Anyone have feelings on Ellenburger quitting?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Mattitude V1, May 26, 2014.

1. Mattitude V1

Mattitude V1 WAR CONDIT

He lost the first two rounds clearly. Sadly when he fired on Lawler in the third, he looked to have busted his hand.

When Lawler kept pressing him and popped him, he folded.

That was the craziest moment of the night for me because of how bad ass it made Lawler come off.

Lawler even said afterwards that his plan was to make him quit.

Anyone think Lawler takes the Hendricks rematch? I hope he doesn't, because I'm such a big fan of Riggs, but I'm definitely looking forward to them meeting again.

2. Hatestorm

Hatestorm P4P Hottest Smelling Avatar

He turtled and quit against Kampmann too. I remember there was a meme about it,

[​IMG]

3. Bubson Bubba

Bubson Bubba Purple Belt

Ellenberger beat himself more than Robbie did. I don't know if there is even a way to make yourself mentally tough.

As for Robbie, I wish he gets the title rematch after Woodley. Meanwhile he can may be derail the matt Brown hype train. With all due respect to Robbie, I still don't think he can beat Hendricks. He had his best chance against a torn bicep, fractured shin , fucked up weight cut Hendricks and he failed to take it. This time it may not be that close. Only time will tell though.

4. Bubson Bubba

Bubson Bubba Purple Belt

BTW I think Ellenberger should consider changing camp. Edmond is a nutcase. Too much exposure to Edmond can ruin you if you are not Ronda.

5. Loddsy

Loddsy White Belt

Ellenberger dropping to Wonderboy level fighters.

6. biscuitsbrah

biscuitsbrah Red Belt

You can tell he doesn't like getting hit. Jabs from rory was enough to keep him tentative all night.

7. DezWalker

DezWalker MMA Stats geek

I thought this thread was about Jake retiring and I was coming on here to agree.

Dude does not belong in the top 10 and I don't like his chances against anyone on there. If he is going to stick around and keep fighting, he should be semi-main eventing Fight Pass shows against top prospects at this point.

8. eon001

eon001 Red Belt

Jake seemed so gun shy. If he fought like he did against Nate Marquart, he would have stood a better chance. He seemed to wake up in the 3rd, but he should have done that shit in the 1st.
    That being said, Lawler looked the best I've ever seen him. Very fast and throwing technical strikes. Alot of variety too.

9. KantoTerror

KantoTerror Silver Belt

There are fighters who overcome the toughest situations...example Edgar. Those are the makings of champions...
    Then there are fighters who are good when the fights is going their way and crumbles when things do not.

10. CarloSpcyWeiner

CarloSpcyWeiner Desert Eagle, .50 Platinum Member

Jesus, how many BS excuses did Hendricks and his fans make for that close fight?

11. jkthenatural

jkthenatural Snake In The Grass

Wow, no

12. Shocktagon

Shocktagon Brown Belt

Unfortunate to see but as a mere spectator, I will not speculate or criticize too much. Can't imagine that feeling at all, especially fighting Robbie Lawler.

As for a Hendricks/Lawler rematch, I side with the champ on that.

13. loyalyolayal

loyalyolayal Steel Belt

Im sure lawler punching him in the face was a non-factor.

14. Dethrone1989

Dethrone1989 Brown Belt

I think he went the entire 1st rd with only throwing like 2 strikes. He has good hands, he's just too tentative to throw. He seems to be fading out of top 10 status. I dont think he's going to stick around in the game for much longer. He's always said this isnt a super long term thing.

15. tmer25

tmer25 Green Belt

I've been kinda hoping they use Ellenburger as Gastelum's step up into the top 10. Kelvin would mop him.

16. Gorilllla

Gorilllla Blue Belt

He needs to take some time out and see a sports psychologist on a regular basis. It's all in his head.

17. Matt4786

Matt4786 Gold Belt

This is kinda mean, but Ellengberger is your typical frontrunner, much like Overeem or Tyson. He looks like a world beater until someone fights back.

18. Namek

Namek Brown Belt

I like Jake but he seems to have a bully mentality. When it's going good he's strong. He can blitz you at the start. If you start imposing your will on him, he starts to fold.

His fight with Rick Story is the best example. It's funny cause I think Rick Story is kind of the same way.

Diego Sanchez would have most likely finished him if he had 1 more round.

19. MCS

MCS Gold Belt

he was punched in the eye and then took a flying knee in the same area. complained to the ref that there was an eye poke (which there wasn't) because he couldn't see.

Kinda tough to continue when you can't see and keep taking knees & punches from a power striker like Lawler.

Rory/Tyron for the next shot. Lawler vs the winner of Lombard/Kim for the next one. Matt Brown vs Nick if he steps up. If not, Brown vs Tarec.

20. Bigfoot Sylvia

Bigfoot Sylvia Banned Banned

I didn't think he quit. As soon as that knee landed I was shouting "Stop the fight!" Nobody could have recovered from that shit.