Anyone have exp starting their own brand?

muaytao

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I know the boxing gloves market is saturated. But I want to create my own boxing glove brand. I want to create winning velcro replica. I am aware of ring to cage c17 but they look terrible IMO. I want to create it so that it looks exactly like a winning glove without their logo and at a cheaper price. I know I can’t match winnings quality but I feel like I can at least match their style glove. I already have a manufacturer sourced. I just want to hear what you guys think.

I know the boxing gloves market is saturated. But I want to create my own boxing glove brand. I want to create winning velcro replica. I am aware of ring to cage c17 but they look terrible IMO. I want to create it so that it looks exactly like a winning glove without their logo and at a cheaper price. I know I can’t match winnings quality but I feel like I can at least match their style glove. I already have a manufacturer sourced. I just want to hear what you guys think.
Loads of fake winning and winning clones out there I don’t see the point. Assuming the manufacturer you have sourced is Pakistan or Chinese will just be like all the generic gloves out there.

Unless you was going to innovate and try and do something different and produce something of quality like mxn/Salvador that can stand by itself I personally wouldn’t bother

Loads of fake winning and winning clones out there I don’t see the point. Assuming the manufacturer you have sourced is Pakistan or Chinese will just be like all the generic gloves out there.

Unless you was going to innovate and try and do something different and produce something of quality like mxn/Salvador that can stand by itself I personally wouldn’t bother
Show me some winning clone with the winning strap

It's expensive, time-consuming and stressful with moments of absolute despair and disappointment.

But when it clicks...

Show me some winning clone with the winning strap
Winning velco have the worst wrist support and closure on any gloves anywhere why would you want to replicate that?

Winning velco have the worst wrist support and closure on any gloves anywhere why would you want to replicate that?
Because i like the style of the gloves

So im going to be honest why try to replicate winning if you can make something more protective if that was the case I would be interested

So im going to be honest why try to replicate winning if you can make something more protective if that was the case I would be interested
Because I want to offer people winning style gloves that are not $300+

Because I want to offer people winning style gloves that are not $300+
Type winning gloves into eBay and there is plenty of choice for <$100 I am sure plenty of Chinese and Pakistani firms will stick your logo on a pair if that’s what you are after

Type winning gloves into eBay and there is plenty of choice for <$100 I am sure plenty of Chinese and Pakistani firms will stick your logo on a pair if that’s what you are after
Show me these winning gloves that are $100

Show me these winning gloves that are $100
I’m not in manufacturing but I am a consumer. When I look for a pair of good gloves, I usually have a very specific need in mind. For instance, I just bought an 18 oz pair of very good gloves for sparring. I just retired the exact same brand/weight/style of glove and needed a replacement. I needed lace ups for wrist support. I needed great padding while still being able to clench my fist (hollow hand fist). I needed durability. I train for boxing not muay thai so I wanted a long cuff. With these criteria in place, I went with what I know. That is your dilemma. You have to persuade the consumer that what you offer is substantial enough to change from what they know. Or, you have to offer to fill the mental checklist (criteria referenced above or other) better than what they know. If you asked me to name 3 brands of gloves to fill my needs I can do so off the top of my head. Most committed to training on a serious level can also list 3 brands that they prefer. You mentioned Winning. I own a pair and seldom use them. They are great for sparring, considered the best. They are good on the mitts and double end. They are good on a light bag or aqua bag. But if you want to really bear down on a 200lb heavy bag, there are better options. My choice of gloves are good for sparring, great when broke in, great on the mitts and double end, great on the light bag and THE very best glove ever made on the heavy bag. By way of illustration, you would need to convince me what you offer meets those needs better than what I know. Now I don’t know what particular use you have in mind. You mentioned the velcro strap. You offer the consumer the ability to train alone or put on gloves without help. You mentioned cost. You offer the closest thing to Winning, padding, leather quality, construction and durability without needing a 2nd mortgage for an amateur or non-professional. Winning has also began to address their customer service. Not by Winning the manufacturer themselves, but by the retailers who offer these gloves. You go to the retailer and if they can’t solve your problem, they go to Winning. You circumvent that by offering your gloves with great after-sale customer service. The customer can call or e-mail you and you address their concern. The secret to these top shelf boxing glove brands are two fold. Impeccable quality control and material sourcing. They make the gloves. They are not “sourced” to manufacturers and sold with their label. Ask Everlast, Ringside and Title what happens when you source your manufacturing. Never-ever-ever make a bag of plastic with padding and call it your “pro-style training glove”. I can still find Grant toy gloves at some retailers. The need to increase your business should never come at a discount. That is a move to being out of business. Charge what your gloves are worth and the consumer will pay you that price. No one will fault you for making a profit. But are Winning gloves worth $300-600 because of how they well they meet your needs (or) are you paying more because of another reason. There are 3 professional boxers currently training at my gym for a show in Houston. They are all from Mexico. One of them came to the gym with Reebok boxing shoes in his bag. I speak Spanish and his friends wore his a** out with the Reebok jokes. He never wore the shoes while he was there. Why did he come to the gym with Mexican sparring partners and replace his well made Mexican training shoes with Reebok? These guys are serious pros and are well equipped with great gear. Was it because they fill his needs better? Or, was it because as a young fighter, he saw a pro he admires wearing them. This is a long winded way of saying what do you offer in your gloves that makes someone who knows Winning change his mind. The answer to that question will make or break you.

I think boxing gloves would be a very difficult market to break out in. Without massive money and/or celebrity endorsement you're just going to be competing with all the other no name brand boxing gloves, regardless of quality. If someone does want a quality boxing glove there are already big name brands that are respected for their quality and already have celebrity endorsement.

Appreciate that @RDL81
The compliment is earned my friend. Your gloves are awesome. I cannot describe how satisfying it is to hear that sound your glove makes when I throw a hook and the knuckles make contact on a heavy bag or my sparring partner’s headgear.

I’m not in manufacturing but I am a consumer. When I look for a pair of good gloves, I usually have a very specific need in mind. For instance, I just bought an 18 oz pair of very good gloves for sparring. I just retired the exact same brand/weight/style of glove and needed a replacement. I needed lace ups for wrist support. I needed great padding while still being able to clench my fist (hollow hand fist). I needed durability. I train for boxing not muay thai so I wanted a long cuff. With these criteria in place, I went with what I know. That is your dilemma. You have to persuade the consumer that what you offer is substantial enough to change from what they know. Or, you have to offer to fill the mental checklist (criteria referenced above or other) better than what they know. If you asked me to name 3 brands of gloves to fill my needs I can do so off the top of my head. Most committed to training on a serious level can also list 3 brands that they prefer. You mentioned Winning. I own a pair and seldom use them. They are great for sparring, considered the best. They are good on the mitts and double end. They are good on a light bag or aqua bag. But if you want to really bear down on a 200lb heavy bag, there are better options. My choice of gloves are good for sparring, great when broke in, great on the mitts and double end, great on the light bag and THE very best glove ever made on the heavy bag. By way of illustration, you would need to convince me what you offer meets those needs better than what I know. Now I don’t know what particular use you have in mind. You mentioned the velcro strap. You offer the consumer the ability to train alone or put on gloves without help. You mentioned cost. You offer the closest thing to Winning, padding, leather quality, construction and durability without needing a 2nd mortgage for an amateur or non-professional. Winning has also began to address their customer service. Not by Winning the manufacturer themselves, but by the retailers who offer these gloves. You go to the retailer and if they can’t solve your problem, they go to Winning. You circumvent that by offering your gloves with great after-sale customer service. The customer can call or e-mail you and you address their concern. The secret to these top shelf boxing glove brands are two fold. Impeccable quality control and material sourcing. They make the gloves. They are not “sourced” to manufacturers and sold with their label. Ask Everlast, Ringside and Title what happens when you source your manufacturing. Never-ever-ever make a bag of plastic with padding and call it your “pro-style training glove”. I can still find Grant toy gloves at some retailers. The need to increase your business should never come at a discount. That is a move to being out of business. Charge what your gloves are worth and the consumer will pay you that price. No one will fault you for making a profit. But are Winning gloves worth $300-600 because of how they well they meet your needs (or) are you paying more because of another reason. There are 3 professional boxers currently training at my gym for a show in Houston. They are all from Mexico. One of them came to the gym with Reebok boxing shoes in his bag. I speak Spanish and his friends wore his a** out with the Reebok jokes. He never wore the shoes while he was there. Why did he come to the gym with Mexican sparring partners and replace his well made Mexican training shoes with Reebok? These guys are serious pros and are well equipped with great gear. Was it because they fill his needs better? Or, was it because as a young fighter, he saw a pro he admires wearing them. This is a long winded way of saying what do you offer in your gloves that makes someone who knows Winning change his mind. The answer to that question will make or break you.
Nice post but you’ve got me curious now...what brand of 18 oz gloves did you recently purchase?

Back