other thread: "As far as specific guards go, there is probably more of a focus on X-guard, butterfly guard, and variations on the closed guard. If I had to hazard a guess, I would suppose that John prefers these over such approaches as spider guard and de la riva guard because they work well both with and without a gi. But it could be a body-type consideration or simply personal preference."

Back