Anyone have a pool?

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by WorldofWarcraft, May 25, 2014.

1. WorldofWarcraft

WorldofWarcraft Holy Paladin Banned

Anyone have a pool in the backyard and/or a jacuzzi? Did you have it built or was it already there when you moved in? How often do you use it?

Every single person I know who has bought a pool since I've known them has regretted paying thousands, if not tens of thousands of dollars to have a pool or jacuzzi in the backyard. Not only the initial cost of the purchase, but the maintenance, water bill, etc.. costs a lot over time.

I'm a CPO (certified pool operator) by the county, so I know a lot about them, but they just are not worth it. After the purchase, you and your kids might use them often, but in a short period of time, the pool gets rarely used... then things start to break down. Then you're looking at some serious money for repairs.

2. Genki Sudo II

Genki Sudo II Blue Steel Ferrari Le Tigre They're The Same Face! Banned

Quite odd sales pitch.

3. fingercuffs

fingercuffs and now my bitter hands Platinum Member

WoW, you're doing a really crap job at being a millionaire.

4. kjg1672

kjg1672 Brown Belt

Unless you live in Arizona or someplace similar, a pool has always seemed like a waste to me, too. Not to mention that I have little kids, and I'd be a nervous wreck an accident would happen.

5. WorldofWarcraft

It's the opposite of a sales pitch. Backyard pools are a monumental waste of money for almost everyone.

I live in Las Vegas and it's a waste over here, too. I was going to suggest going to a public pool instead of having one built or going to a waterpark, but the water is absolutely filled with disgusting shit from the other swimmers.

6. dittohead84

dittohead84 Silver Belt

Have a few of them, well not all on one property. Spread out between LA, London, Rome, and Cape Town. The one in London doesnt get as much use LOL

7. Terror Zone

Terror Zone Banned Banned

I used to jump in my pool every morning in lieu of showering. It went well with my sleeping on a couch in the backyard, surfing every day and drinking heavily.

8. Pliny Pete

Pliny Pete Puts Butts In Seats

I have a pool and a pond, pond would be good for you.

9. WorldofWarcraft

I helped a buddy build a koi pond and it turned out great. Don't know too much about how to care for them, though. But something like that is worth it, in my opinion. Same for gardens, flower beds, etc...

10. Kevin Rudd

Kevin Rudd Banned Banned

I believe backyard pools are not a waste of money if you have two things:

1. the right climate
    2. people who will use it regularly e.g. a young family

my dad has one at his home and it is definitely the right climate but it doesn't get used enough because he lives with his wife only and they both work.

It is a salt water pool and he runs the filter off peak to save on power so the cost is minimal. But still probably not appropriate for him to have one for reason number 2.

11. WorldofWarcraft

That's what everyone I know who has had a pool built thought. That kids would use it all the time... and the kids were the ones begging for it. But like I've said, it gets a lot of use at first, but then they use it less and less. And I live in Las Vegas, shit's hot as fuck out here. You would think motherfuckers would be using their pools every day.

12. PON3

PON3 Banned Banned

I would rAther use someone else's pool

13. fingercuffs

I'd literally use it every day. I've rented villas in Tuscany for fortnights and the only time I've not used our pool is when it's been raining. Which is silly because you're going to get wet anyway.

14. RedRocket44

RedRocket44 Brown Belt

Growing up, my parents had one of those redneck above ground pools, kind of like this.

[​IMG]

Similar to the picture, my dad built a deck on it too, along two sides though. I shouldn't call it redneck, it was actually pretty nice. It was a decent size, probably the same as the picture, or maybe bigger.

We had it from the time I was probably 7 or 8, till my teens. As a kid I used it a lot, but started using it less and less. After a while a lot started breaking on it. The pump. Then a liner. One day one of the metal side panels actually broke apart, and all the water came out. The pool was near the driveway, so all the water flowed down the driveway and into the street. It was like a mini tidal wave. That was the final straw, my parents got rid of it after that. It wasn't bad as a kid, but I never had to pay for any of it. All I had to do was occasionally net the pool, but we had one of those solar covers to keep it warm, so it didn't get that dirty anyway.

When I moved out, the second place I roomed at had an inground pool. I had graduated college and was working full time, but the house was near a college in the city, so everyone who lived there other than me was a student. The house would be empty from April to September because they would go home, so I was the only one and had to do all the maintenance. I lived there for 4 years because for 4 months of the year I had a house to myself, and I worked full time and was out at friends / baseball / gym / etc, so I basically only needed a place to sleep. Plus my rent was only $400/month all inclusive, which is dirt cheap in my area.

The owner of the house was probably 5 years older then me and worked overseas, but he would come home every Victora Day weekend in May and open the pool. By mid June / early July the pool was usally filthy because I stopped caring. There was a few times I had house party in late July / August, and I had to shock the pool again a few days before because it was full of algae. Just the time for maintenance was too much, especially working full time. I didn't have to pay for anything either, the owner would stock up on supplies in May, and if I needed anything else I'd just call / text him and tell him what I needed, and mail the recipts and he'd take it off my rent. It's definitely not cheap, and the pool was only openfrom May-August or September. I can only imagine if you keep it open year round if you live somewhere warm, and not Canada. I never saw the water bill either.

If you have enough money that you don't think about the cost, I'm sure it's nice to have no matter how much or little use it gets, but I 've always thought of it as something more for the kids anyway.

15. Grrrr

Grrrr BE NICE

My in-laws moved to Tennessee 6 years ago. They bought a beautiful house that has a pool outback. They are one of the few families that I know of that use their pool consistently. My father in law is in that thing damn near every day once the weather gets warm enough.

16. Milgrim

Milgrim Australopithecus - not your average hominid Platinum Member

The only regret is that we can't keep it open longer, because of where we live (near Toronto). The kids don't use it much anymore - probably once or twice a week - but the wife and I use it every day unless it's raining.

We swim laps every morning for exercise. It gets the blood flowing and the mind working - energizes you for the rest of the day. And we go for an evening swim before bed. That's more recreational, we just hang out and talk or ... well, you can have a lot of fun in a pool if you're creative.

17. IIIIIIII

IIIIIIII Titanium Belt

could be because you were in tuscany in italy lol. something tells me that the appeal of a backyard in a random house in vegas wouldn't be the same lol.

i agree with the threadstarter. pools are a waste of time, unless you're an avid swimmer, or throw house parties every weekend.

18. fingercuffs

Funny you quoted, I thought of you earlier watching Varner and his tattoo.

Considering the temperature in Vegas I don't think I'd be outside ever other than running from the house to the car et al. I't's been 33C here recently and that's bloody ridiculous in May.

19. oldshadow

oldshadow Steel Belt

We have a nice (high end) above ground pool. I do all my own work on it and order as much as I can from the internet.

The wife , kids and grandkids spend most of the summer in it and we have had it for about 5 years. If you don't do your own work it can get expensive. We get our supplies from a discount store also.

20. odog

odog A cat trapped in a dog's body

In high school a new kid transferred in from South Africa. I asked him what he missed from back home. He said his pool. He said everyone in South Africa had a pool.

I said "Everyone?"

"Yes, everyone."

"What about the black people?"

"What? No. Of course not."