Anyone have any info on Kevin 'Conan' Bankens

Daveb

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Kevin Conan Bankens :: Home

Anyone know of this guy? His website says he's a Jiu Jitsu Blackbelt first degree but I can't seem to find who gave it to him. He's teaching Brazilian Jiu Jitsu at a Kenpo school in Santa Fe New Mexico.

He thanks Lake Area BJJ and I called over there. I was told he did train there but didn't receive his black belt there

Controlling the forearm not the bicep while attacking for an armbar from mount makes me wonder

No clue, but I am always very wary of instructors who tout stacked credentials like this:

Conan Bankens is one of the most sought after MMA/Combat and Edged weapon instructors in the Western United state of America.

Conan Bankens after serving and working with the Marine corps Scout Sniper and infantry units for nearly 5 yrs has also work very closely with the Army Rangers, Army National guard, Army air guard, Navy Seal team 5, Military police, D.E.A, F.B.I, Local and state police, security agents, Members of Black water security,
and many other individuals and agencies.

Conan has been in the Martial arts world now for 32 years.
Beginning his journey in Shotokan karate. Where he received his first black belt. He then wanted to learn more about striking so he began western boxing under the infamous Olympic coach Henry Sims in LA. Where he trained for several years to perfect his hands.
Wanting to put his whole body together he sought out the coaching of 2 time national and 3 time state Kickboxing Champion Brent Fabacher.

No clue, but I am always very wary of instructors who tout stacked credentials like this:

Thats exactly why I got curious. I don't know the guy and he might be legit but just thought I'd ask

Kevin & I grew up in the same small town. He has practiced the martial arts from the time of middle school at least (6th grade -8th grade). Possibly earlier than that. I have personally seen him kick at least 5 senior's asses when he and I were just freshmen. They foolishly attempted to throw us in the showers with our clothes on for initiation. Even back then Kevin was Aggressive & fearlesss (1983 before Everyone and his brother wanted to cage fight). I know for a fact he did time in the Marines also. Kevin has practiced Martial Arts for around 30 years now. He has some excellent instructional videos on Youtube. He runs his own Dojo in New Mexico. He is the real deal. Kevin is an animal... If you doubt his credintials then call him up and ask him personally....he is super cool. It wouldn't surprise me if he had multiple belts.........30 years is a long time to train.

Kevin & I grew up in the same small town. He has practiced the martial arts from the time of middle school at least (6th grade -8th grade). Possibly earlier than that. I have personally seen him kick at least 5 senior's asses when he and I were just freshmen. They foolishly attempted to throw us in the showers with our clothes on for initiation. Even back then Kevin was Aggressive & fearlesss (1983 before Everyone and his brother wanted to cage fight). I know for a fact he did time in the Marines also. Kevin has practiced Martial Arts for around 30 years now. He has some excellent instructional videos on Youtube. He runs his own Dojo in New Mexico. He is the real deal. Kevin is an animal... If you doubt his credintials then call him up and ask him personally....he is super cool. It wouldn't surprise me if he had multiple belts.........30 years is a long time to train.

Where did he earn his BJJ black belt?

thanks random, unverified guy who signed up just to respond to this... all sorted!!

Fuck bro, why didn't you say that sooner? Where do I sign up?

Kevin is right here. You can ask him personally.

oh my god this thread is gold. i hope the admins will forgive me for thread necromancy on grounds of just how classic this thread is.

random, unverified guy who revived a then two-year-old thread to post that happens to have the same spelling mistakes (peculiarly using incorrect vowels in words when he replies to comments, such as "flexability" and "credintials"...

he even trolls his own videos posing as his daughter saying great things about her dad.

if you search for his name on google images, the first pictures are his recent mugshots from 2012 for a stint in santa fe county prison.

SO MUCH LOL

I don't remember this thread! Hahah. What ever happened with this guy?

Where are the videos mophoplz??

Not sure how much weight this post will carry around here, but I have posted a few times over the years, so if I am a dummy account it would have taken a lot of planning.

I cannot speak to his lineage, but I have trained with Kevin and can verify that he is at least above a brown belt skill-wise, as I've seen him roll with a strong one and dominate. If he is a fake, he's a damn good one.

Kevin Conan Bankens :: Home

Anyone know of this guy? His website says he's a Jiu Jitsu Blackbelt first degree but I can't seem to find who gave it to him. He's teaching Brazilian Jiu Jitsu at a Kenpo school in Santa Fe New Mexico.

He thanks Lake Area BJJ and I called over there. I was told he did train there but didn't receive his black belt there
I am Kevin Bankens.
I am a Black belt under Randy lasu Roger under the Machado brothers.
I earned my 1st black from Professor Carlos Machado himself.
My Jiu-jitsu academy is Bankens Mountain Martial Arts in Los Alamos NM.
I have been doing Martial arts now for almost 40 yrs now.
I also hold a 2nd degree brown belt in Judo under the usja you can pull that up if you like or call them.

I helped to start the academy known as Labjj. never said they gave me my black belt. I did thank them for being my beginning and staying by my side.

I am the 2015 Heavy weight New Mexico state Judo silver medalist.

OH yes I was arrested 4 years ago for defending someone who was being attacked down town Santa fe.
Did I leave anything out hmmmmmm.
Well if anyone wants to call me instead of putting something on the internet without fact my number is 505-490-0491.
have a great day everyone.

Kevin Bankens

I am Kevin Bankens.
I am a Black belt under Randy lasu Roger under the Machado brothers.
I earned my 1st black from Professor Carlos Machado himself.
My Jiu-jitsu academy is Bankens Mountain Martial Arts in Los Alamos NM.
I have been doing Martial arts now for almost 40 yrs now.
I also hold a 2nd degree brown belt in Judo under the usja you can pull that up if you like or call them.

I helped to start the academy known as Labjj. never said they gave me my black belt. I did thank them for being my beginning and staying by my side.

I am the 2015 Heavy weight New Mexico state Judo silver medalist.

OH yes I was arrested 4 years ago for defending someone who was being attacked down town Santa fe.
Did I leave anything out hmmmmmm.
Well if anyone wants to call me instead of putting something on the internet without fact my number is 505-490-0491.
have a great day everyone.

Kevin Bankens

sooooo... is what westlake ram said true? did you beat up 5 seniors?

It's possible Kevin had no official rank when he first read this thread in 2010, panicked, and then legitimately earned his black belt. And responded soon as he got it.

Probably not though… but would be a cool story.

Back