Anyone have an explanation of this move

killedsirius

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I saw this move in Klitschko's video online at 1.39. He does it twice. As far as i can see he blocks the hook and pivots before the right hand. It looks like a very handy move but was wondering if anyone has a detailed breakdown of how it's done, weight transfers, head positiontiong, counters etc.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1Fd1JLEiaE

It's exactly what it looks like. Turn your upper body a little to catch the hook, your weight shifts a bit to the front foot. Turn your left foot inwards (toe points in, heel turns out to your left) and swing your rear foot around as your weight shifts back to your rear foot. Make sure the chin is tucked and posture is good. Just a standard pivot off a block, you end up basically shoulder rolling the punch if you don't get out of the way entirely.

It's exactly what it looks like. Turn your upper body a little to catch the hook, your weight shifts a bit to the front foot. Turn your left foot inwards (toe points in, heel turns out to your left) and swing your rear foot around as your weight shifts back to your rear foot. Make sure the chin is tucked and posture is good. Just a standard pivot off a block, you end up basically shoulder rolling the punch if you don't get out of the way entirely.

Deadly thanks! yeah i was wondering about the shoulder positions and stuff. he looks like he stands tall enough doing it? I imagine timing is paramount?

Deadly thanks! yeah i was wondering about the shoulder positions and stuff. he looks like he stands tall enough doing it? I imagine timing is paramount?

Timing is huge of course. The best time I've found to use this move is when the opponent steps offline to land throw their rear hand. Here, this is the most clear example I've seen:

makdessi-forte.gif

Forte steps offline with no jab or setup or anything, so Makdessi easily sees his big right hand coming. He shifts his weight back and pivots his rear foot, ending up at the perfect inside angle and landing a tight straight right. His pivot takes him out of the path of the right hand. This isn't the most technically perfect example though. His upper body is more squared than it should be and his rear foot shoots out too far behind him. His shoulder isn't in position to deflect the shot so he has to pull back farther. Either way, the footwork is pretty easy to see so I like this example.

Thanks! Yeah I was kinda sure what the footwork might be but the other bits like how square to be etc, shoulder up was very much appreciatez thanks!

Back