Anyone have a Springfield XD or XDM?

Discussion in 'Weapons and Tactics' started by WorldofWarcraft, Oct 21, 2010.

1. WorldofWarcraft

WorldofWarcraft Holy Paladin Banned

Just bought a Springfield XDM 9mm 3.8" barrel earlier. Used, with Trijicon Tritium night sights for $650.

Went through about 300 rounds and color me impressed. Very accurate gun. Low recoil and I love the trigger.

2. finnegan

finnegan Mountains and Fleas

That's a little pricey for my area (used 9mm and .40sw around here w/ Tritium goes about $500). Man, I wish I'd have gotten an XD instead of the PX4 Storm in .40. Love my gun, but for a "need to shoot right fucking now" gun, the XD beats it in spades.

3. stringygerm

stringygerm KTM Duke 690

XD with a Lasermax internal laser and Streamlight 3 LED on the rail - beside the bed gun, hence all the lighting

4. theoberman

theoberman Orange Belt

Didn't you just buy an SR9?

5. CarloSpcyWeiner

CarloSpcyWeiner Desert Eagle, .50 Platinum Member

Cause the XD is just so much damn better. I posted a thread in here about how I was looking to get an inexpensive 9mm, and the SR9 and XD were two of the choices. I went to the range to try them a second time, and the XD out shot the SR9 with ease. More accuracy, better trigger, and surprisingly more comfortable in my opinion.

EDIT: Ooops, misread your post. Thought you said why didn't you just buy an SR9 :redface:

6. WorldofWarcraft

XD or XDM isn't "so much better" than the SR9. You shot the XDM better because of the its trigger. Not sure about the XD, but I'm assuming it has the same trigger as the XDM, which is single-action-like. The SR9 has a longer, not as smooth, trigger pull and takes some getting used to. Accuracy is all in the trigger and how you handle it. It takes less time to get used to the XD or XDM trigger than the SR9's.

I get a lot of people coming up to me all the time at the range and asking me what super gun I'm using where I out shoot their thousand dollar pistols. Then I ask to borrow their guns and I'd shoot 3" groupings at 15-17 yards.

I can shoot circles around people with a sig 210 while using a cheap sigma.

Yes, I buy a new gun every month.

7. Perplexy

Perplexy .

Its been a good pistol to me, but I do think it is the ugliest pistol I own... I like everything else about it from the case it comes in with all the extra stuff to all the very nice safety features on the gun. Its the only .40 I have and that is a fun round to shoot also.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. WorldofWarcraft

I like the 3.8" better.

However, I hate the grip safety. I'm getting rid of mine or putting a hogue grip around it.

9. Perplexy

Perplexy .

I like full size service pistols better.

Lets see some pics of your gun man, post it up with a couple of those sweet AR's you have. And damn at buying 1 gun a month? You must be loaded to afford that type of investment plus ammo and maintenance cost and range fees... You must be up to what at least hundreds of guns by now? Most of them gotta be collecting dust at his point unless your at the range every night but I have a feeling that would cut into the WoW time....

10. CarloSpcyWeiner

Yes, it was mainly due to the trigger. I'd read up alot on each gun I was considering and heard that the SR9 had a gritty feel to the trigger, but thought they were exaggerating. Obviously they weren't. That, and the fact that the XD had a more overall comfortable feel, made the XD a better choice to me.

And I have to say, I'm impressed you manage to adjust to different handguns so well.

11. CarloSpcyWeiner

You prefer the PX-4 over the XDM?

12. WorldofWarcraft

Well, since I was working on it next to my computer and I have my iPhone, here you go. I need to get a good camera and make a "post your guns" thread. I'm gonna see if I can find some old pictures on my computer.

Also, I recommend doing trigger kits for your XDM:

PRP~ XD & XDM Perfection!

Also, I don't keep my guns, I resell or trade most of them. I'm very picky, thinking of actually trading this XDM for a CZ phantom 9mm.

[​IMG]

13. Perplexy

Perplexy .

Neither gun has given me problems so they are equally as good in my book, different strokes for different folks I suppose but I do love that PX4. I've gotten years of worry free use and have grown accustomed to the da/sa and soft reoil of 9mm rotating barrel. That being said if I was a cop I would almost certainly carry my XDm daily.

And that is a good philosophy WoW about recycling guns, I guess I grow too attached to my weapons to trade them but I can see how that would be awesome to always have new weapons.

I really like your pistol too, its a great looking gun and I will have to try one of the 3.8's to see how it compares to mine before I open my big mouth too much in the future.

14. Byron Pechorin

Byron Pechorin Top Level Human

I've got the 45 Compact. Love it.

15. CarloSpcyWeiner

I did get to shoot the PX-4 finally after my thread about buying a 9mm. I liked it, but the grip wasn't as comfy as the XD to me. I still have to shoot it more, but the trigger seemed good, I shot just fine with it, but the XD was almost perfect to me. That's just my opinion though.

You have quite the collection by the way :)

16. roundkick

roundkick Yellow Belt

I bought an xdm about 3 months ago. Shot about 300 rounds through it and love it.

17. oFUNGUSo

oFUNGUSo Red Belt

yup i have the bi-tone 3.8 9mm. love it.

actually, in hind site i wish i would have got the full legnth barrell, the shorter one is pretty pointless. dosnt make it any easier to conceal

either way, i love the gun. its been very reliable. ive put about 1500 rounds through it and ive only had two malfunctions (back to back rounds). failure to fire from a soft strike on the primer. upon investigation though, it was user error, i got a bunch of oil in the striker assembly and it got gunked up. since cleaning it out it has not happened again. so of course i dont count that against the gun

18. spicy(sfc)

spicy(sfc) Orange Belt

Dont forget the XDms come standard with match grade barrels. That sure doesnt hurt.

\owns a 4.5" XDm 40 and a 4" XD
    \\need a 3.8 to round out the collection
    \\\springfield needs to hurry up and put out a subcompact XDm

19. Chesten_Hesten

Chesten_Hesten The Wiener of Steel

I have an 5inch XD in 45ACP.

Bought fo $475.00 at a local Academy.

Had a trigger job done on it. It shoots good. Good gun.

20. oFUNGUSo

oFUNGUSo Red Belt

i have teh 3.8 9mm in bi-tone......love it but i wish i got the full sized barrell. honestly when im holding it, i feel like it looks funny.

other than it looking unbalanced to me i love it. ive put 1550 rounds through it and it functions flawlessly (besides a user error (got oil in the striker spring, and it caused a couple of light strikes, failure to fire from not enough impact on primer)

i would really like to get a springfield 1911 .45 for my next weapon......little more pricey though