Anyone have feelings on Ellenburger quitting?

Ellenberger beat himself more than Robbie did. I don't know if there is even a way to make yourself mentally tough.

As for Robbie, I wish he gets the title rematch after Woodley. Meanwhile he can may be derail the matt Brown hype train. With all due respect to Robbie, I still don't think he can beat Hendricks. He had his best chance against a torn bicep, fractured shin , fucked up weight cut Hendricks and he failed to take it. This time it may not be that close. Only time will tell though.
That list of excuses is hliarious.

Robbie wins the rematch

he was punched in the eye and then took a flying knee in the same area. complained to the ref that there was an eye poke (which there wasn't) because he couldn't see.

Kinda tough to continue when you can't see and keep taking knees & punches from a power striker like Lawler.

Rory/Tyron for the next shot. Lawler vs the winner of Lombard/Kim for the next one. Matt Brown vs Nick if he steps up. If not, Brown vs Tarec.

I must say that is some impressive match-making. Very nice indeed.

I like Jake but he seems to have a bully mentality. When it's going good he's strong. He can blitz you at the start. If you start imposing your will on him, he starts to fold.

His fight with Rick Story is the best example. It's funny cause I think Rick Story is kind of the same way.

Diego Sanchez would have most likely finished him if he had 1 more round.

I agree with this.

Well, this is what happens when you train with Ronda's striking coach.

he did get hit in the eye right before the finish, so I doubt he seen the punch that dropped him, and Robbie hits pretty hard. its a shame but shit happens. Jake is still a top fighter imo

There are fighters who overcome the toughest situations...example Edgar. Those are the makings of champions...
Then there are fighters who are good when the fights is going their way and crumbles when things do not.

Jake needs either a new camp, a sports psychologist, or both. Even Faber broke his hand once, he just started to use elbows. Can't quit just cause you're scared.

Ellenberger vs Story rematch to co-headline a Fight Night card.

I don't care if he gets KTFO in ten straight fights, the dude broke Jake Shields. That should give him automatic respect for life.

I like Jake but he seems to have a bully mentality. When it's going good he's strong. He can blitz you at the start. If you start imposing your will on him, he starts to fold.

His fight with Rick Story is the best example. It's funny cause I think Rick Story is kind of the same way.

Diego Sanchez would have most likely finished him if he had 1 more round.

Story treated him like a bitch dayumn. Jake's middle finger is just embarrassing as is him mean mugging Kampmann after getting KOd.

LOL @ people saying he didn't quit. He checked out after the first, had a brief moment of a gutsy performance, but hurt is hand and checked out completely. He was just looking for a reason to quit so he turtled after the knee.

Compare his effort compared to Varners..you'll see someone who quit vs someone who gutted it out.

I don't care if he gets KTFO in ten straight fights, the dude broke Jake Shields. That should give him automatic respect for life.

Shields' dad died just beforehand. I think he gets a pass for that one.

Ellenburger just cant handle adversity, and if things arent going his way he gives up, he even landed the hardest punch of the fight and had Laweler hurt moments before he wilted

Exactly. Some are just made that way.

I think his main problem is being too one dimensional. Notice almost all his fights he relied on his power punches and nothing else. He just doesn't mix things up and a questionable gas tank. Overall, he doesn't have what it take to be UFC WW champion. Such a shame, Jake was one of my favorite MMA fighter.

He's done as a fighter now....he should start coaching. When a guy gets gun shy like he is...there is no coming back.

Ellenberger beat himself more than Robbie did.

34254-1-550x550.jpg

Hes a mentally weak fighter IMO, he came to the fight with lawler already defeated. I think his nerves get the best of him and he psychs himself out, he doesnt commit to his strikes and is gun shy.

Back